Banned
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Value between $1k-$2k. UPS or USPS?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Just my .02

I trust USPS far more than I do UPS....especially for costly, breakable items.

I have witnessed UPS damage packages, fully acknowledge it while being fully insured , using their packaging...........but ultimately deny claims.

I would be cautious of using UPS Stores too........if a damage claim comes about, YOU legally have no claim against UPS. You need to request that UPS store dispute with them, as UPS store is privately owned. UPS Store and UPS arranges their shipping in such a way that UPS store is always the customer on file with UPS. UPS can refuse to communicate with you directly, regarding details pertaining to any claim.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
In my experience.....To he!! with UPS!!! The last item I shipped by them was "lost" and showed 7 days later than it was supposed to!! Not to mention the last four packages I've had delivered by UPS I've had to pick them up from the neighbors house after they called and said it was brought to them instead of me!!! This has happened 4 times!!! and they left them with 3 different neighbors out of the four times!!! MY GOD!!! it isn't that hard, is it??o|

The USPS has always been a lot faster at shipping items in my experiences anyway..and not to mention A LOT CHEAPER!!!

I may just have had crappy luck with UPS, but it's kind of bad when it happens with regularity!!:-s:think:eek:|

·
Registered
54 Posts
We have a corporate account with UPS so maybe our treatment is different but we've had very, very few issues while using them for 10+ shipments a day for the past 5 years as a business.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
funny, after I reply to this thread, I go to a friends house, and the neighbor brings a package over ......."Hi neighbor, UPS delivered your package to me by mistake"

·
Registered
20,782 Posts
I received lot of packages from the US (including watches, PDA, computer parts...) by USPS (Priority or Express) without problem.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Within the US, USPS Registered Mail, if you really what it to get to it destination and aren't to worried about how long it takes. That's how they shipped the Hope Diamond....

Pack well whichever service you decide to use.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I've used both and had no problems until recently. I use usps express with full insurance, but recently I sent a $400 watch priority without insurance, and it's been MIA since June 29th ! I've refunded the buyers money, and filed a claim twice...since they screwed up the claim number or something, and the CS # tells me to talk to the local PO, the local po tells me to talk to the destination po, and now I've called the consumer affairs # and still waiting for a call back from them!
I'm hoping it's a fluke, but I will never ship uninsured again!

If my watch shows up on your neighbors doorstep, can you let me know :0)

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I sold a display case on the 'bay and sent it UPS. It arrived damaged and I filed a claim for the $60. It was like pulling teeth dealing with UPS and required numerous telephone calls and dropping in at the local UPS store. It became more of the principle of the thing rather than the money to me. I think UPS only paid when they saw I was not going to go away. <|

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Just as a note, a UPS store will only accept packages that are insured to $1,000 I believe, after that, you must either bring it to an official UPS location or find a UPS person to hand it to, which then means you have to hope it stays in the brown truck until he/she gets back to the depot.

USPS has no problems with high insurance limits, at least in my experience. I ship many items from my small business and usually use USPS for the valuable stuff. If you use Click and Ship online, you get a discount and free tracking also on Priority Mail (the strange USPS name for package delivery service).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts