WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine is looking to buy the new seadweller. He is in Hong Kong and says he could buy it there for about $8k USD. Full retail is $9k USD. He is coming to the states shortly and was wondering if he could get a better price in the states given the state of the economy, etc.

Any thoughts?

This is the watch he is looking at:
http://www.rolex.com/en/collection/...etual/sea-dweller-deepsea/steel/M116660-0001/

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Not sure where your friend lives, and here is why it is important.

If your friend lives in the States, and purchases the watch overseas, he will have to pay the customs' duty upon entering the country. It is NOT worth it to skip out on paying this. Should Customs discover this upon re-entering the country, the fines can be quite severe, and your friend will be placed on so many lists, travelling will be troublesome in the future with constant checks. It is better to claim it on the form, and pay the necessary duties/taxes. I have to assume the same if the countries were reversed.

As far as prices in the US, it would depend on the model. For example, I was in an AD yesterday looking at a Lady's DJ, and as they were showing me the watch, they stated they could give me 20% on the spot, before I even asked about price. Could this happen on a DSSD? I am not sure, as they did not have one in stock, nor am I interested in one; however, in the past 5% was standard. I understand now, that some ADs are giving discounts on all watches regardless of type, up to 20%.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Buy from HK, and skip the customs.

Tell him to buy the watch, and send him the box and papers via post.
Then tell him to wear the watch on his journey home. There is no way to get caught this way..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
he lives in hk - moved out there about a year ago for a great job opportunity. i dont think he is concerned with US customs.

i will pass this along to him. thanks for the info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts