WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening WUS,

I'm new to the forum so definitely be patient with me. I've always been a big fan of dive bezels, especially how they feel when you rotate them. Was just wondering which dive bezel has the best action out there! In my mind, it's got to be the Tudor pelagos but I've heard the bezel action on the SBDB013, SBDX017, Damasko Dsub1 and Monta oceanking is phenomenal too! What're your thoughts?

·
Registered
Bremont supermarine s300 white
1,349 Posts
I've only bought two watches that had a dive bezel on them. One was a citizen I gave to my brother as a high school graduation gift and he enjoys the movement of it. The other was also a citizen that I sold eventually but liked the movement of that bezel as well. I tried on a seamaster and a submariner. Love them both for what they represent and enjoy the bezel of both watches. However my watches are tools I use on a daily basis. If I haven't been wearing it or rotating it consistently enough I sell it and take the hit. For me a sub or sea both serve purposes of being luxury watches that serve as tools for me when I go swimming or am around water. A chronograph for me is great when I'm running to time how long or how fast my run is.

·
Premium Member
3,488 Posts
Well, of the five I can actually comment on:

- Rolex Submariner: easy to grip, very easy to turn (can bump it against something and it turns); very smooth action with minimal noise; some play between clicks
- Ball Skindiver II: easy to grip, medium to turn; semi-smooth action but loud; minimal play between clicks
- Oris Staghorn: easy to grip, easy to turn; smooth action with minimal noise; never really futzed with it enough to determine play
- Blancpain Bathyscaphe: utter pain in the ass to grip; hard to turn*; smooth action (once you get it going), but loud as heck; some play between clicks
- Bremont TI-GMT: easy to grip; very easy to turn; very smooth action with minimal noise; no play between the clicks (but bi-directional)

*: I asked them about this when I sent it in for necessary service; they claim is was designed to be hard to turn to prevent accidental turning. Not sure I buy that excuse. But this is one bear of a bezel to turn, particularly with wet hands; you really have to crank on it.

Regards,
Alysandir

·
Registered
384 Posts
I haven't tried the pelagos, is it same action as the BB?

I really liked how the BB moved, but I find it somewhat tough to grip because it's so slender. It's definitely not a functional dive watch.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Starting with the worst - SKX with CrystalTimes coin-edge bezel. It was so bad that I got rid of it and put a Yobokies fixed bezel on it. Just absolute crap. I'm not sure how the stock SKX bezel is because I haven't used one. Next worst, Samurai. Very disappointing, and should be A LOT better for even the Sammy's moderate price tag. Not as much hop when turning as the SKX mod, but still way too much. Also felt hollow and clacky. The SPB053 that I tried on at the same time was infinitely better. Smooth quiet clicks and no hop whatsoever.

Zodiac Sea Wolf 53 Skin - very light, very easy to turn, a bit loud, but satisfying to use with almost no play whatsoever.

Borealis Cascais - nice chunky click sound, easy to turn, moderate play between clicks

NTH Nacken - A bit stiffer than the Borealis with less play, a bit more hollow sounding

Evant Tropic - stiff bezel with very solid clicks and almost no play at all. A little difficult to turn because of the stiffness of the action and how thin the bezel is

Aevig Huldra - stiff and kind of vague between clicks, with a fair amount of play. certainly usable, but not my favorite

Oris Divers 65 40mm - reminded me of my Zodiac. Light, easy to turn, minimal play.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
For me the Oris Aquis is the best i've had. Orient Ray was too tight and hard to grip and the SKX007 was not bad for the price.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I've got many divers and just tried a bunch.

The best I've ever touched is my IWC Aquatimer. It just feels like fine jewelry, positive, muffled and smooth. Almost as nice, but very different is my Ulysse Nardin Maxi Marine Diver - very muffled with clear but tiny clicks.

·
Registered
12,689 Posts
I have the pelagos now. Had the BB. BB not in the same ballpark as the pelagos.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
I think most were quite good actually.

However, worst was my Orient Diver. The bezel seized on me and was impossible to turn. Tried taking it off and putting it back on, didn't fix it. I gave up on it eventually.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Pelagos bezel is excellent, no question. The Damasko bezel with ceramic bearings is totally different construction and feel, but on the same level, but just different. Sinn T2B is really cool with a captive safety bezel that you have to push down turn with very nice action. Most disappointing for me were Square 1521 and Stowa Prodiver. Too much play on both and squale was too loose.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
The Helm Vanuatu (v4) has the best bezel action I've ever felt on a watch, for my personal tastes. It really hits the sweet spot for me, which is funny because it's presently the least expensive dive watch I own and I use it as a work beater. I haven't experienced Tudor or Rolex though, so I can't comment on the high end.

The Evant Decodiver is also very nice in this regard. Their Tropic is also really good for that matter.

The worst I've felt recently was the Seiko SRPB55, hands down. It was impossible to grip when remotely moist, and even in the most ideal conditions it was extremely difficult. I didn't like the grip or the action on it, and ended up getting rid of the watch mostly for that reason alone. It's sad because I otherwise loved it. The gunmetal case made strap choice more difficult than I would have liked though, so I'm not too upset about it.

Anyway, for the price the Helm is impressive and I can't wait to see what they do with the Komodo. Hopefully that will have a nice crisp bezel as well.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts