WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all -

I am curious what the board thinks is the best value Seiko line/sub-brand that is not "Seiko 5", which are routinely spoken of as best value Seikos (which they possibly are). I have got one of those. It's a "dress" watch. While I like it, the two logos -- the Seiko and the 5 -- throws the balance/look off in my view. That's why I put 'dress' in quotes because I would never actually wear it to a formal event given that it can't shake off the casual look because of the '5' applied. Do I sound crazy? If they just took the '5' off, these would look so much nicer!

Anyway, while I could afford a much "better" watch in the $2000+ range, I'm not sufficiently into this hobby (yet) to justify that. So I'm curious what people think are the next level up from Seiko 5 within the Seiko brand, say between $100 to $500. If you feel other brands can fit this description, please feel free to include, say Tissot or whatever else you know of. Particularly interested in dress watches but open to anything that would work in a fairly conservative formal business setting (i.e. suits or at least sports coats often at work). Thank you for your help!

If none can be found, my next thought is to wait a little and become a 'one watch' person with pre-owned, either Rolex or JLC or whatever else. I'm a little skeptical of 'the middle' $1000 to $3000 range where there's a lot of proliferation of brands. It seems to me that having one $5000 watch may be better than five $1000 watches. Again, I'm kind of new to this with an on-again-off-again interest, which has been more on recently. So would welcome views on this as well, though I understand it's possibly all a matter of personal view once you move past the quartz watch for simple time-telling.

·
1,892 Posts
Kohl's has been running specials on the Seiko Samurai save the ocean. It was $265 yesterday after discount. I don't think you can do much better value for Seiko than that watch at that price.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
I'd say Orient gives the same or better value than the Seiko5 line at similar pricing. They're even sort of part of the Seiko family (Orient is a subsidiary of the same parent as Seiko watches).

There are, of course, plenty of high value offerings in the micro-brand world as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all! I think I'm going to get a SARB035. Fits the look and the price I'm looking for perfectly. Will likely change the bracelet to a leather strap. Love that it is below 40mm too. The only potential problem seems to be the thickness at 11mm. Do those that have it found it to be too thick? Particularly, is it able to slide under a dress shirt cuff easily without catching? When I tried on a friend's GS (that was 12mm I believe), it was not easy to get the cuff to slide over it.

If thickness turns out to be a problem on this one, are there any others that have the look of the SARB035 (from any brand, not just Seiko) that you recommend that are below 40mm and below 10mm thickness?

SCVS013 is a nice looking watch too, but I cannot find it anywhere at a reasonable price. Or even an unreasonable price!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I would personally go for an Orient Star Classic. A true Japanese made watch. They can be had for around $300. I absolutely love this watch but it's a touch small for me @ 38.5mm. I still might pick one up one day. It comes in a black dial as well.

ORIENT_STAR_CLASSIC_FACE1.jpg

·
1,892 Posts
Thank you all! I think I'm going to get a SARB035. Fits the look and the price I'm looking for perfectly. Will likely change the bracelet to a leather strap. Love that it is below 40mm too. The only potential problem seems to be the thickness at 11mm. Do those that have it found it to be too thick? Particularly, is it able to slide under a dress shirt cuff easily without catching? When I tried on a friend's GS (that was 12mm I believe), it was not easy to get the cuff to slide over it.

If thickness turns out to be a problem on this one, are there any others that have the look of the SARB035 (from any brand, not just Seiko) that you recommend that are below 40mm and below 10mm thickness?

SCVS013 is a nice looking watch too, but I cannot find it anywhere at a reasonable price. Or even an unreasonable price!

Thanks again.
Best to go ahead and order the SARB035 from Amazon while they still have the good price. The SARB has been discontinued, and you might have a real problem finding one.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Seiko (prospex and pressage) and micro brands (holy cow you get a solid watch from Helson, Armida, Raven, H2O, etc...) are IMHO the best budget watches. You really get a lot from your money.

Once you step up another $500 or so, Sinn, Damasko, Nomos, Stowa, and Oris are REALLY solid watches for what you pay. That $1000-1500 range gets you a super nice watch from any of those companies.

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
I would personally go for an Orient Star Classic. A true Japanese made watch. They can be had for around $300. I absolutely love this watch but it's a touch small for me @ 38.5mm. I still might pick one up one day. It comes in a black dial as well.

View attachment 13697295
This.

I owned it and it rotated on my wrist with a JLC and a Breguet, and held its own.

A $300 watch has NO business being so good!

Sent from my BBF100-6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: JohnnyKarate
1 - 15 of 15 Posts