WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

New to the watch world. I have only one nice watch (Rolex GMT Master II two tone) and a bunch of cheap watches (g shock, Timex, swatch, citizen, etc.) Looking to buy a Chopard Mille Miglia and narrowed it down to 4 places that offer decent pricing and quality:
-Chrono24, crown and caliber, eBay, and StockX.

Are these places a good place to buy as long as they have original box and papers?

Thanks for reading

·
Premium Member
IWC Porsche Design Titan, IWC Pilot Spitfire, Sinn EZM 10
5,041 Posts
Chrono24 and eBay are agents for a variety of sellers, and it really comes down to the sellers as to whether or not they are trustworthy. EBay has a feedback rating at least. I am not as familiar with Chrono24.
Crown And Caliber is trustworthy, but I think you need to contact them with specific questions about the watch because they don't seem to disclose all the details in their format. A watch I bought was advertised as having original papers, which turned out to be just the plastic warranty card from 2014.
No experience with StockX, sorry. Hopefully others will be along shortly with better advice.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Chrono24 does not have an arbitration mechanism AFAIK, its you and the seller and you deal with them directly for better or worse. Ebay has feedback, ratings and will step in if things go wrong, but the sheer scale of things and the seemingly random decision making process sometimes makes a lot of folks very nervous. If you stick to a seller with lots of positive feedback and stars, odds are you are going to be ok, plus ebay tends to favor the buyer over the seller in general so selling on ebay is the bigger issue, buying, not so much as long as you follow general precautions.

C&C is a used watch reseller. They buy them, inspect them, resell them. StockX is similar but only in that they dont actually hold onto inventory as such, they only get involved at the time of sale. They too have mechanisms in place to ensure authenticity etc, but again the grading/rating system is a bit unclear when it comes to watches. From what I've seen and read about them, they have systems in place for bags and sneakers but for watches, I'm not entirely sure how involved their inspection and grading processes are. In general I find it easier to contact individual sellers and ask specifics about a watch since everyone has different things they are picky on. Some care more about box and papers vs minor scratches, some wont mind a mark or two on the crystal, but other want a pristine watch overall.

If you do manage to find the exact same watch on all 4 sites, I'd contact each to get more detailed information on the age, condition, operation of the watch before proceeding and then decide based on responses to those queries.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Pre-owned I would get in Japan:

1) Lot of used watch stores in concentrated areas of Tokyo and Osaka
2) Used stores only accept watches in very good / near-new condition for sale
3) Most used watch stores service the watches prior to sale
4) You get a duty-free discount of 10%
5) You can see the watch in person

Obviously it wouldn't be worth it for a cheaper watch but if you're going to make a big purchase, then seriously consider having a mini-vacation on top of the purchase.
Buy a budget return ticket and stay in a business hotel and it can be done relatively cheaply.

I'm sure Singapore and Hong Kong are similar, but you probably don't want to go to Hong Kong at the moment and I don't know the watch scene in Singapore.

·
Premium Member
9,472 Posts
First rule of buying used: buy the seller before you buy the watch.

Good points: lots of sales, lots of feedback, LOTS of info. Real mailing address is a plus for Chrono24. Check the seller's other listings; are they on par or better?

Bad points: poor feedback percentage. If there's only a few feedbacks, this may not matter. But with a larger number...I'm pretty harsh, perhaps, but I treat 95% as a yellow flag. Few watch listings among a bunch of Other Stuff. Few high-end items among a bunch of junk is a HUGE red flag for me. Happens on eBay from time to time. Sparse information. Bad pictures. Rampant marketing BS. Ridiculously low asking price...BIG red flag it's a fake or there's something *seriously* wrong with it.

Going with an actual seller like C&C, or a real, known dealer like Timeless that also offers used watches, is far safer by definition. If you're gonna go eBay or Chrono24, do your homework. You MAY find a pretty good deal, altho understand: it's hard to do these days, because so many people are looking.

Reactions: Nokie

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
of the 4 you listed (best to worst): C&C, Stockx, Chrono24, eBay.

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
I've had good experiences with Crown & Caliber. I've heard too many examples of buyers getting screwed over in Chrono24 deals when the go-between - Chrono24 - went silent. I'd actually prefer to purchase through ebay because buyer protection, through Paypal, is excellent.

Reactions: Vioviv

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
I can also vouch for Crown & Caliber. I’ve bought 2 watches from them, an Omega AT for myself and a Rolex OP for my wife. I am very happy with both. I even had an issue with the Omega and they were really great about fixing it correctly, with authentic parts, under their warranty. Also, a good friend of mine bought a Rolex Sub from them and was also very happy with it. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
There are also plenty of Facebook groups out there that vet members. For example, check out Moda Watch Club. There are quite a few dealers in there.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've sold a watch to C&C. They were extremely professional and i was very happy with the transaction.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
706 Posts
For Brick and Mortar. Toppers in CA

·
Premium Member
36,256 Posts
^^^

Totally agree about this site, and most all who sell here are watch enthusiasts, so you can get some very nice stuff at a good deal from a GOOD seller, DIRECTLY. You can also place a "Wanted To Buy" ad in the sub forum of the sales section if you are looking for something specific.

Chrono 24 is hit or miss depending on the vendor, IMHO.

And eBay for watches,.......nope, nada, no thank you.

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
I should add that I've bought/sold perhaps a dozen pieces here on WUS and all transactions have been more than satisfactory.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have bought pre-owned from:
- This forum
- Crown and Caliber (through chrono24)
- SwissWatchExpo
- Watchbox
- Ebay

You will get the best deal from this forum, almost every time. With chrono24/ebay you're very much buying the seller, which could be anyone from a major company or someone on this forum to a complete scam artist.

The other places are less nerve-racking -- I had a very high degree of confidence when buying from Watchbox/SwissWatchExpo/Crown and Caliber that I would get the watch, and that it will be authentic. But you will pay a price for that, and if you have to flip your watch down the line (and, let's be honest, most of us have a disease which makes this probable), you are far less likely to get your money back.

Generally speaking, prices tend to be on a scale.
Trade in price to major retailers -> forum price -> buy price from major retailers.

My more expensive pieces I've trended towards buying from major retailers, because my fear of getting scammed was higher. In retrospect, I wish I had used this forum (or watchrecon) more.I've only bought a few from here, but I've never had a bad experience.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
I've had good luck with eBay and this forum, as well as, other watch sites. The seller history info on eBay is very useful. Forum members have been good sellers, but I always ck their activity on the site-- they may not be very active as sellers, but their time on the Forum has been helpful.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've been on Ebay for years. FB marketplace and craigslist have both worked for me. I've recently made my first purchase through one of the FB groups. Watch was exactly as described and shipped quickly. Do research and ask for references.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I've bought a few watches from ebay and never had a problem.
I only ever buy from sellers with 100% feedback and all boxes/papers etc, study all the pics and read description carefully and you shouldn't have a problem. Also do as much research and study images on google so you know exactly what your looking at.
All the best.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I’ve bought several watches from Crown & Caliber without any issues. Govberg my main issue with them is they tend to do high pressure sales where they start to call you 2-3 times a week. But stuff I’ve bought from them were spot on with their descriptions.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts