WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was reading through a similar thread where the bar was set at $300, and it occurred to me that while there are certainly some terrific watches at that price-point, $300 is still just a little low for those truly amazing, some-guy's-ex-wife-is-selling-his-collection-out-of-spite steals that come along every once in a great while.

The sweet spot for those is usually right around $500, in my experience. So with that in mind, what's your best $500 or under watch find?

Here's a few of mine:

TAG Heuer Grand Date, NIB, $475

jomashop_2272_511655682.jpeg

Bell & Ross Type Demineur, LNIB, $475

typedem.jpg

Maurice Laxroix Miros Automatic Diver, LNIB, $450

P6150361.jpg

(All borrowed pics, as I don't have any of them anymore)

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I posted my personal watch on the other thread. Regardless at this price point, I think it's hard to beat a Seiko Sumo.

·
Registered
33 Posts
How do you go about finding such deals? Just search the bay everyday or is there another website?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts

·
Banned
417 Posts
those truly amazing, some-guy's-ex-wife-is-selling-his-collection-out-of-spite steals that come along every once in a great while.

The sweet spot for those is usually right around $500, in my experience
So obviously you're trying to track down all the guys on here who purchased the watches your (ex) wife sold from your collection out of spite.

Because if you weren't, you'd take a few seconds to use Google or the search function to find these threads:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/what-best-deal-youve-gotten-watch-825813.html

https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/best-deal-watch-youve-ever-gotten-866956.html

https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/i-think-best-deal-ive-ever-gotten-watch-new-addition-625026.html

https://www.watchuseek.com/f74/what-best-deal-you-ever-got-watch-425525.html

https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/watch-your-collection-represents-your-best-value-purchase-903733.html

to name a few.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The only one of those links not 4 months to 3 years old is the last one, and that's discussing the best value in one's collection, not the best deal one got. I agree the search function is important when one has a specific question... But if we zombie every casual subject on WUS, we'll end up with literally like six or seven threads each a thousand pages long. The list of topics discussed here is a short one, ha ha.

EDIT:

Whatever, actually. This is the second page of this thing, and besides me, exactly two people have weighed in with their best deals, the rest to buzzkill... Meh, let's end it.

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
While I will agree that some threads are remarkably redundant, I have to agree with Starter here. I am actually annoyed by the "Thread Police" who feel it necessary to post every related thread to a new one. While that may be fine, and helpful, for someone asking a question for information purposes, this is a forum not simply for mining information but probably more importantly this is a forum which by definition is established for interaction. So, if you read a thread that is too familiar, to you, to a thread you have already contributed to then simply move on to another thread or start one with a topic that is more interesting to you. My two cents. Now as for my best deal under $500 I would say my Raymond Weil. BTW in some of the previous threads I listed my Orient Mako and my Deep Sea but with the new $500 threshold it would definitely be my Raymond Weil. Starter, I was surprised at the price you got your ML Miros for... good deal.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Yup. Use the search function - find old threads with participation from some time in the past.

Do NOT post a reply in those old threads, because then you will be a Zombie Thread Re-Animator.

It is entirely against forum etiquette to start a thread on your own terms for any reason, and you are not allowed to participate or add to any conversation that is more than a few days old. If there are no current discussions available to fit your needs, pound salt. It is your first and foremost responsibility as the OP in any thread to thoroughly research that whatever it is you have to ask or offer has not already been done in some near permutation within the eleventy-billion threads and posts stored in the WUS archives.

:roll:

Similarly, don't start repetitive threads or conversations of your own. That's a basic rule of etiquette on any forum. The ones above are just speshul to this one. o|

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I've found that using the search feature goes a long way towards understanding what napel was likely referring to:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/watch-your-collection-represents-your-best-value-purchase-903733.html

Unless you think it's absolutely necessary that we have a best value thread for every dollar amount conceivable.
If you have nothing positive to add to the content of a thread that has it's intentions clearly spelled out in the title, take a hike.

Every dollar amount conceivable, really? It's $500. There are other threads that call out $200 and $300 and $400, so you better get cracking on insulting anyone starting those threads too! Be sure to use the search feature to find the threads I'm speaking of. And hell, you may find a newcomer to the hobby who's soul you can crush by posting your pompous opinions about not using the feature you love so much.

It's people like you and napel that make this place zero fun to come and visit. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves for treating people so poorly. But you won't because you're too busy hunting down productive people and bashing them for trying to expand some horizons.

The report button is the little triangle in the bottom left, knock yourselves out.

My best value is my Champlain Precisionist. Silky smooth sweep and a lot of detail and depth to the dial and housing. The strap is great quality as well.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Wow.. what seems like such an easy question got me thinking for quite a bit!

I've scored numerous vintage Omega's for under 500usd. Quite a few tuning forks as well. Double-crowned Super-Compressors as well. But on the other hand, also a large number of Swatches, G-Shocks and lower-end Seiko's. A vintage -worn-to-bits- Ollech & Wajs Earlybird. I could go on for ages.. but all of them gave me great joy!

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Perhaps not a piece that many would consider but I love the Suunto X-Lander abc watch. Not quite as intuitive as the Casio Pathfinder line but full of many cool functions. I've owned it for years and still have not figured out all of the functions.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts