WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

161 - 180 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
7,752 Posts
doing that.. but behind a window... can only try to do the windowsill when i am home due to the pesky birds.. I think my rangeman spent 11 months in a closed box on M
behind a window is fine, a little slower but at least the birds arent going to have expensive nesting materials. i usually have mine behind a window but outside when im home.
if youre ranger has been out of action that long then its probably sitting just above L. def. needs a good long drink!

·
Registered
249 Posts
behind a window is fine, a little slower but at least the birds arent going to have expensive nesting materials. i usually have mine behind a window but outside when im home.
if youre ranger has been out of action that long then its problem sitting just about L. def. needs a good long drink!
mine took about 8 hours (over 3 days) behind glass to hit H from M. I'm not too particular about the charge, but i would rather it be low H or high M at least..would have been bad if it was on low M ..

a week is just an arbitrary, safe bet amount to account for cloudy days and to make sure its properly topped off, its usually alot less.
it doesnt have to be stored, heavy use of sensor functions, light, alarm etc with little exposure to sunlight over a month or 2 could have the tank low on juice
CTL1616 Endurance test

·
Registered
7,752 Posts
mine took about 8 hours (over 3 days) behind glass to hit H from M. I'm not too particular about the charge, but i would rather it be low H or high M at least..would have been bad if it was on low M ..
3 days sounds about right.
it wouldnt have been bad if it was in low M, just longer to charge

CTL1616 Endurance test[/QUOTE]
interesting, more so taht someone would sit there pressing a button 100s of times! haha not so much endurance as it is abuse, def. not the same as regular heavy use

·
Registered
514 Posts
I fried my gw5600j and g5700, both too close to a desk light. The light burned their displays.

Then i tried to dismantle my dw5600j and simply could put the pieces back together, it's gone unfortunately...

Sent from my SM-J600GT using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
I fried my gw5600j and g5700, both too close to a desk light. The light burned their displays.

Then i tried to dismantle my dw5600j and simply could put the pieces back together, it's gone unfortunately...

What kind of desk light was it? Heat emitting or LED?

Sent from my LEX829 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
On Amazon Germany they have a designated charger light for solar watches (about Euro 16,-).
Maybe you find something like this?

·
Registered
44 Posts

Man there are days like that... sorry to know that.

But if you are in Brazil shouldn't that sun be more than enough to charge your G's ?

·
Registered
249 Posts
What kind of desk light was it? Heat emitting or LED?

Sent from my LEX829 using Tapatalk
Probably not LED.. LEDs are supposed to run cooler... I used a aquarium light 6” from the watch a while night once.. the LED light portion was ok , the light control was hot after 8 hrs of operation..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I bought that Amazon one with the rubber gaskets. It works great, stays cool and watch doesn't heat up. I also use both gaskets to keep it further from the watch, which I'm sure is completely unnecessary. It charges at a decent rate, surprisingly.

Coolfire

It is kind of expensive, but it does the job perfectly. Money well spent.

> everything else

·
Registered
514 Posts
Man there are days like that... sorry to know that.

But if you are in Brazil shouldn't that sun be more than enough to charge your G's ?
It is, it's just i hadn't wear them for 2 years , then i had the "great" idea to use my desk light to speed things up

·
Registered
2 Posts
Congratulations to the folks that literally made me participate in my very first forum involving absolutely anything.

I find the short-sighted view of some to be completely devoid of even the slightest semblance of objectivity, particularly with respect to the "watches are meant to be worn," comment, "so if you don't wear it, get rid of it," or something to that effect. As the aforementioned quote was not likely verbatim, suffice it to say that it's a paraphrase regarding prior commentary. What I find so incredibly annoying is that -- while there do exist a plethora of watch enthusiasts, stylistically speaking -- many of us enjoy far more than one time piece. There are only so many windows to display your watches in before inadvertently demonstrating to the world that you have a myriad of watches, be it "Tough Solar," "Eco Drive," or some other proprietary-powering system other than quartz, or automatic/manual wind.

I would encourage everyone to be a little more open minded to the prospect that some have far more watches within their respective collection than others. For instance, there is the one-watch man, who -- if an enthusiast -- is as admirable as he/she is rare. As a watch enthusiast, I am a bit ambivalent to this type of collecting mentality, and find it akin to the fabled unicorn; it's rare, but I bet ya that it's out there! I could not imagine existing in a world where I had no choice but to wear one watch all day, everyday; to me, it's lunacy. There are far too many amazing brands out there to be confined to one. Some say relational monogamy is unnatural, and they may be right, but watch monogamy is outright blasphemy.

For purposes of clarity, I am no watch snob, and while I do have watches that cost thousands, I also wear my most simplistic G Shock far more than my others; by this I am referencing the reference (please do not pardon the pun) "GBA-800," which for those in the know is a very inexpensive watch, retailing at around $100. However, I have my moments. There are times when my gwg1000-1a3, "Mudmaster," and me are inseparable for days on end. Next, I might feel like wearing a Movado, Hamilton, Omega, or even my Orient. Next, I will have my GST-B100 G-Steel on for a full week. I keep my home lighted, but sometimes, that is just not enough. In fact, I stumbled upon this forum specifically for this reason. I would like to find an alternative to demonstrating my catalog of watches in every window for all the criminals in my neighborhood to see. Did I mention that I live in a bad area? I say that rhetorically; I know that I didn't.

The primary crux of what I am saying is that I find people to be so judgmental, and genuinely guilty of tunnel vision and unadulterated subjectivity when they experience questions such as the one which was posited above. I urge anyone who has an inherent tendency to do this to stop and think. Not every person has the ability to safely display the entirety of their solar-powered watches on the window sill for all to see. In fact, some watch collectors may reside in urban areas, e.g. NYC, and have an apartment with only one window, or no windows, and have no choice but to sit outside all day with their watches to keep them charged. Now, of course, you might say, "but can't you just wear all of them, one-by-one until every solar watch is charged. If this is a question you have, my guess is that you are not a true watch enthusiast. My decision to wear a particular watch is an instinctual matter based on preferential degree, moods which alternate, nostalgia, and so on. My decision has never been a premeditated one.

Please do excuse the absence of brevity here. Truth be told, I am tired of reading people scoff at one another when they do not really know the situation of the person that they are berating for "not wearing their watch." I wear all of mine, and not a week goes by where I don't have them all on throughout that week, at least once, and no, this is not a contradiction. Sometimes, I am also less inclined to leave the house, lest it be forgotten we are in the midst of a global pandemic and travel outside of the confines of my home is on an as-needed basis.

Again, please do excuse the length of this message. This was clearly not intended for a great majority of this forums users'...

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Congratulations to the folks that literally made me participate in my very first forum involving absolutely anything.

I find the short-sighted view of some to be completely devoid of even the slightest semblance of objectivity, particularly with respect to the "watches are meant to be worn," comment, "so if you don't wear it, get rid of it," or something to that effect. As the aforementioned quote was not likely verbatim, suffice it to say that it's a paraphrase regarding prior commentary. What I find so incredibly annoying is that -- while there do exist a plethora of watch enthusiasts, stylistically speaking -- many of us enjoy far more than one time piece. There are only so many windows to display your watches in before inadvertently demonstrating to the world that you have a myriad of watches, be it "Tough Solar," "Eco Drive," or some other proprietary-powering system other than quartz, or automatic/manual wind.

I would encourage everyone to be a little more open minded to the prospect that some have far more watches within their respective collection than others. For instance, there is the one-watch man, who -- if an enthusiast -- is as admirable as he/she is rare. As a watch enthusiast, I am a bit ambivalent to this type of collecting mentality, and find it akin to the fabled unicorn; it's rare, but I bet ya that it's out there! I could not imagine existing in a world where I had no choice but to wear one watch all day, everyday; to me, it's lunacy. There are far too many amazing brands out there to be confined to one. Some say relational monogamy is unnatural, and they may be right, but watch monogamy is outright blasphemy.

For purposes of clarity, I am no watch snob, and while I do have watches that cost thousands, I also wear my most simplistic G Shock far more than my others; by this I am referencing the reference (please do not pardon the pun) "GBA-800," which for those in the know is a very inexpensive watch, retailing at around $100. However, I have my moments. There are times when my gwg1000-1a3, "Mudmaster," and me are inseparable for days on end. Next, I might feel like wearing a Movado, Hamilton, Omega, or even my Orient. Next, I will have my GST-B100 G-Steel on for a full week. I keep my home lighted, but sometimes, that is just not enough. In fact, I stumbled upon this forum specifically for this reason. I would like to find an alternative to demonstrating my catalog of watches in every window for all the criminals in my neighborhood to see. Did I mention that I live in a bad area? I say that rhetorically; I know that I didn't.

The primary crux of what I am saying is that I find people to be so judgmental, and genuinely guilty of tunnel vision and unadulterated subjectivity when they experience questions such as the one which was posited above. I urge anyone who has an inherent tendency to do this to stop and think. Not every person has the ability to safely display the entirety of their solar-powered watches on the window sill for all to see. In fact, some watch collectors may reside in urban areas, e.g. NYC, and have an apartment with only one window, or no windows, and have no choice but to sit outside all day with their watches to keep them charged. Now, of course, you might say, "but can't you just wear all of them, one-by-one until every solar watch is charged. If this is a question you have, my guess is that you are not a true watch enthusiast. My decision to wear a particular watch is an instinctual matter based on preferential degree, moods which alternate, nostalgia, and so on. My decision has never been a premeditated one.

Please do excuse the absence of brevity here. Truth be told, I am tired of reading people scoff at one another when they do not really know the situation of the person that they are berating for "not wearing their watch." I wear all of mine, and not a week goes by where I don't have them all on throughout that week, at least once, and no, this is not a contradiction. Sometimes, I am also less inclined to leave the house, lest it be forgotten we are in the midst of a global pandemic and travel outside of the confines of my home is on an as-needed basis.

Again, please do excuse the length of this message. This was clearly not intended for a great majority of this forums users'...
Replying to a dead thread just to b*tch about comments made by people who likely don't remember even making them. Geez.
Let it die a peaceful death

·
Registered
Just one more TX Timex Enabler Club
10,075 Posts
Replying to a dead thread just to b*tch about comments made by people who likely don't remember even making them. Geez.
Let it die a peaceful death
Blame the 'Recommended Reading' new WUS offering; if the objective of this is to resuscitate Zombie threads; it is doing a very good job all across WUS.

@Pager27 stopped reading at the 2nd paragraph. KISS!

·
Registered
7,752 Posts
Blame the 'Recommended Reading' new WUS offering; if the objective of this is to resuscitate Zombie threads; it is doing a very good job all across WUS.

@Pager27 stopped reading at the 2nd paragraph. KISS!
this is def. the reason but ppl also can see when the last post was made and choose if they want to post or not. why they choose to follow thru is anybody's guess 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
1 Posts
Very old thread but still relevant. Sharing my experience charging three CASIO Tough Solar watches (2 G-Shocks / 1 AQ):
  • They all came with the battery level at M
  • The initial charge to increase the battery level from M to F (H) took longer than subsequent charges. The battery level would increase very little by just wearing the watch (was Tough Solar working?)
  • For the initial charge, I put the watch inside a small, water filled clear plastic container, in direct sunlight (outdoors)
  • This was done to prevent the watch from overheating and to reduce UV damage
  • It took ~two hours for the battery level to go from M to F (H). This also quickly confirms that the Tough Solar system is working properly (and, also the watch's water resistance, of course)
  • Subsequent charges, to keep the battery at high, were done by putting the watch on a window sill (indoors), for one hour / week
  • The watches will operate for weeks at the M level, by just wearing them. I just like for my TS watches to be @ F (GST-B200B shown below)

·
Registered
1,265 Posts

Wow... that WAS a long screed, basically saying, "Do your thing and leave others to do their thing."

I've been quite baffled at the rancorous "debate" over this subject. I've only been here about 4 months, and it's remarkable how contentious the subject is. It is really quite simple. But, hobbyists are prone to delving into details of their favored avocations.

It inspired me to write this blog article just recently. You might enjoy it, @Pager27 .

·
Registered
Samsung Gear S3 Frontier. Casio G-Shock DW-6900SG. Casio G-Shock GW-5000. Rado Original R12408614.
1,771 Posts

Just wear your solar watches in a rotation.

Whether you have 4 to 20 solar watches, it's possible to rotate them all, if you wear your solar watches at all.

Edit: Didn't notice this was an old thread. Lol. How many threads about this topic do we have? 😂

161 - 180 of 191 Posts