WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally acquired my first G-Shock. A Frogman, (GW-200MS-1) and naturally, since it's a watch that was released in 2009, it's gonna need a bit of a charge. I've got a few questions that some of you gurus out there might know.

What is the best way to charge it without frying it? It obviously wasnt cheap, and I'll kill myself if I ruin it by leavin it in the light...

If I just wear it around all the time, outside, or say, in a well-lit room, will that keep it charged?

And how long will this solar battery last before it kicks it and I'll have to buy a new battery?

Where should I go to replace the battery if need be? (I've heard some bad stories about local repair shops or jewelers)

I know I've got tons of questions, but I'm new to the whole solar battery thing lol.

Thanks

·
Registered
90 Posts
I started with a G9000MS1 Mudman, and now I have a G9300GB Mudman. When I first got the G9300, it was already on High battery. I charged it after I brought it down to Medium after playing around with it. I charged it a couple times before bed under a desk lamp. It takes too long to bring up to High these days. My watch is always under my sleeves when I go out, and I don't have a window sill that gets enough sunlight. So, it's been at medium for about 2 months now. :think:

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Just leave it somewhere sunny that doesn't get too hot, so not on a car dashboard but maybe a window ledge with the curtains open, for a while. It should say in the manual how long will result in full charge.

My Eco-drives tend to stay on medium forever too; that's actually OK, no big deal as the power reserve on solar watches is huge.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
If you have so many questions and doubts, I seriously doubt that a solar watch is the right choice for you. Just wear the thing or put it on a window sill, other than that I recommend a G with a CR2025 and you'll live happily ever after (for the next decade or more)

cheers

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Any light will charge it, but sunlight will charge it faster than any other source. If you're not wearing it during the day, keep it on a window sill. If you are wearing it, don't hide it under a sleeve. And above all, don't worry about it. The battery will last 10 years or so if you keep it charged up.

Reactions: ShaggyOtis

·
Registered
906 Posts
I put my new solar watches in the window facing south for a while. A morning in the sun is usually enough to keep them charged on H-level. If I don't wear them, they're on a table near a window. That system works for my G's, Pathfinders and Citizen Eco-Drives. :)

I also think you shouldn't worry too much about the solar thing. One of my solar G's was received this winter and it stayed on the M-level for over a month, but it ran fine.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I have far too many solar watches to keep them all by the window consistently. Even so, when they get a few days of reasonable exposure in the sunshine (either on my window sill or if I can wear them outdoors for a few hours), they charge up nicely even if they have been in a box for several months. Wear your watch. Keep in a windowsill every now and then where it can get some sunlight, it will be fine.

It is of course reasonable to have questions about a technology that is new to you -- no worries there. You'll find this is a pretty robust and easy technology and the watches should last a long time before you need to replace to solar cell. I have Raysman models from 1998 that are still on their original batteries.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you have so many questions and doubts, I seriously doubt that a solar watch is the right choice for you. Just wear the thing or put it on a window sill, other than that I recommend a G with a CR2025 and you'll live happily ever after (for the next decade or more)

cheers
Watches were made for wrists, wear it or sell it

Okay, I'm obviously gonna wear the thing. Why would I care about the battery life if I didnt intend to use the watch daily?
And why should a solar watch be a bad choice to me? I'm simply curious about the battery. I'll bet you'd be too on your first solar watch purchase.

And thanks everyone for the answers. I'm far less skeptical now!

·
Registered
359 Posts
The Solar G-Shock doesn't need direct light to charge, just some light (preferably natural sunlight) will do. I think the manuals give an indication as to the required exposure and you'll get the impression that it doesn't require all that much light. The best way is to just wear the watch and not give any thought to it. It will pick up enough light to maintain a full charge. However, I have too many solar watches to keep on my wrist so I keep them on a table near a window and they have all maintained a full charge. I would add a caveat about keeping them by the window sill - I wouldn't put a watch where sunlight would hit it directly. UV radiation degrades resin over time.

Frankly, a solar watch is no trouble at all. No need to get too concerned. Just don't store them long term in a drawer and they will be fine.

·
Registered
892 Posts
It always amuses me the Paranoia around "Charging" solar Casios. None of mine have ever come off of H in normal use, Sometimes on wrist sometimes off wrist.

My wife has the ladies version of the WS-200 (A very underrated module that I would LOVE to see in a G case)

We moved from the UK to Australia in november last year. Her watch went in with all her belongings in our container we shipped on the 9th November. It arrived here on the 9th February. He watch having been in the TOTAL DARK for 3 months came out of the box exhibiting a H indication on the display.

Stop the paranoia boys... LOL. 3 months in the dark and still on H - to me you're all worrying over nothing...

Just enjoy them

Mark

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
If you are worried about over heating the watch while it charges, put it in a glass of cool water. Once you have got the charge up to "H", it should maintain that charge just with normal exposure to light. It might take a day or 2 of direct sunlight to get the charge full, but once it's there, maintenance is no trouble at all. The water will help keep the display cool while in direct sunlight. Personally, I leave mine on a watch stand in a well lit room (indirect sunlight) to keep it charged while I'm not wearing it & have never had any issues.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Stop the paranoia boys... LOL. 3 months in the dark and still on H - to me you're all worrying over nothing...
Paranoia? Just read through the forum and you'll find hundreds of questions, doubts and complains about solar watches, I don't think that all those people are paranoid....

3 month in darkness doesn't impress me at all, how about ten years and still running....;-)

cheers

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
Paranoia? Just read through the forum and you'll find hundreds of questions, doubts and complains about solar watches, I don't think that all those people are paranoid....

3 month in darkness doesn't impress me at all, how about ten years and still running....;-)

cheers

Well ... here's 12 years and still going strong:

But I'll do you one better and give you 16 years and still running:

;-)

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
And what battery operated watch do you have that will go 16 years without a new battery?

;-)
some of the original DW5600Cs and even some of the DW5000s have been reported to go 20 years on the original battery. I have one still running on it's original battery and both of my G-2000s have gone 10 years

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
some of the original DW5600Cs and even some of the DW5000s have been reported to go 20 years on the original battery. I have one still running on it's original battery and both of my G-2000s have gone 10 years
I guess that makes my DW5000 a real battery hog:

I've had to replace the battery twice since I bought it in Tokyo in 1983 ...

;-)

1 - 20 of 191 Posts