WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.
Suppose I want to buy my first G-shock. We have a local authorized dealer (bricks-and-mortar store) who sells the particular model that I need.
But I also have the option of buying the exact same product online, for instance eBay, but the product would be coming from overseas.
Let's say that ordering online, even if the product would be shipped from another country, would save me about $30. In other words, buying from our local authorized dealer would actually cost me a bit more.

My question is, between these two purchasing options, what would you choose? Elaborate if you can please.

Thank you very much

Sent from my LG-D690 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Depends on the price of the watch and if it was a special edition. If your talking about a $30 watch and it doubles the price, then go E-bay. If it's $150 + or a special addition I would do local as it's worth the piece of mind knowing you have someone to help out if there's a problem.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
For $30 I'd buy from the bricks and mortar. When the difference in price is minimal I like to try and support local business. I think people are doing themselves a massive disservice when they buy everything online to save a couple of bucks. Imagine a world with no local retail. It's pretty dismal image and we're heading in that direction with major operations such as Sears shutting down and small privately owned business just not even close to being viable in many places.

Consider it a tax to keep the local economy afloat.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
That would depend how much the $30 saving means to you.

Reactions: kayeng

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
Buy local. 30$ is nothing comparing to befit of holding watch in your hand and trying it prior to buying it.
Also often buy online can be more expensive due to border tax which is not seen upfront. Online/ebay often = no warranty. For 30$ there are a lot of benefits of buying local and no disadvantage if these are 1:1 same watches.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
I always bought watches from local bricks-and-mortar store, because I could see, feel, somewhat wear, and test out the exact watch that I'd be buying before buying. I could check for scratches or misalignments and see if any issues present bother me or not. I didn't have to worry about import tax, how long the watch would take to ship, would the watch get lost during shipping, was this a scam or not, etc., when I bought from local AD, versus ordering online. Often I took the online price I saw, and tried to negotiate for that price in-store.

·
Premium Member
61,645 Posts
If you can get the watch from a reputable grey market dealer then go GM. TBH, for a $30 saving I wouldn’t chance getting a pretend one on the Bay. The only problem with a lot of GM sellers is that their warranty sucks big time so you might well consider that the extra $30 is a small price to pay for the sort of peace of mind an AD can bring you.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,063 Posts
Hi there.
Suppose I want to buy my first G-shock. We have a local authorized dealer (bricks-and-mortar store) who sells the particular model that I need.
But I also have the option of buying the exact same product online, for instance eBay, but the product would be coming from overseas.
Let's say that ordering online, even if the product would be shipped from another country, would save me about $30. In other words, buying from our local authorized dealer would actually cost me a bit more.

My question is, between these two purchasing options, what would you choose? Elaborate if you can please.

Thank you very much

Sent from my LG-D690 using Tapatalk
You have omitted a couple of key points. What is the reputation of the online seller located for delivering real Casio watches? Will the seller stand behind them and send a replacement in the event of a problem? Is there a warranty and will it be honored in your country?

·
Registered
119 Posts
If the online seller is reputable I would buy from them. A $30 savings is worth it to me and if you bought 3 more watches like this, you would save $120. That's $120 you could put towards another watch purchase.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Buy local.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Depending on the shop you're buying from you can probably tell them that you found it online for $30 cheaper and they can knock that off of the price.

Either way I'd buy locally for $30.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
For that small of a price difference, I'd buy local.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Buy from a local AD that carries some other brands you might be interested in as you grow your collection. Great way to start a relationship.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Depends on the price of the watch and if it was a special edition. If your talking about a $30 watch and it doubles the price, then go E-bay. If it's $150 + or a special addition I would do local as it's worth the piece of mind knowing you have someone to help out if there's a problem.
From a purely financial perspective, between these two options would you rather: Save 1% on the purchase of a car or save 75% on the purchase of a pair of shoes? Sure, in some respects, it's nice to get a larger discount on the retail price, but absolute discounts are more relevant to the health of ones finances than percentages.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts