WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe the person who owned this Aerospace tried to turn it clockwise and it didn't like that. Can't argue as I got it for a good deal but the bezel is stuck at about 45 degrees off and won't move.

I'm a gunsmith. I'm used to working with small pins and screws so it's tempting to just ask how to take a bezel off but I'm wondering if it's one of those things to take to a jeweler who works on Breitlings.

Difficulty rating? I'm guessing it's going to be 100-200 USD to fix but that's an utter guess.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Disregard. Someone had tightened the bezel screws down too far.

I unscrewed them all 2 turns and it moved with ratchet as it's supposed to. I screwed them back 1/2 turn at a shot until I couldn't move it easily and then backed it off 1/4 turn each. It's back to the butter smooth ratchet movement I'm used to now :D

·
Registered
811 Posts
That was clever craftsmanhip &
reasoning on fixing that bezel. Even
though you have pre-owned goods,
doesn't mean there should be any
pre-existing ailments attached. Plus,
you don't want any back "torque" from
other members. Hopefully, the watch
meets/exceeds all of your expectations.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's setting up banjos that done it. Just like tightening a banjo head, work it slowly and a little bit at a time. It'll tell you when you're right |>

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hopefully, the watch
meets/exceeds all of your expectations.

It already has. Most assuredly already has.

I got it for a daily wear watch and it's EXACTLY what I wanted. Plus, I'm not going to baby it (well, too much.)

·
Registered
231 Posts
It's setting up banjos that done it. Just like tightening a banjo head, work it slowly and a little bit at a time. It'll tell you when you're right |>
Must... not... add banjo joke...

;)

·
Registered
767 Posts
..I'm not going to baby it (well, too much.)
No need to baby it. Mine has copped plenty of physical abuse over the past 18 months and has barely a scratch on it.

Congrats on buying one of the best all-purpose tool watches out there, but one that's still elegant enough to wear to a black-tie function.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Disregard. Someone had tightened the bezel screws down too far.

I unscrewed them all 2 turns and it moved with ratchet as it's supposed to. I screwed them back 1/2 turn at a shot until I couldn't move it easily and then backed it off 1/4 turn each. It's back to the butter smooth ratchet movement I'm used to now :D
someone has used the wrong screws or possibly the wrong riders. the screws should be dome headed single slot titanium. it should not be possible to tighten to such an extent to lock the bezel. a set of screws will cost about $20.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
someone has used the wrong screws or possibly the wrong riders. the screws should be dome headed single slot titanium. it should not be possible to tighten to such an extent to lock the bezel. a set of screws will cost about $20.

They are dome head single slot and the same metal as the bezel which is the same metal as the body. What I believe is someone tried to turn the bezel the wrong way and got one of the screws caught up in the ratcheting mechanism. It's nice and smooth now.

·
Registered
939 Posts
you got some good MacGyver hands there, i never knew that turning the bezel too hard can jam up the bezel ... thanks for the tip :-!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just took the bezel off. The split ring inside had jumped off the track and when I was tightening the screws I guess I was pushing the split ring to a point that it wedged under the ratchet.

It's back in its track and the screws are all the way down now. Buttery again |>

·
Registered
20 Posts
Since you've had yours apart, maybe you can answer my question. The bezel and rider tabs on my Chronomat Longitude don't line up exactly with the markings on the face of my watch, i.e the top rider tab sits about one degree to the right of the 12 o'clock position. Did you happen to notice how that could be adjusted?

I just took the bezel off. The split ring inside had jumped off the track and when I was tightening the screws I guess I was pushing the split ring to a point that it wedged under the ratchet.

It's back in its track and the screws are all the way down now. Buttery again |>

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Since you've had yours apart, maybe you can answer my question. The bezel and rider tabs on my Chronomat Longitude don't line up exactly with the markings on the face of my watch, i.e the top rider tab sits about one degree to the right of the 12 o'clock position. Did you happen to notice how that could be adjusted?

On both of mine I click it to the one beyond the 12 (counterclockwise) and then move it back and it lines up with the 12 b-)

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
1 degree is 1/6 of a miunte. are you really worried about this?

there are two ways of ratcheting a bezel that i know of. the first is with spung balls that engage in the bezel. the second and probably more usual is with a spring steel tab that engages in the bezel. if the later then replacement might give an improvement as wear might cause mis-alignment. i could speculate that this tab could also be distorted and streightening might also be beneficial.

·
Registered
767 Posts
there are two ways of ratcheting a bezel that i know of. the first is with spung balls that engage in the bezel. the second and probably more usual is with a spring steel tab that engages in the bezel.
Would the first method be for bidirectional rotating bezels, and the second for unidirectional?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts