WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I agree, it is highly unlikely that this dial came from the same dial-maker as those of genuine Poljot watches.
Look at the fake:

and look at the originals:

Albeit made in two tones and with 24 hours scale, this dial is strikingly similar to the fake one, but it lacks the wrong "WEEK-DAY" calendar inscription.
Is it possible that that fake was made with a "trashed" dial, printed with a wrong inscription.

Perhaps (defected) dial and (defected) crown are the keys, the reasons of the presence of these fakes on the market.

And this is the original "WEEK-DAY" version:

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,143 Posts
I agree with you about the possibility of the use of authentic-but-trashed dial in the example that you cited, but what I was refering to was the dial in the original post on this thread, i.e:

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I agree with you about the possibility of the use of authentic-but-trashed dial in the example that you cited, but what I was refering to was the dial in the original post on this thread, i.e:

Yes, that dial looks definitely fishy. Some of those dials are quite similar to the ones used by the seller "TarasBulba" to make aviator-style, "fantasy" Raketa too, but it's just a personal impression.
Seconds hand looks strange too, that's not surprising considering that the movement is totally alien.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Yes, that dial looks definitely fishy. Some of those dials are quite similar to the ones used by the seller "TarasBulba" to make aviator-style, "fantasy" Raketa too, but it's just a personal impression.
Seconds hand looks strange too, that's not surprising considering that the movement is totally alien.
Hi,

I've spotted a spelling error on the dail, in Russian it is correct to spell it as:

"17 Камня" and NOT "17 Камней".

Reading the rest of the posts - you guys got me all confused! I have a Poljot Aviator Chrono 3133 (Fortis style) with a laser engraved number on the back (0XX/500)- the caseback is precisely like the one on the picture, except the serial number is laser engraved not etched:

poljotaviator6.jpg

...and now I understand that this is the original caseback of the Aviator 1 Chrono (inscription only in Cyrillic)...

Can someone please explain what is going on? I've read somewhere that initially Poljot was producing 999 Aviator I Chrono watches, mine caseback says 500... Completely confused!:-s

Attachments

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I've read somewhere that initially Poljot was producing 999 Aviator I Chrono watches, mine caseback says 500... Completely confused!:-s
Don't pay attention to the "limited series"...it was a well-known Poljot's habit to make a limited series of 999 watches, then other 999 watches, and so on.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Don't pay attention to the "limited series"...it was a well-known Poljot's habit to make a limited series of 999 watches, then other 999 watches, and so on.
Thanks michele,

It is a really decent and reliable watch - I love my 3133 and I do not have an idea why Poljot are resorting to that marketing strategy. I suspect that this particular watch (Aviator I Chrono) was banned from sale in certain countries...and they are trying to keep it under the radar.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I suspect that this particular watch (Aviator I Chrono) was banned from sale in certain countries...and they are trying to keep it under the radar.
Poljot Aviator I Chrono was banned in Germany and Switzerland because of an old lawsuit with Fortis, although it was not a fake (Fortis claimed it as "fake" on its official website ten years ago).
Don't know if other models are still included in the ban - i don't think so, the Aviator series was radically modified since then.
That's all what i know, even less about radars.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
...I love my 3133 and I do not have an idea why Poljot are resorting to that marketing strategy. I suspect that this particular watch (Aviator I Chrono) was banned from sale in certain countries...and they are trying to keep it under the radar.
Poljot no longer exists as an entity, so real "Poljot" branded Aviators are quite desirable now. The Aviator I is currently manufactured by Maktime (one of Poljot's primary successor companies), with some minor dial modifications to allow it for sale in countries where the Poljot version was banned. The Aviator chronograph series (Aviator II, III, etc.) was continued by Volmax (another successor), under the "Aviator" brand.

As for the "limited edition" marketing strategy, I don't have a problem with it. They make a numbered run. If the model is a huge seller, they make another run. No big deal, and good business sense. No matter how many runs they make, I'm still the only guy in my office building with a Russian watch on my wrist, so they're all rare to me!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Poljot Aviator I Chrono was banned in Germany and Switzerland because of an old lawsuit with Fortis, although it was not a fake (Fortis claimed it as "fake" on its official website ten years ago).
Don't know if other models are still included in the ban - i don't think so, the Aviator series was radically modified since then.
That's all what i know, even less about radars.
It was long gone and it keeps popping up now with a suspicious bilingual caseback that says ABNATOP with big letters and poljot with small undeneath it whereas the original was Cyrillic only. Otherwise the dial is the old ΠΟΛΕΤ ΑΒΝΑΤΟΡ XPOHOΓΡΑΦ.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Hi OKEAH,

This is precisely what I have - the suspicioous bilingual caseback ;), original dial (light green lume on indexes and arrows) and genuine Poljot 3133 movement. It looks like it is assemled by Volmax with Poljot spare parts. At any rate it is a great watch!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Hi all, as an apparent victim of this scam i am a little unhappier than most posting here. I bought mine long before this thread started. Though i am truely gutted.
Having said that it is a fairly well made watch for the price, a little on the light side, but then it is handwind so...has a reasonable quality strap.
Thankfully i paid significantly less at auction than BUYITNOW price. If i had i would be truely upset.
No real conclusion can of this thread though are these fakes or just a russian guy trying to make money with chinese movements and poljot cases? Are they re stamped poljot movements?
Many questions:(
What sort of value, if any, would you attatch to these watches?
Cheers
Chris

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,143 Posts
One of the most diffused ones: "WEEK-DAY CALENDAR", the original should have two subdials for week-day hands, but there is just a day window. Already seen with old, dented Poljot movement.

The vertical date is not common on Chaika movements - stock spare part, or just a sticker on the Chaika date disk? :think:
A real mess anyway.
I think this is a 'spare parts' watch in every sense. The Chaika movement is stamped 2609, so possibly the movement was assembled from a mix of Chaika 2609 base and Poljot 2614 hands and calendar parts. The case may well be authentic (or overstock sourced from the same manufacturer). As has been noted, this case was available with threaded or un-threaded pendant. The crown is a common generic piece with a rather poor 'A' marking. The dial is so well made, apart from the incorrect inscription, that it may well be a reject piece. the hands are the real deal. If Volmax were outsourcing them, then it would not be hard for another assembler to get the same. In my opinion, this is a counterfeit Aviator, probably assembled somewhere in or near Moscow.

The use of surplus parts doesn't bother me, except where a brand is used dishonestly. The assembler of this watch could have made a nice all-Russian private label if he had just spent the money ordering new dials with a different brand from the same maker that produced for Volmax.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm MosWatch2010, who sell this watches on eBay. What I will say, is the follow. POLJOT is not more exist as one big manufacturer. Any time after the finish of USSR POLJOT was bankrott and out of the manufacture came a lot other companies. The most known are VOLMAX, Denissov, POLJOT Chronos, TD POLJOT, POLJOT Elita and more. The production equipment from POLJOT was sold to other companies, for 31mm movements was gone to MakTime and for 26mm movements was gone to VOSTOK. In the different of Vostok, MakTime produced till lest year the movements of 31mm series (3105, 3133, 31681, 31679 etc). But Vostok couldn't start the produktion of movements of the 26mm serie, while the produktion equipment was to old. And so, over any time finished the produktion of this movements. The big manufacturer have it on stock, but the little manufacturer not. And so any company start to use chinese movements. This are not fakes, this are official in Russia produced POLJOT watches with chinese movements. This is a fact.
I can tell you, that the same situation will be in any time with the chronographes, while the produktion is also finished and chronograph movements are available only on stocks.
What will bring us the future I don't know. I only know, that today we haven't a production of POLJOT movements in Russia.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts