WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I got my ceramic bezel insert for my O1B yesterday and went straight to my local watchsmith. He called me a few minutes ago saying that he wasn't able to replace the insert. He said that the he can't get out the old insert and he's afraid that he'll broke the watch. He also said that there should be some kind of ring which isn't.

So I'm asking you: Is replacing the bezel insert really so hard or is my watchsmith incapable?

Thank you.

·
Registered
20,580 Posts
At least he was prudent and honest.

I'm a professional [desk] diver.

Reactions: oshee

·
Registered
399 Posts
Not sure why he can't. Take it back and do it yourself. Maybe he thinks it should just pop out? A lot of people here have had luck heating it; to some degree. And slowly moving it back and forth till they can get it out. It's glued in so you essentially want to heat the glue to pull it out. The bezel doesn't pop off like an skx or something. But heat and using some force, repetitively will work. You can also drill a small hole into the bezel insert itself to get a better for prying it out with a small screw driver. Search this forum and you will find better instructions!

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I did some research and found out that the bezel on Steinhart can't simply be removed, but you actually have to heat it/drill a hole into the insert and then take it out ...

The watchsmith said that it is glued too strong and that he didn't want to break my watch. At least he tried hard:
DSC_0235.JPG

I wasn't happy with that so after reading some articles I decided to replace the insert by myself.

It wasn't so hard as I thought it would have been. I heated the watch, pilled a hole into the bezel and voila, it came off easily.

DSC_0237.JPG

After the bezel insert was replaced, the watch got a new look.

DSC_0238.JPG

It has definetly lost it's distinctive retro look, which I was in love with. Now it looks bigger (more like 44mm), fancier, but darker. Can't wait to see it outdoors (esp. under the sun). At the moment I am not entirely convinced that I did the right thing. But for only 30€ I had to try it. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well done... it's SO satisfying dining something yourself - well done (again)!!! :-!

Although I will caviat that statement with... I prefer the alu bezel - well, at least until they make an engraved ceramic bezel (like the OTi500) available! |>|>|> Hopefully / maybe!!!?!?!?!?

·
Registered
20,580 Posts
Well done, congrats.

I'm a professional [desk] diver.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I did some research and found out that the bezel on Steinhart can't simply be removed, but you actually have to heat it/drill a hole into the insert and then take it out ...

The watchsmith said that it is glued too strong and that he didn't want to break my watch. At least he tried hard:
View attachment 6863706

I wasn't happy with that so after reading some articles I decided to replace the insert by myself.

It wasn't so hard as I thought it would have been. I heated the watch, pilled a hole into the bezel and voila, it came off easily.

View attachment 6863802

View attachment 6863994

It has definetly lost it's distinctive retro look, which I was in love with. Now it looks bigger (more like 44mm), fancier, but darker. Can't wait to see it outdoors (esp. under the sun). At the moment I am not entirely convinced that I did the right thing. But for only 30€ I had to try it. :)
I agree. I am not a fan of that ceramic, too glossy, and needs etching with a white paint. Now you know how to do it though, so a quick change shouldn't be too hard.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It isn't necessary to damage the old bezel insert to remove it. I changed mine out last summer, and unless Steinhart has made a drastic change in their glue, it's very easy. I sat the watch outside, on a flat surface in direct sunlight , for about 10 minutes. I found the glue was soft enough from the heat to move the insert inside the bezel. then i used an X-Acto blade to slide between the insert & bezel. It came right off. I used the same blade (careful, it's razor sharp) to get the glue residue out of the track for the insert, then lined up the lume pip with the 12:00 hour marker. Boom, done.

Before
IMG_0461.JPG

After
steiny black.jpg

P.S. I had to go with the Black insert. They no longer make the Blue aluminum that mine originally came with.But the old one is intact if I ever wanted to put it back on.

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
I would like to see some Steinhart Ocean 1 models with the OVM inserts that aren't OVM models.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I notice that your original blue bezel insert also had the "10", rather than a hash mark; I wonder if they still make a black bezel insert with the "10"...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I think that with ceramic bezel an O1B can no longer be reffered as a sub homage, because the watch looks very stand-alone now. And it's more Ocean Grey now than Black. :)
Under the right angle it looks beautiful.

Sadly my black leather strap doesn't look well on it (my favorite strap). I'll have to consider something new.

Maybe the original vanilla scent rubber band will be the right choice. Bracelet is most stylish, but wearing extra 200g on the wrist whole day gets annoying.

Poslano z mojega E2003 z uporabo Tapatalk

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts

View attachment 6863706

View attachment 6863802

View attachment 6863994

Good job! I'm about to replace the bezel on my Ocean Black with a ceramic insert. Given that you were successful, could you say just how you heated the bezel on your watch? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
Am I the only one who finds this disconcerting?
Well, one, it’s never good to leave your watch sitting around in direct sunlight for any length of time. I’ve seen watch hands lume melt right off. Two, he’s referring to actually applying a decent amount of force to twist the insert opposite of the bezel once it’s heated enough. It’s not like it’s going anywhere just cause it got hot.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
Put the bezel in a small container, (souffle cup, jar lid, etc.) so it sits face down on the bottom. Pour in some "Goof-Off", just enough to cover it. Let it soak for an hour and the insert will fall right out. It really helps with cleaning out the old glue, as well. Stainless steel and sapphire are unaffected. In fact it cleans them wonderfully. Never tried it on titanium or other metals. Proceed with caution. I picked this up from a Seiko modder. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
▲▲▲ - Except that does NOT work w/a Steinhart, as the bezel assembly is, for all intents & purposes, not "removable" from the case itself. Not to say that you couldn't "submerge" the entire watch in Goof-Off, but uh - YOU go first...

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
▲▲▲ - Except that does NOT work w/a Steinhart, as the bezel assembly is, for all intents & purposes, not "removable" from the case itself. Not to say that you couldn't "submerge" the entire watch in Goof-Off, but uh - YOU go first...
Nah, you go. I'd try it with an old one first. You are right, we remove the bezel. It's easy on an Skx. Supposedly, it doesn't affect the seals, but ........

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
My bezel is stuck, help.

If anyone is about to change their insert on model 39, I would greatly appreciate it if you could look at the bezel after youve removed insert : on top of the bezel, there is a groove where the insert fits : on the groove, is there some kind of gap which is separating the rotating bezel from the case? I just glued my insert on top of the bezels groove stacked some weight on it, and let the glue dry overnight. Outcome : looks excellent, but the bezel will not rotate anymore. I can not understand the outcome. Also the original bezel had glue residue when I removed it but the bezel rotated fine.

the whole bezel should be separate element on top of the case, gluing something on top of bezel should not hinder the rotation of the bezel?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts