WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
....the spacer/cushion of your watch is made from rubber.

I notice that my G5600e hydro watch is leaking from the back case and the glass.
It has been sitting in the drawer for few months, I never use the watch as the solar panel also cracked and oil is leaking.

I've opened the watch last night and I found out that cushion rubber spacer size is expanding about 3mm, so its imposible to reinstall the rubber.

I believe the rubber spacer expansion is enough to give pressure to the oil to seep thru the backcase and even the crystal, that is why the oil has leaked on my g5600 hydro :-(

However, everything seems to be ok on my GW6900 hydro since the spacer is made from plastic :)

Some pics below for your ref.

Regards,
Oz

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
none happened to mine, what kind of oil did you pick ?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im using this one, and what r you using ?

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Wow, and sorry to hear about this -- and this is definitely a "first" around here!

Silicone oil is generally one of the best fluids for this purpose (and its many uses in medicine) because it's chemically inert, which means that it doesn't react with most other chemicals.

Can we please get some clarification on the last part of:

I notice that my G5600e hydro watch is leaking from the back case and the glass.
It has been sitting in the drawer for few months, I never use the watch as the solar panel also cracked and oil is leaking.
Have you not been wearing it BECAUSE the solar panel cracked, or is that something that has happened since you stopped wearing the watch and put it in the drawer?

This forum has probably seen a hundred or more "hydro mods" over the years and this is the first time something like this has happened. :-(

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Wow, and sorry to hear about this -- and this is definitely a "first" around here!

Silicone oil is generally one of the best fluids for this purpose (and its many uses in medicine) because it's chemically inert, which means that it doesn't react with most other chemicals.

Can we please get some clarification on the last part of:

Have you not been wearing it BECAUSE the solar panel cracked, or is that something that has happened since you stopped wearing the watch and put it in the drawer?

This forum has probably seen a hundred or more "hydro mods" over the years and this is the first time something like this has happened. :-(
I didn't use the watch due to solar panel cracked so I leave it in my drawer, and I notice after few weeks there is leaking from the back case, I thought it was because of worn o-ring seal.

Only last night I opened the watch and found out that the cushion rubber is expanding :-(

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Quick update,

Just now I've check and opened on my latest hydro dw5600,
It has the same problem, oil has always appear around the backcase.

I open it and.....the cushion rubber also getting bigger :-(
I cannot even fit it back into the watch.

(Note : the watch has module 3229, cushion rubber same as g5600. Im not sure if dw5600 with module 1545 will encounter the same issue as it has thinner black rubber instead)

·
Premium Member
14,827 Posts
Sounds like the cushion spacer is absorbing the oil and swelling like a sponge.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
It's there possibility that the wrong is in the oil? G-fob, what oils did u use? I'm eyeing gwm5610 for my next hydro project right now, if this going to be a problem then I'll scrap the idea and stick with 6900's :(

I type butter on mah phon

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's there possibility that the wrong is in the oil? G-fob, what oils did u use? I'm eyeing gwm5610 for my next hydro project right now, if this going to be a problem then I'll scrap the idea and stick with 6900's :(

Hi domoon, what 6900 is yours, is it G or GW.
I was wondering what is the cushion spacer for G type made from ?
Does is same with GW use the plastic instead of rubber.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Hi domoon, what 6900 is yours, is it G or GW.
I was wondering what is the cushion spacer for G type made from ?
Does is same with GW use the plastic instead of rubber.
iirc in my gw-6900gw and g-6900cc both have this white solid plastic instead of rubber...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
iirc in my gw-6900gw and g-6900cc both have this white solid plastic instead of rubber...

Thanks domoon,
So far only my dw/g5600 have damaged rubber spacer, just wondering if anyone else also has the same problem.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I don't remember whether i used the same brand of silicon oil or not as I put my Gshock-mod-kit away for a long time now and don't have time to pull it out to check

but I personally would hydro more of my Gshocks if/when I have a chance without fear of anything like this happens - ABSOLUTELY - so believe in whatever you want to believe

i have hydro-moded both old and new G's, from dw-5700 to Gw-6900

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I don't remember whether i used the same brand of silicon oil or not as I put my Gshock-mod-kit away for a long time now and don't have time to pull it out to check

but I personally would hydro more of my Gshocks if/when I have a chance without fear of anything like this happens - ABSOLUTELY - so believe in whatever you want to believe

i have hydro-moded both old and new G's, from dw-5700 to Gw-6900
So far the problem is appeared on the grey rubber spacer (dw5600 mod 3229 and g5600e).
It seems like gw6900 will be fine as it has a plastic spacer instead.
Im not sure with dw5700, but if you never see any oil leaked around the case, it might be ok since 5700 used a black rubber.
I think they are using a different material and quality compare to the newer grey rubber, IMO.

Reactions: xevious

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
So far the problem is appeared on the grey rubber spacer (dw5600 mod 3229 and g5600e).
In the first picture, which models are the grey rubber spacers from?

Is one the "swollen" hydro-ed G5600E spacer and the other a new replacement? Or is one from the DW5600E and one from the G5600E?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In the first picture, which models are the grey rubber spacers from?

Is one the "swollen" hydro-ed G5600E spacer and the other a new replacement? Or is one from the DW5600E and one from the G5600E?
Both are G5600e spacer.
One from g5600hydro and the other one is my spare from damaged module.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Both are G5600e spacer.
One from g5600hydro and the other one is my spare from damaged module.
Thanks! I was kind of hoping to hear that, but at the same time, I wasn't and wanted to double-check. ;-)

Pacparts shows the G5600E spacer as a completely different part number than the one on the DW-5600E, so they could easily be different sizes, and you had mentioned "DW-5600" above.

Since both of those in the picture ARE from the same model, though, it does look like the oil made the one swell or expand -- which it shouldn't do, since silicone oil is supposed to be chemically inert. :-( That's why they use it in ophthalmology and, uh, "other medical applications."

At $2 each, I'm tempted to add a few of those spacerse to my next Pacparts order just to experiment with!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Thanks! I was kind of hoping to hear that, but at the same time, I wasn't and wanted to double-check. ;-)

Pacparts shows the G5600E spacer as a completely different part number than the one on the DW-5600E, so they could easily be different sizes, and you had mentioned "DW-5600" above.

Since both of those in the picture ARE from the same model, though, it does look like the oil made the one swell or expand -- which it shouldn't do, since silicone oil is supposed to be chemically inert. :-( That's why they use it in ophthalmology and, uh, "other medical applications."

At $2 each, I'm tempted to add a few of those spacerse to my next Pacparts order just to experiment with!
The one I have mentioned earlier that my rubber spacer on dw5600 (newer module 3229) has also swollen, but I didnt capture it.
However it seems like they are using the same material.

Do you also have g5600 hydro ?
I look forward to get update from your experiment :)

Cheers,

Reactions: BeaVis PaLigis

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No, I hydro'ed a GW-6900-1 two years ago -- I believe mine also has a white plastic spacer.
Yes Mike, my gw6900 hydro also doing very well :-D

Cheers,

Watch Blue Wrist Technology Electric blue

Reactions: Upnor
1 - 20 of 33 Posts