WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

181 - 191 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
My half dozen solar watches go onto the window sill about once per month, just for good measure. I pick a sunny day and a southeast facing window with plenty of air flow around it (no curtains, shades, etc.). They never seem to lose power.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Let's keep this old thread alive!

I only have two G's and one Pro Trek at the moment. It fluctuates of course. :)
Anytime the old ball and chain thinks I have too many, I show her some awesome pictures of large collections I find here and that keeps her off my azz.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have a Sun Bathing Party
Crashing the Solar Purty by Wolfsatz, on Flickr
Love the watches.

Personally I wouldn't leave any watch static in direct sunlight for any length of time. The UV along with heat can degrade the case (if not metal) and the dial or damage the LCD display. The solar cell also isn't an industrial solar cell and being very thin will heat up really quickly with direct sunlight and can't dissipate that heat to the air easily, and a hot solar cell is less efficient than a cooler one. Also a hot watch equals a hot battery, and batteries don't charge as well when hot and age faster. Also in bright sunlight the solar cell will be producing a much higher voltage than nominal so means the charging regulator is running hot burning off the extra voltage to keep it it low enough for the battery, its all extra strain on the electronics.

Much better to keep them in the shade facing a bright sky for a few hours or by a window that doesn't get direct sun for a day (if needing to go from quite low to Hi) and go for longer and softer rather than faster and rougher. Solar panels don't need direct sunlight to charge the battery. Just my opinion of course, and Casio themselves don't seem to warn about this practice.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Personally I wouldn't leave any watch static in direct sunlight for any length of time. The UV along with heat can degrade the case (if not metal) and the dial or damage the LCD display. The solar cell also isn't an industrial solar cell and being very thin will heat up really quickly with direct sunlight and can't dissipate that heat to the air easily, and a hot solar cell is less efficient than a cooler one. Also a hot watch equals a hot battery, and batteries don't charge as well when hot and age faster. Also in bright sunlight the solar cell will be producing a much higher voltage than nominal so means the charging regulator is running hot burning off the extra voltage to keep it it low enough for the battery, its all extra strain on the electronics.
Oh, but... "the sun is free!" 🤭 This is the most oddly contentious subject on these forums. There is a faction that believes if you don't use the sun, you've committed solar watch heresy! And, it's been going on for over a decade on this forum, alone. I looked. LOL!

The rancorous debate over this seemingly benign subject inspired a blog article by me.

And, the notion of using ARTIFICIAL light to maintain the charge of a solar watch collection?!?? Hoo-boy! That will even draw out name calling! LOL!

Just my opinion of course, and Casio themselves don't seem to warn about this practice.
Actually... they do. From one of my many Casio manuals:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Lots of helpful replies already :p

If this is your only solar watch, then don't sweat it. Wearing it under normal conditions even occasionally will keep it charged. If you (like me) have a bunch of solar watches, then setting the unworn ones on a window sill every month or so might make sense. Snowback's approach (submerged in water in direct sunlight) will also work if you want to charge it fully in a short time. You won't hurt the Frog. There is not really a wrong answer.

·
Registered
Just one more TX Timex Enabler Club
10,075 Posts
Love the watches.

Much better to keep them in the shade facing a bright sky for a few hours or by a window that doesn't get direct sun for a day (if needing to go from quite low to Hi) and go for longer and softer rather than faster and rougher. Solar panels don't need direct sunlight to charge the battery. Just my opinion of course, and Casio themselves don't seem to warn about this practice.
Phil,
Common sense still applies! I leave them early in the morning or afternoon... so that sun light is indirect.. not enough time to get them hot... they are placed under a tree canopy.. so they get sun light.. shade.. sun light.. shade... sunlight.. shade....

there are many different methods to charge your solars..... not one method is better than another. Peace!

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I don't wear mine much (5610) but I keep it on my nightstand where it gets artificial light most of the time and in the month plus I've owned it, it's never left H. I use it as much as a reference as anything else (even though I could have just as easily used my phone).

·
Registered
Just one more TX Timex Enabler Club
10,075 Posts
Love the watches.

Phil..
you need to provide me with your recipe as I am failing to fry any of my watches today. Hosting another Sun Bathing Purty... they've been at it the whole day. So far.. Nada!
Maybe the low Autumn Sun Angle that is playing tricks with me. :LOL: :whistle:
However, on a serious note.
My Citi World AT has started ticking.... very surprisingly, it was totally stopped when I checked this morning; it went from High to Stopped in a relatively short amount of time. Not sure if the new storage location is making the sync work harder and emptying the batt faster.

Solar Bath by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

Nothing Hot here after 6 hours

·
Registered
7,752 Posts
Oh, but... "the sun is free!" 🤭 This is the most oddly contentious subject on these forums. There is a faction that believes if you don't use the sun, you've committed solar watch heresy! And, it's been going on for over a decade on this forum, alone. I looked. LOL!

The rancorous debate over this seemingly benign subject inspired a blog article by me.

And, the notion of using ARTIFICIAL light to maintain the charge of a solar watch collection?!?? Hoo-boy! That will even draw out name calling! LOL!
and yet, the only person continuing the debate is the guy that has all the sun in the world, spends hours writing articles about it and fussing over watches that dont need extra light but its too much work to charge them any other way 🤣 so much debate raging! so many cares! hooboy indeed! 🤣
ive never seen anyone go so far out of their way to promote coolfires. whats going on here? 🤔

Actually... they do. From one of my many Casio manuals:
View attachment 15559547
did you miss the bit where it says "high-temp conditions"? and the emphasis is on the last part "FOR LONG PERIODS" ie. short periods is fine, in the sun is fine.

actually long periods is also fine cos thats how ive always charged mine for well over a decade and they continue to function as normal 🤷‍♂️

181 - 191 of 191 Posts