WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To me the Rolex Submariner represents the best watch, and I can see myself wearing one as a daily wearer at a certain point in my life (I need to get one, first).

But until then, what do you guys think are the best Rolex Sub-style watches out there? By Submariner style I don't mean necessarily a homage, but any watch that fits the bill as a reasonably sized, incredibly versatile diver fit for any occasion, and pretty much an ideal daily wearer.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I just got this one a few days ago. Check the Squale Owner's thread in the Dive Watch forum for pictures of the more traditional looking Sub models. Incredible value for money at just over $400 new, IMO.

Reactions: hanzo

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Omega SMP is my favorite watch with a similar styling, but not exactly the best value.

·
Registered
440 Posts
if you really want to go with best value hands down it is the bagelsport steelback, 30 dollars automatic movment, full steel case and not bad to look at....a lot of value at that price, and if it ever does get messed up as a daily watch you just chuck it

·
Registered
15,286 Posts
Nivrel, to me, have great looking pieces at very fair/decent prices. 2 of their divers, pics from their site . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
A Submariner (or Submariner-like) watch goes with anything. I have worn my Sub for over a decade and it goes well with a jeans/t-shirt, Tux (sort of lol), suit, you name it. In my opinion its the most versatile watch out there.

I am saving up for some other watches because its time to expand the options but if I had to grab one watch for any occasion this would 100% be it.

EDIT: And I don't think there is a better value for a Submariner-like watch...than an actual Submariner. If you don't want to get one new, pick one up at auction then get it serviced. I've seen some fantastic deals on Subs at auction here in New York.

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
how close is too close for you?

I quite like how the Davosa Ternos has evolved since it got a ceramic bezel insert.
Those larger numerals makes it a little different to a straight up clone and the blue they have is less obvious too, as most people don't know that the Submariner even comes in blue (albeit white gold but that's a different topic).

Not bad for £500

·
Registered
20,990 Posts
Depends on what you consider affordable, I guess. The Seiko MarineMaster 300 is probably a great Submariner alternative, and they cost about a quarter of what a Rolex Sub costs.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Honestly? Best value Submariner? The Rolex Submariner.

·
Premium Member
21,829 Posts
Steinhart Ocean Vintage. Vintage sub look so even if you get a real sub later, you can still wear it.
I second that recommendation. This is a photo of mine when I had it, I regret selling it, and I'm actually considering getting another one.

Reactions: PrasadD and drhr

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Until you can afford a Sub, how about a restored vintage Seiko diver. Caution, you might never get a Sub.

Picture from down under ala jason_recliner

·
Registered
872 Posts
I'd probably hunt down a MK II Nassau or a Kingston. Amazing value right there! I'm more than likely going to buy one this year- and I own a Submariner.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
way too many sub-clones out there, seriously, and they aren't cheap either at $500-$600. The best value is the least expensive with the best quality and the most similarity I guess. I'd have to pick Steinhart line, which is Swiss made. However the date magnifier sucks and it really doesn't magnify at all, so I would take out the cyclops or get the vintage red. Japanese would be SKX007 at $200 off Amazon. Squale seems pretty good and the date magnification seems pretty good at 2.5, but I've read a few threads saying that the lume is pretty bad, or dial quality isn't that good.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts