WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Best watch for a graduation gift?

6K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  MyLord 
#1 ·
After saving up for a long while, I'm planning on buying myself a nice watch for my college graduation. I'm looking in the range of $6,000-9,000, and I'm trying to decide between the Jaeger LeCoultre Master Ultra Thin Moon 39 or the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak. I love each of these watches, but they're very different from each other. I like the simplicity of the Jaeger, its very understated. On the other hand, the Royal Oak makes a real statement. What do you guys think?

Also, with maybe just a few more years saving, I could be able to afford my grail watch (secondhand, for about $12,000). The A. Lange & Sohne Saxonia. Is it worth it? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

#3 ·
I forget that the original Royal Oak is actually quite restrained compared to its brash Offshore cousin, but I'd choose the JLC - one of my favourites, if not my favourite watch. Ever. Posting pictures of it is one of my favourite pasttimes here on WUS so thanks for giving me the opportunity!

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

#4 ·
What's going to be the purpose of this watch? Do you have other watches? Where will you be working?

Although many will be quick to disagree with me (many WUSers, I've learned, do not like the Royal Oak, although I believe many of them have in mind the Offshore), I think the Royal Oak would make a better "only watch." This is based on the general rule that an only watch or an all around watch should be a three-hand sport watch with a metal bracelet, not a dress watch or a tool watch.

If I only had one watch, I would not want it to be a leather strap watch. Although some think it's neurotic or maybe dandyish, it's actually pretty standard practice to match one's leathers. This is difficult when you have only one leather strap watch.

#6 ·
What's going to be the purpose of this watch? Do you have other watches? Where will you be working?

Although many will be quick to disagree with me (many WUSers, I've learned, do not like the Royal Oak, although I believe many of them have in mind the Offshore), I think the Royal Oak would make a better "only watch." This is based on the general rule that an only watch or an all around watch should be a three-hand sport watch with a metal bracelet, not a dress watch or a tool watch.

If I only had one watch, I would not want it to be a leather strap watch. Although some think it's neurotic or maybe dandyish, it's actually pretty standard practice to match one's leathers. This is difficult when you have only one leather strap watch.
I decided to wait until I was able to afford something of quality before throwing meaningless junk on my wrist, so this will be my first watch. I plan on collecting in the future, but for right now, this watch should be all-purpose

I'll be graduating with a degree in mechanical engineering, so I'll be wearing mostly business casual and occasionally a suit and tie. I think that the Royal Oak would be the best "all-purpose" watch, but I have been told that the JLC could serve as an all-purpose watch as well (then again, that could have just been the saleswoman doing her thing).

#5 ·
Yes, very different from each other, but can't go wrong with either. For a dressier/business watch, I'd go with the JLC. For a daily wearer I'd go with the AP, as I think it's more versatile.
To use your words, I think both watches will make "real statements", but what they say will depend on the people listening.

#7 · (Edited)
Personally, I would select a slightly more exciting JLC. One with some nice complications
I belive your budget is enough for that ( USD 9000)

#10 ·
For 500$ more you can get this:
JLC Master Control 8 days Power Reserve.

Not at a brick&mortar Ad, but from another reputable online seller (from Switzerland)

#13 ·
Id love a jlc...but id love a royal oak more! I love your dilemma

#14 ·
Bronte said:
I'm an advocate of wearing leather strap watches in casual settings, but from experience I can tell you that shiny black leather strap watches are only going to dress down as far as black loafers. They are too dressy for boat shoes and most winter boots and will mismatch much of what you wear. And they certainly will not go well with sneakers and such.

If I were you, I would strongly consider getting two less expensive watches. You can get far better than "junk on the wrist" for less than $10,000. Since you are just starting your collection, you are at great risk of having a tidal shift in your tastes. I would recommend against locking yourself in with a purchase of this gravity.

For $3500 each, you could get a Zenith Heritage Ultra Thin (black strap dress watch) and a Grand Seiko Automatic SBGR051 (metal bracelet sport watch). That would be a great start to the collection, under budget. Since I can already anticipate the response to the Grand Seiko, in its place you could look at an Omega Aqua Terra.
My experience tells me i should have bought one expensive watch instead of 2 cheaper ones, but thats just me, i regret not spending that extra few grand on my last watch, having something just that bit nicer can be money well spent i feel.

#19 · (Edited)
MyLord said:
Ok I really like the Hometime... just one question. Has the hometime recently changed designe? I see a ton of what look like Reserve de Marches being sold as Hometimes. Heres some photos...

Hometime 1:

Hometime 2:
JLC have updated the hometime model as those models show, although it kinda looks more like a gmt compared to the old one. Cant seem to find it on their website but i do like the day/night indicator.compared to the old 24hr indicator

#20 ·
I just don't get the royal oak cult. I think it's ugly. Chunky. For that kind of money, you shouldn't settle for anything less than beautiful. The jlc would do nicely.

Reactions: Janne
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.