WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

better means of bezel insert attachment

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Duly noted and thanks! Sitting a little higher I could prolly live with. You went with Aquaris ? Ceramic Insert - 007 SMP - Luminous Aquaris

45$ shipped isn’t bad and dhl kicks ass.
Will probably happen down the road when / if I get bored haha
Yes, it was the Aquaris.

Your bezel insert looks indeed pretty beaten up. You can scout eBay or the sales forum for an original. Maybe sending it to Omega for service is not a bad idea if you want to spend the money.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Omega doesn't replace the bezel insert alone. They will replace the whole bezel assembly. They don't have the insert part in their catalogue. That's what the Omega Service Centre in Toronto told me when I asked to have my bezel insert replaced.

Reactions: gra1lhunt20

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Omega doesn't replace the bezel insert alone. They will replace the whole bezel assembly. They don't have the insert part in their catalogue. That's what the Omega Service Centre in Toronto told me when I asked to have my bezel insert replaced.
Correct. For all the aluminum inserts, they are not sold as separate parts, but the entire bezel is replaced. For the ceramic inserts, it varies. Some you can get the insert, but others you have to purchase the whole bezel.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Correct. For all the aluminum inserts, they are not sold as separate parts, but the entire bezel is replaced. For the ceramic inserts, it varies. Some you can get the insert, but others you have to purchase the whole bezel.
oh! got it. I see why so many people go aftermarket then when their originals get scarred up. TBD on replacing. Thank You both for the info Archer and Achilles👍

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Friends, if I were to send this piece in for a full service with an aftermarket bezel insert, what would omega do? My watchmaker doesn’t want to take a shot at removing / adjusting the insert. Two knowledgeable guys in my area said no thanks to the job.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
My gut feel tells me Omega will remove the after-market bezel and install the correct part for you which will be the whole bezel assembly. Which is not bad as I personally hate after-market parts on my watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: gra1lhunt20

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
My guy feel tells me Omega will remove the after-market bezel and install the correct part for you which will be the whole bezel assembly. Which is not bad as I personally hate after-market parts on my watch.

Yeah honestly man hearing that, I’m definitely gonna just send it in when the time is right cuz I could give a rats ass about an aftermarket bezel insert.
well... except that sick all lumed ceramic one from @TagTime
Thanks for relaying the info!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
My gut feel tells me Omega will remove the after-market bezel and install the correct part for you which will be the whole bezel assembly. Which is not bad as I personally hate after-market parts on my watch.

$550 full service for non chronograph mechanical, Can i buy the bezel part–that is the sainless steel assembly AND insert through an AD? any idea of approximate cost or part number? @Archer perhaps you might know

·
Registered
73 Posts
$550 full service for non chronograph mechanical, Can i buy the bezel part–that is the sainless steel assembly AND insert through an AD? any idea of approximate cost or part number? @Archer perhaps you might know
The bezel assembly is sold as a whole and no AD will sell you the part alone. Omega will replace it for around $250 and state on the cost estimate that you previously had a non-original bezel.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The bezel assembly is sold as a whole and no AD will sell you the part alone. Omega will replace it for around $250 and state on the cost estimate that you previously had a non-original bezel.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Thanks RMerc!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Just bought a genuine stainless bond style bezel of the 2532.80

has anyone done a mod of any bond(2531.80) or other color variations - smaller font bezel onto the 2254 or put an electric blue (2255.80) bezel on the 2254 with its black dial?

In the position of having a 2254 with an aftermarket insert and haven’t been able to work up the courage or get anywhere in seeing if I can work the pesky aftermarket insert off.
This new stainless assembly+bezel from the 2532.80 is an interesting route to explore.
Posting mod pictures as described or any input would be appreciated (the mod u see is always PO bezel and second hand) “2254+”. I have a feeling I may just end up doing a full service but that won’t happen for at least a year

Bezel was a great price and now I have something to fiddle with and better understand this line of watches I adore.
worst case I can have the stainless bezel removed if it looks off aesthetically or send in for service and take a small haircut on the cost of the stainless bezel if omega keeps it when I do a full service on the 2254. I will post pics side by side when I have these in hand.

I know the electric blue variant of the 2254 has its fans. As far as general omega lovers go does the 2532.80 have much of a following? I don’t see much fanfare about it online, and it’s can’t stack up to the 2531.80 or 2254 cult following. What do you think about the stainless bezel variant of the bond, or do you think it’s a reasonably well received seamaster model among watch enthusiasts? Seems like people find the SS bezel ‘blingy’ I guess I will see

thanks in advance

As is

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
i got the stainless (not polished) version with the black print. I think it looks better than the polished insert but that's easily enough changed with the scrubby stuff people use for refinishing and touchups. I am sort of alarmed that it is so easy to take of the bezel, but it does allow for quick changes without drama. Personally, i haven't seen a good 3rd party bezel pip that could make me overlook the 'fakeness' of a non omega insert. In your shoes, I would brush the silver bezel, maybe add some black lacquer into the text, and use that. OR, yeah, when you get it serviced, send it without a bezel and ask for a new one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
First, congrats on the 2254. It is a classic piece.

Your bezel insert is most likely attached with double sided tape. As a previous poster indicated, the original insert is set by friction.

Maybe this also a solution for you if you interested. In the Seamaster thread I saw a couple months ago someone who posted his 2254 with a modern ceramic bezel insert that would be for a Seiko SKX007. Yes, you read that right. I was also baffled that a Seiko insert would fit the SMP, but I was interested and ordered one. The ‘pip’ is slightly different than the modern Omega Seamasters, but that is fine by me. I have it attached with 2mm wide double sided tape and this is the result:

I like the look of the ceramic, more modern look and it saves my original one from being further scratched up. It is not in bad shape, but want to keep it as best as possible. There is also B-7000 adhesive that some modders use, but I think that is a more permanent solution.

That actually looks really good! I'd definitely consider going that route.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
That actually looks really good! I'd definitely consider going that route.
The ceramic is sick isn’t it. @TagTime knows I’m rather infatuated with it but I lack the craftsman chops to get an already set insert out of the assembly. Have tried with a couple different appendages to start loosening and have totally struck out. 😔

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
i got the stainless (not polished) version with the black print. I think it looks better than the polished insert but that's easily enough changed with the scrubby stuff people use for refinishing and touchups. I am sort of alarmed that it is so easy to take of the bezel, but it does allow for quick changes without drama. Personally, i haven't seen a good 3rd party bezel pip that could make me overlook the 'fakeness' of a non omega insert. In your shoes, I would brush the silver bezel, maybe add some black lacquer into the text, and use that. OR, yeah, when you get it serviced, send it without a bezel and ask for a new one.
Thanks for your input! Yea, hate the Pip and the misalignment as it is now. What do you use to remove a bezel assembly easily? Or were u referring to the insert, if so what do u use?

I fancy having a go at constructing the diy one out of a bushing and hose clamp that someone posted.
i think doing a brushed finish on my bond bezel sounds good.
Can you post yours with the brushed stainless insert?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Thanks for your input! Yea, hate the Pip and the misalignment as it is now. What do you use to remove a bezel assembly easily? Or were u referring to the insert, if so what do u use?

I fancy having a go at constructing the diy one out of a bushing and hose clamp that someone posted.
i think doing a brushed finish on my bond bezel sounds good.
Can you post yours with the brushed stainless insert?
Search “omega bezel tool” - I think I got mine for $15 or so. It’s a plastic C-shaped rubber ring, pops off the bezel very easily.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts