WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

141 - 160 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Aquarium lights will work if close to the surface. As long as they are LED or florescent. Incandescent will over heat and don't even try with metal halide lamps... You will melt it... LOL

I have a couple of fish tanks and i just chucked at the idea of saving desk space by just plopping my solar models in them overnght and fishing them out in the morning haha

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
One of the reasons I like G's is, I've always had aquariums....hands in them.... at one point I had near 50 in the basement of our old house, all species specific. Was into breeding discus and uaru's, and killie's. When I was a kid in Hawaii I was the only source of black lace veil tail angels on the islands. Made good money for a kid. Also worked in a store and my pay, went to equipment. My bedroom was a bed, a recliner, stereo (with all the good rock albums) and tanks.

Sent from Capt Kirk's Communicator

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think they were led grow lights. Im not really sure since different experiments used different lights. Sometimes they would be red and blue led grow lights, other times it would be LED uv lights. I think for the most part it was LED UV's.
hmm LED grow lights.. any new Baby-Gs turned up?

·
Registered
7,752 Posts
Once I forgot the watch directly to the sun in my car.the dial was white and the watch was too hot to wear it.thankfully after a while the dial went black as it was

Στάλθηκε από το Redmi Note 5 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
completely normal for it to black out, but as per the manual, i wouldnt make it a habit of leaving it in your car

·
Registered
7,752 Posts
@vignesh98 what kind of lights? LED? i am wondering if my LED aquarium lights would suffice.. I tried a flashlight on an older G-7301 and it worked, but not so on my Rangeman..

I am continuing its sun tanning as i type this.. but due to the angle of the building and the surrounding trees, i can probably squeeze in 3 hours of sunlight through the glass) each time.. 2 hours was enough for the Mudman to move from M-H .. but the Rangeman hasn't budge.
ambient daylight is still way quicker than anything artificial, so leaving it on window sill for the full day will at least get you the equiv. of another hour or more of direct sunlight.
the ranger could be at the bottom of the M level, which is usually the largest level to "fill" so just leave it there for a few days, i'd go a week just to be sure its completely topped off |>

·
Registered
582 Posts
ambient daylight is still way quicker than anything artificial, so leaving it on window sill for the full day will at least get you the equiv. of another hour or more of direct sunlight.
the ranger could be at the bottom of the M level, which is usually the largest level to "fill" so just leave it there for a few days, i'd go a week just to be sure its completely topped off |>
ive never had to top off my G's via that method. im always out and about with a rotating collection and im intrigued at how long a g shock kwould have to be stored for it to sit on a windowsil for a week.

·
Registered
249 Posts
doing that.. but behind a window... can only try to do the windowsill when i am home due to the pesky birds.. I think my rangeman spent 11 months in a closed box on M

·
Registered
582 Posts
doing that.. but behind a window... can only try to do the windowsill when i am home due to the pesky birds.. I think my rangeman spent 11 months in a closed box on M
11 MONTHS!!!! Jesus i sell off a watch if it stays in the box for a week. dont solar models have a 6 month hibernation period without the sun and then the battery has to be replaced after that?

·
Registered
7 Posts
My mudman when it's placed on total zero light environment, the watch stops moving and the dial is blank and black.when i lift it then works again.that's how power reserve function works

Στάλθηκε από το Redmi Note 5 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

·
Registered
249 Posts
11 MONTHS!!!! Jesus i sell off a watch if it stays in the box for a week. dont solar models have a 6 month hibernation period without the sun and then the battery has to be replaced after that?
think the batteries can last 6-8 months once fully charged and used "normally" ("normally" being defined by Casio as using the EL once, some functions once or twice.) without further exposure to light.

from the manual..
normal usage.PNG

and from the product info site

Approx battery operating time:
8 months on rechargeable battery (operation period with normal use without exposure to light after charge)
23 months on rechargeable battery (operation period when stored in total darkness with the power save function on after full charge)

and it finally registers H after perhaps a total of 8hours (over 3 days) of charging behind a window!
while i am not too bothered as to whether the batt is H or M for day today use, i just want to be sure that I am on the upper M level rather than lower M level.

·
Registered
582 Posts
think the batteries can last 6-8 months once fully charged and used "normally" ("normally" being defined by Casio as using the EL once, some functions once or twice.) without further exposure to light.

from the manual..
View attachment 14552229

and from the product info site

Approx battery operating time:
8 months on rechargeable battery (operation period with normal use without exposure to light after charge)
23 months on rechargeable battery (operation period when stored in total darkness with the power save function on after full charge)

and it finally registers H after perhaps a total of 8hours (over 3 days) of charging behind a window!
while i am not too bothered as to whether the batt is H or M for day today use, i just want to be sure that I am on the upper M level rather than lower M level.
Damn i think its time for me to invest in one if those Rangemans.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Deep-discharge damage occurs beyond the point where the watch ceases to operate (23 months in example above). Because the cell experiences a small amount of self-discharge, and the watch - even though "off" - contributes some parasitic drain. So over time the cell voltage gets lower and lower and bad stuff happens internally.

This takes a long time. The initial period to discharge the cell (23 months in above example) plus several more years to deep-discharge it. This is why not every solar watch can be revived, but many can.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Deep-discharge damage occurs beyond the point where the watch ceases to operate (23 months in example above). Because the cell experiences a small amount of self-discharge, and the watch - even though "off" - contributes some parasitic drain. So over time the cell voltage gets lower and lower and bad stuff happens internally.

This takes a long time. The initial period to discharge the cell (23 months in above example) plus several more years to deep-discharge it. This is why not every solar watch can be revived, but many can.
so either keep it in the sun once every once in a while, and dont leave it in the box for more than 2 yerars?

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Basically, yes. Unless it's a, collector piece, if you haven't worn it in, 2 yrs, sell it.

Sent from Capt Kirk's Communicator

·
Registered
7,752 Posts
ive never had to top off my G's via that method. im always out and about with a rotating collection and im intrigued at how long a g shock kwould have to be stored for it to sit on a windowsil for a week.
a week is just an arbitrary, safe bet amount to account for cloudy days and to make sure its properly topped off, its usually alot less.
it doesnt have to be stored, heavy use of sensor functions, light, alarm etc with little exposure to sunlight over a month or 2 could have the tank low on juice

141 - 160 of 191 Posts