WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

better means of bezel insert attachment

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Omega lovers

I recently came up on a 2254.50 in great used condition. Sadly, its come to my attention the aftermarket bezel currently on this watch is misaligned and it's really irking my inner perfectionist. Being relatively new & especially a novice with modding ( though that's not my intention here)

I was hoping the veterans here could let me know a few things about bezel insert attachment.
1) how do new seamasters straight stock unaltered have their bezel inserts attached to the assembly? For you modders or 2254+ owners, hoping you remember what means of attachment you found when you first popped off your 2254 bezel insert.

Secondly, what advice would you give me for keeping the insert attached, as I am hoping I'll have some degree of input on how the insert is attached when I take it in to a local to be realigned this week. I DO have the original bezel, although it's more beat up than the aftermarket that came on this thing. Not opposed to either going back to original if the adhesive on the aftermarket is shot or just adjusting this aftermarket that's in great shape. I think down the round I want to do an Omega service to get the bezel insert new. Glue sounds a little goopy, but I'm curious if tape works well in your guys' experience. Granted I'm pretty much limited to what the watchmaker has at their shop. I have options in my area

Notice how the pip is not at the peak of the scalloped edge like it should be.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
It’s friction fitted...at least the original inserts are...
It's been a while since I've seen one, isn't it a funky double flanged? design that snaps in on two areas of the bezel?

Reactions: gra1lhunt20

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
First, congrats on the 2254. It is a classic piece.

Your bezel insert is most likely attached with double sided tape. As a previous poster indicated, the original insert is set by friction.

Maybe this also a solution for you if you interested. In the Seamaster thread I saw a couple months ago someone who posted his 2254 with a modern ceramic bezel insert that would be for a Seiko SKX007. Yes, you read that right. I was also baffled that a Seiko insert would fit the SMP, but I was interested and ordered one. The ‘pip’ is slightly different than the modern Omega Seamasters, but that is fine by me. I have it attached with 2mm wide double sided tape and this is the result:

I like the look of the ceramic, more modern look and it saves my original one from being further scratched up. It is not in bad shape, but want to keep it as best as possible. There is also B-7000 adhesive that some modders use, but I think that is a more permanent solution.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
That's news to me, I thought they snapped in. It looks like a nice piece and its old enough now where it deserves a service if it hasn't had one. I'd just send it in to an Omega service center and be done with it, thats if you can pull it off doing it now. You'll be good for manys years to come with no worries, it will perform and look like new.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's news to me, I thought they snapped in. It looks like a nice piece and its old enough now where it deserves a service if it hasn't had one. I'd just send it in to an Omega service center and be done with it, thats if you can pull it off doing it now. You'll be good for manys years to come with no worries, it will perform and look like new.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Hey there,

that's my thinking! my guy put it one his timing machine and said it was running steady, said he didn't want to charge me to service the movement. it is keeping good enough time for me.With me being at least third owner, and a highly sought after, old discontinued piece an omega service is my current preferred next step. If you've sent a watch in to them before, any idea what they'd do to an aftermarket bezel? I thought I'd need to put original back on before sending in then pay for a new stock replacement.

You hear the horror stories about hostage situation etc. Please check out my photo. I'm thinking obviously they'd want to put in a new seconds hand this faded all the way to white.

If you know their standard procedure with aftermarket bezel that'd be super helpful.

Cheers

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
It’s friction fitted...at least the original inserts are...
thank you very much for answering the question Archer the legend! I was looking at the underside of the original trying to decipher this but I'm just not a DIY/ structural engineerally gifted thinker like that.

I really wanna get this guy as close to brand new 100% original as possible eventually

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
=
First, congrats on the 2254. It is a classic piece.

Your bezel insert is most likely attached with double sided tape. As a previous poster indicated, the original insert is set by friction.

Maybe this also a solution for you if you interested. In the Seamaster thread I saw a couple months ago someone who posted his 2254 with a modern ceramic bezel insert that would be for a Seiko SKX007. Yes, you read that right. I was also baffled that a Seiko insert would fit the SMP, but I was interested and ordered one. The ‘pip’ is slightly different than the modern Omega Seamasters, but that is fine by me. I have it attached with 2mm wide double sided tape and this is the result:

I like the look of the ceramic, more modern look and it saves my original one from being further scratched up. It is not in bad shape, but want to keep it as best as possible. There is also B-7000 adhesive that some modders use, but I think that is a more permanent solution.

WOW, now you've given me a real decision point. the lumed bezel has always looked seriously cool to me, and all the perks of ceramic you list are spot on.....

But the heritage and cult following/rep of this piece is leaning on me to keep it OG

Your piece looks Sublime daytime or fully lumed and thanks for the tip on 2 mm double-sided tape. I'm going to have to at least check out this skx 007c insert for price etc. May I ask where you sourced yours from.

Thank you for a fine contribution of a post to the thread!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess I got the original bezel but mine is also not perfectly aligned...
or it’s not the original?
well your font and lume pip look better than mine, but i'm no expert. Is it not on the crest of the scalloped edge when you set it to 12?
To me yours looks like it is? May just e my angle right now though.. Giid for you that it doesn't drive you up the wall

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
=

WOW, now you've given me a real decision point. the lumed bezel has always looked seriously cool to me, and all the perks of ceramic you list are spot on.....

But the heritage and cult following/rep of this piece is leaning on me to keep it OG

Your piece looks Sublime daytime or fully lumed and thanks for the tip on 2 mm double-sided tape. I'm going to have to at least check out this skx 007c insert for price etc. May I ask where you sourced yours from.

Thank you for a fine contribution of a post to the thread!
The insert is from DLW watches, located in Singapore. I ordered mine early this year when shipping was hindered a lot, but he uses DHL and had mine in no time.

Note: typically a ceramic insert is a bit thicker, so expect the insert to sit a bit higher on the bezel. With mine it still sits flush with the crystal.

I understand that you want to keep it original, it is your watch. I do too, but I grew a bit bored with the fat font and the shine of the insert gives the watch a new look.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think it needs some oil? Sometimes I set it exactly, but sometimes I can not.
It rotates, my issue is that the triangle and Pip of the insert are on the flat of the bezel assembly. There are 12 corners on the bezel assembly for every hour and five minutes purposely. My lume Pip and triangle should be on one of said bezel bezel assembly corners.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The insert is from DLW watches, located in Singapore. I ordered mine early this year when shipping was hindered a lot, but he uses DHL and had mine in no time.

Note: typically a ceramic insert is a bit thicker, so expect the insert to sit a bit higher on the bezel. With mine it still sits flush with the crystal.

I understand that you want to keep it original, it is your watch. I do too, but I grew a bit bored with the fat font and the shine of the insert gives the watch a new look.
Duly noted and thanks! Sitting a little higher I could prolly live with. You went with Aquaris ? Ceramic Insert - 007 SMP - Luminous Aquaris

45$ shipped isn’t bad and dhl kicks ass.
Will probably happen down the road when / if I get bored haha

·
Registered
551 Posts
It rotates, my issue is that the triangle and Pip of the insert are on the flat of the bezel assembly. There are 12 corners on the bezel assembly for every hour and five minutes purposely. My lume Pip and triangle should be on one of said bezel bezel assembly corners.
Oh, now I see.
If you just take the ring out and put in in the right place ? This solution should be cheap and can be done by any watchmaker imo...
I don’t see any problem with your bezel. It seems good enough except the positioning..

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh, now I see.
If you just take the ring out and put in in the right place ? This solution should be cheap and can be done by any watchmaker imo...
I don’t see any problem with your bezel. It seems good enough except the positioning..
Yea exactly purely an issue of the insert’s positioning on the bezel assembly. Decisions decisions

1 - 20 of 42 Posts