WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello to all amazing forum members,

First post here after days of reading all over but not systematically.

I am soon to buy my first watch and wish to make it special, hence the 5k budget (give or take 10%).

So far I have narrowed my "eye-candy" to

• TAG Heuer Carrera Automatic Chrono Day-Date CV2A11.FC6235
  • EBEL Classic Hexagon GMT
  • strangely enough, a Victorinox Ambassador Chrono SKU 241150
I hope the above 3 pointers will give you idea of my visual taste and allow you to help me picking my first time piece.

To confirm, I am more than comfortable to go high as $5k but require expert guidance beyond shop clerks who go as far as "this looks good on you" o|

Thank you all for any pointers and advice. :thanks

EDIT: Forgot to mention that my all-time fav piece is the TAG Carrera 360 Limited Edition but it is WAY out of my price range

·
Moderator at Large
53,197 Posts
First of all: Welcome to Watchuseek.

Post moved. Inquiries wasn't the right place.;-)

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
this likely won't be a popular suggestion in these here parts, but i'd tell you to get a rolex. it's a horologically significant brand and safe bet for a first purchase. the pluses: decent resale, excellent after sales service, very accurate for a mechanical watch, very reliable and durable, timeless aesthetics, a true manufacture with an uninterrupted and horologically significant history, cache. you get it all with a rolex! the minuses: you will often be asked (usually by strangers) if it's real, there are haters out there.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
If I were to get a watch and my budget is $5k, a Tag is a brand I wouldn't consider at that pricepoint. I'd be considering Rolex, Panerai, Omega, IWC.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Buy pre-loved i.e used. Then, you can afford two very nice watches. ;-)

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First off - thank you for moving my post to the right place and generating so many responses!

I am most certainly looking for a 44-45mm watch - anything else looks small on my hand (as if I borrowed a female watch or something :) )

So - the majority so far recommend an Omega. I will most certainly take a walk and check them out. The Aqua Terra is something I have been checking out but so far never put on my hand.

I should clarify two more things - 1) I live in Geneva, Switzerland and 2) I wish to buy online - the local retailers have a strange vision of what MSRP is and also how far they can go for cash payment.

Any pointers to good online retailers or forum members where I can buy are welcome. :thanks

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How would this suit you?
I hope this does not hurt your feelings but - this is one ugly piece. I would not wear it even if they pay me to.

On a positive note, I am very pleased with the

Omega Aqua Terra Chrono: looks like a candidate. :)

I much prefer the hollow arrows of the Seamaster 300M but do not like the bulk of it. Overall, if I could change something about all the awesome Omegas out there - it would be "less bezel metal and more dial real-estate".

This is why I like the EBEL Classic Hexagon Ref 1215932 - not too "thick", little bezel thickness, clean curves, fits well on the hand. At the same time, the EBEL lacks that extra oomph the Omega and TAG have plenty of.

Thank you for being patient with a lost newbie and guiding me to my first watch. I am so new to the watch world, that I am actually uncomfortable to buy a pre-owned / pre-loved watch. I do not think I can yet venture into this territory. :-!

·
Registered
375 Posts
I own both a Tag Carrera and a Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean and I can tell you that they are both great timepieces.

Now, we have to get to the bottom of what you're buying your watch for beyond the simple pricepoint. If you're buying purely for prestige of the brand and noticeability, then everyone's right and you should probably get a Rolex, Omega, etc. But if you're looking purely for what YOU want, then who the hell cares about the brand. Just get one that fits your budget, feels great on your wrist, and looks good to YOU!

Out of the watches you initially mentioned, I'd get the Carrera. Why? Because I own one and can tell you that Carreras are fantastic watches.

Now, if I were to recommend a watch, then Omega would be the way to go, because I intend to slowly (or quickly!) burn off my meager earnings on Omegas and am absolutely in love with Seamasters and Speedmasters.

But you have to identify if you're looking for a watch you love or a watch that you're getting for its prestige or resale value.

Because for me, it wouldn't matter if the resale value was infinite because I intend to keep every one of my watches for life. As for prestige, at 28, I'm on the young side and need every ounce of first-look respect I get as a salesman. And I love each of my watches, even my first $200 Seiko.

Go with your heart because at that price point, you'd be hard-pressed to find a watch that isn't worth every penny.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Personally, I really love the ebel Hexagon. I just saw it the other day and it really is something. Of all the options presented I would go with the ebel or the tag on your list.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
So far I have narrowed my "eye-candy" to

• TAG Heuer Carrera Automatic Chrono Day-Date CV2A11.FC6235
  • EBEL Classic Hexagon GMT
  • strangely enough, a Victorinox Ambassador Chrono SKU 241150
Both Chronographs are fine, but I wouldn't take that EBEL. A second 12 hour display really isn't all that useful. Additional time zones should show 24 hours.

I am most certainly looking for a 44-45mm watch - anything else looks small on my hand (as if I borrowed a female watch or something :) )
Seems like you're looking for a larger chronograph style of watch. I personally like Glycine as they have a number of great watches in the larger sizes that I also wear. They're also not that expensive - you'd probably have a hard time spending $5,000 for most of their watches. Longines has some larger watches, up to 47.5 mm (the new L2.730.4.11.0 in particular is a beautiful looking watch.) There's really a huge selection of chronographs available up to $5,000...

With that said, I'm wondering if you really should spend $5,000 on a first watch. Are you going to wear that one watch all the time? Do you really know what one watch would make you the happiest? I know I couldn't wear just one watch. Besides the fact that I might need a dress watch, a casual watch, a beater, a chronograph, a multi-time zone watch etc., it would get a bit boring to always wear the same watch...

I'm not saying to buy a bunch of cheap, junk watches, but there are many wonderful watches that can be had for say between $1,000 and $2,000 - or less if you're willing to purchase pre-owned. There are also a number of wonderful boutique brands that most people haven't heard of who produce great watches for good prices. Look around the forums to see what's available.

And if you really do want only one watch close to the $5,000 price point, I'd get a simple, non-chronograph watch. Rolex Submariner, Omega Seamaster (GMT perhaps) or Planet Ocean, perhaps a Panerai Luminor sort of watch. I think you could wear something like that in more situations than a chronograph.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I should clarify two more things - 1) I live in Geneva, Switzerland and 2) I wish to buy online - the local retailers have a strange vision of what MSRP is and also how far they can go for cash payment.

Any pointers to good online retailers or forum members where I can buy are welcome. :thanks
Not sure if I'm right about this (maybe other forum members can set me straight if not), but I don't think you'll find many ADs for higher-end brands like Omega that will sell online. I think with many brands they're not actually allowed to. Over the phone, though, is a different thing. Once you choose the brand you're interested in, I'd do a search for ADs even well outside of your geographical location, and see if they do phone sales and are willing to ship. I've bought watches from out of state ADs at prices far below what my in-state dealers are willing to go to.

I also agree with HilltopMichael about the price range you're looking for... it's kind of a gray area as far as watches go. It seems like higher-end brands with in-house movements really start at $6k+ (like Glashutte, Zenith, etc.) with the exception of some non-chrono Rolexes., but outside of that you shouldn't really need to spend more than $2k, at which point you might as well get two nice watches, as HM suggested (or implied) ;-)

1 - 20 of 159 Posts