WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

BEWARE - GNOMON watches

20K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  JTK Awesome 
#1 ·
My experience. Gnomon replies to emails, responds to questions and stuff like that....yes if everything goes well. When it comes to issues, they ignore you.

Very bad customer service which I just unfortunately found out. My advise. Buy your watches elsewhere.

I don't usually write bad reviews about dealers, AD etc. but to me true mettle of someone comes to light at times of handling issues.
This is where GNOMON fails terribly!

They basically leave you hanging and do not respond to your emails.
I will never buy any more watches from GNOMON!

#7 ·
Reactions: skyboss_4evr
#3 · (Edited)
I have bought a couple of watches from Gnomon in the past. No complaints about their service. The 2nd had an issue but they sorted out quickly. So I would recommend them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Bought a Steinhart Ocean 1 GMT Titanium and 6 weeks after I got it it was gaining half hour a week and the crown came loose. Emailed them and they replied the next day to send it back. 5 weeks later I received it working perfectly. No issues since. Have bought around 6 watches from them. Great service.

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses.
Not sure why some guys are getting so worked up here. Perhaps nothing better to do?

I used to be like you guys, supported Gnomon. I recall purchasing 2 watches from Anders some years ago.
But now it's like once bitten, twice shy for me.

I ordered a watch from him. It was shipped out via EMS. Supposed to arrive in a week.
That's normal. But it didn't arrive on the scheduled date. I checked tracking and found parcel is classified as "Undeliverable".
I checked with the carrier. They can't give exact details only to say it won't be delivered until some investigation is done.
It got transferred to a secure facility. They told me if it's my parcel, to get the Sender to send in official request to trace the parcel.
I was scratching my head at this point. What's going on?

I contacted Anders, told him and expreseed my frustration. He tells me well that's EMS and I should have used DHL.
That's BS to me. He said he will check. Next day he emails me and I don't know who he spoke with, but says oh postman tried delivering
but my address couldn't be found. WHAT!!! I am living in a city for pete's sake, don't give me that kind of BS.
I told him you have to get to the bottom of this. This went on for another 2 days with similar response from him.

I was loosing my cool at this point. Decided I have to hunt my own parcel as clearly Anders guy was not doing enough and only giving me BS. So after about 20 phone calls and about 3 hours of my total time (I kid you not) on the phone with various customer service people and Supervisors and getting transferred from one department to the other and putting on hold, I managed to convince the carrier that it is indeed my parcel. And either you send it to me or send it back to the Sender so I can get a refund. Supervisor tells me they can't send it back as there is no Return address! Finally after over 12 days of drama from the scheduled arrival date, the package arrived.

I inspected the package and immediately knew what went wrong. The package was not packed with much care, and the label pouch did not have my address! No return address either, so at this point I realized I was so fortunate to even get the parcel. Usually, National carriers will destroy such unlabeled packages. Even more shocking! The watch inside the watch box was not secured and bouncing around in the box. This is quite a heavy watch with heavy bracelet. So it did receive some scratches on the case side and scuff marks.

I informed Anders and expressed my frustration. Who will not be? It doesn't matter if you are from Singapore, Japan or US.
I hold everybody whom I purchase from to the same standards. I told him after all this drama this is not cool, and I will like to return the watch for refund or get some compensation for the scratches on the watch. This is where I lost him. Zero response from him.

I have read on some forum threads too of some people having some issues with Gnomon, I found it hard to believe.
But now I can see for myself. To me, this Anders guy and Gnomon do not follow through on their commitment to their Customer.
I shudder to think what would have happened if I didn't get the package. Seems no recourse from Gnomon.

To me, well even though I am disappointed but I tell myself it's not a very big deal as it a under $1000 watch. I have bought over $10,000 watches from dealers shipped to me, no dramas.

And will I ever buy from Gnomon again? Never again.

#12 ·
When I said it was an empty pouch, it is really an empty pouch. See for yourself.

Now I don't mean any disrespect for you guys there, but I am already flustered with this episode and wasted enough time already.
I don't wish to entertain any more queries or requests unless it is Anders himself, for which he has all the pictures, my cell and email information. He can get in touch with me. But as it is I have sent 3 email reminders and clearly he is choosing to ignore the emails and brushing his responsibility.

Goes to show his true mettle and the kind of customer service we can expect from Gnomon when things go not as expected.
Your mileage might vary with him, so take it with a pinch of salt and good luck. You will need lots of it with this guy!

#13 ·
I'm sorry to hear your plight.

I am also in your area. I am not posting this to comment and side with any opinions here. We've all be in some similar situations I am sure. I only hope Gnomon can recognize where they went wrong with placing the correct information on the parcel. It is is frustrating as the recipient and the recipients usually have little authority tell the courier what to do. Some companies are better than other on after sale support (shipping etc).

I will say, from a lot of international and domestic shipping, It is frustrating dealing with fees and duties, however I can only suggest you re-consider the shipping choice in the future. DHL would have been a better bet, although more expensive, less risky of getting caught in the mail world limbo. It is just a reality of
international purchasing these day.

No one can tell you what your shipping preference should be, you have your reasons, but you have to also understand the methods you choice all have the associated risks. DHL and UPS maybe more, but less risky.

Regardless ,it is sad to hear your experience did not go smooth. I hope Gnomon and you can find a way to chat this out and objectively find out what wrong and If they own part of the problem hopefully they can make it right for you. Their name is all over this forum and so many watches sold here are from them. I hope they realize this is an opportunity to show they are living up to their reputation.

#15 ·
I'm sorry to hear your plight.

I am also in your area. I am not posting this to comment and side with any opinions here. We've all be in some similar situations I am sure. I only hope Gnomon can recognize where they went wrong with placing the correct information on the parcel. It is is frustrating as the recipient and the recipients usually have little authority tell the courier what to do. Some companies are better than other on after sale support (shipping etc).

I will say, from a lot of international and domestic shipping, It is frustrating dealing with fees and duties, however I can only suggest you re-consider the shipping choice in the future. DHL would have been a better bet, although more expensive, less risky of getting caught in the mail world limbo. It is just a reality of
international purchasing these day.

No one can tell you what your shipping preference should be, you have your reasons, but you have to also understand the methods you choice all have the associated risks. DHL and UPS maybe more, but less risky.

Regardless ,it is sad to hear your experience did not go smooth. I hope Gnomon and you can find a way to chat this out and objectively find out what wrong and If they own part of the problem hopefully they can make it right for you. Their name is all over this forum and so many watches sold here are from them. I hope they realize this is an opportunity to show they are living up to their reputation.
Thanks for your thoughtful comment. Much appreciated.

And yes, I agree with you. It could have been slightly faster via DHL/UPS though you will have to fork out extra fees.
But nevertheless, EMS is also a viable and secure way of shipment. Provided everything is done right of course.
Like any other shipping method.

I have sent and received countless EMS shipments. Many of my watches from Japan dealers were shipped via EMS.
But one thing though, the Japan dealers are meticulous in the entire process. Spot on and no issues.

Any watch dealer worth his salt or anybody for that matter will know to secure the shipping labels and include at least 3 copies in the shipment pouch. I do that when I send my shipments. And I will make sure to include my return address and contact number on the side and back of the package, in case the inevitable happens. Either stick 'em or write 'em.

Gnomon as a so-called established seller and forum sponsor should know better. But mistakes do happen, and I understand. If that's the case stand up and level with me to close the case, save me further frustration. Is that too much to ask? What good is a forum sponsor if he simply sheds his responsibility when the inevitable happens and has questionable customer service?

#16 · (Edited)
Resurrecting this thread to relay that I have 50% success with Gnomon and will likewise think twice about purchasing from them again.

First watch was a Mido Baroncelli Big Date. Gnomon omitted my apartment number even though it's in my Apple Pay ship info. Thankfully DHL called me to verify my complete address. When the watch arrived I discovered a defective dial, even though Gnomon "inspects" outgoing watches. Furthermore, Gnomon only gives you 24 hours to contact them for a defective watch. Then you have to pay for the insured international return shipping, plus lose the cost of the original free shipping. I chose instead to get this resolved through Swatch Group US (just 3 states away, not half a world away), who provided a prepaid FedEx mailer. They ultimately replaced the dial, and even serviced the watch for good measure, all under warranty.

Second watch was a Seiko Prospex Land Compass. No issues.

Last was a Seiko "Baby MM" LE. No issues except for the complete lack of tags. Gnomon's response was, "Your Seiko watch should come with tag, however sometimes the tag may have fallen off during packing as it is only fasten by a thread." Fallen off?!? That's a first; even my GM-bought watches always came with the original tags.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.