WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone.. I'm going to be buying a slightly used watch between 4 and $5000
I know this is a broad question and that there are countless choices in this price range.. I am a 22 year old guy and will be wearing this watch to restaurants and parties. I want it to be somewhat modern and stylish.. but at the same time be a great brand which will retain value.. My choices for now have been Rolex, Panerai, and IWC...

OPEN TO ANY SUGGESTIONS

Thanks

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
1. Type of watch (dress, diver, pilot, etc.)?
2. Size of watch?
3. In-house movement important to you?
4. Want something easily recognizable, or would prefer something from a brand only a WIS would know?
etc. ...

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
My first suggestion -
Zenith El Primero Chronomaster (cal. 410)

chronograph, complete calender, moonphase. Can be had pre-owned under $5000, but is about 39 mm dia (excluding crown) ...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Type of watch is sort of open although nothing too dressy like an F.P Journe or Patek
Size would be between 40mm and 44mm
In house isnt soo important but is nice..
4. Dont care as long as i like it

Thank You

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm a bit skeptical of zenith considering their used prices are pretty low compared to msrp..
Maybe this is just my opinion but a few of there models strike me as very pretentious..
Ill look around though.. Thanks

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
One of the major reasons for the discrepancy between MSRP and resale price in the past is that the future of Zenith was uncertain in the period from the mid '70s to the mid '90s when they were shuttled between Movado, Zenith Electronics and LVMH. It wasn't sure whether the company would be closed down during that period and lack of spare parts/servicability was always a scare. Even till a few years back it wasn't certain whether LVMH would keep Zenith (or sell to another group). Things have been a bit confused on the design front as well, hopefully that will change soon with Dufour taking such an active interest in Zenith as a true "manufacture".

The period between the '30s and the '50s were the salad days for Zenith when they bested all-comers in the then-popular observatory/chronometry timing competitions. Omega and later Longines would supercede Zenith's hegemony in that sphere. The El Primero is one of the finest automatic chronograph movements available even today (perhaps with the exception of some Breguet, F. Piguet and GO calibers), over 40 years after its introduction. The calibers 670, 680 (one of the thinnest auto calibers, one JLC caliber is thinner) and their derivatives are no slouches either.

There are definitely quite a lot of options for you - other than Zenith, I would look at pre-owned Glashutte Originals, Jaeger-LeCoultres, Girard-Perregaux and IWC.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Simply put, I wouldn't. Not for that price, not at your age (unless your fantastically wealthy). Get something nice, but less expensive. An Omega, a nice Hamilton, a Baume and Mercier, a Tag. See what you like. See if you're into watches at all.

If you're insistant on spending that kind of cash buy a Rolex - something like an explorer or a datejust or a Submariner. That way, when and if you decide you'd rather have the cash you can quickly sell it for not a lot less than you paid.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Being stylish is about doing/wearing whatever you like regardless of the opinions your choices may generate. Asking people to make the choices for you is about as far away from having 'style' as you can get.

My advice: walk into several jewellers and see what takes your fancy.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Absolutely agree with the opinion that you should make your own decisions about which watch to get. Do not think of a watch as an investment, think of it as a companion, something that will stay with you for years to come (if you decide wisely - if not, there's no better teacher than Flipperville :-d ... the more you flip, the more you learn? Perhaps so ...). So my advice as a lot of others have already said - get the piece that "sings" to you.

What you can learn about from other people are interesting bits about history, personal experiences/anecdotes and technical details ... this forum can be a treasure-trove of information.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
guys relax...
i dont care for impressing others.. i just want to enjoy my watch.. if i wanted to impress people i wouldnt wear my Olech & Wajs or Ocean7 watches..

I just wanted a variety of watches too look at that i may have not thought of already like zenith... If im spending the most i ever spent on a watch i want it to be perfect for me.. not just another brand that i'd get bored of.. im pretty sure its popularity in the watch world would make me happy aswell.. instead of knowing that my 5000 dollar watch is just as appreciated as the timex tht i wore in junior highschool

Srry for essay
Thank You again

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
How about an Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 8500?

Or a Girard-Perregaux Classic Elegance (Ref. 49570)?

Both can serve as multipurpose watches. The GP may look bland in this picture, but it looks absolutely stunning in the metal, top notch! I might go in for one of these 2 watches in less than 2 years time. You might need to get the GP pre-owned to get it under $5000, although I've seen NOS pieces offered for around $4000. Of course, Rolex and some Panerai models would do nicely too.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Personally, If I were shopping in this price range...I'd be looking at standard Breitling Navitimers. :-!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
You want to be somewhat modern and stylish without being pretentious?

Did you look at any of Grand Seiko watches?

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
You want to be somewhat modern and stylish without being pretentious?

Did you look at any of Grand Seiko watches?
The Grand Seiko automatics are great, especially the hi-beat models (36,000 vph)! :p:p

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Try Rolex DSSD since keeping resale value is important to you. I never liked the date magnifier..

Otherwise, I do really like the JLC Master home time or Blancpain FF (which may be ok even for the resale since you are looking at used) both can be had if you really look around.

It is a watch with great presence.

Good luck.

You must be doing well considering at that age, my car was cheaper than the watch you are looking at. Keep up the good work.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts