WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am considering the purchase of the GMT 50th anniversary, but I don't like the bezel insert. I have seen pictures of either all black swap or the all steel version from the Great White GMT.

Has anyone done this? How easy is it to change the insert on Omegas? I have done it on my SKX mods but would be more tentative to put a knife on a Omega...

Thanks

Images for reference:
1. Great White insert on the 50th anniversary.

2. All black insert:

·
Registered
539 Posts
Definitely don’t do it with a knife! Even if you manage to avoid scratching, you will absolutely add micro bend (or obvious) and warping to the bezel. It won’t sit tightly the way it does normally afterwards. See any of Archer’s posts on this where he shared photos of mangled bezels.

You’ll want a tool like this:

You could also try this: Horotec Swiss Watch Hand Operated Rubber Bezel Remover

Although I’ll say that I have mixed success with it since there isn’t the leverage of the pictured tool above.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definitely don’t do it with a knife! Even if you manage to avoid scratching, you will absolutely add micro bend (or obvious) and warping to the bezel. It won’t sit tightly the way it does normally afterwards. See any of Archer’s posts on this where he shared photos of mangled bezels.

You’ll want a tool like this:

You could also try this: Horotec Swiss Watch Hand Operated Rubber Bezel Remover

Although I’ll say that I have mixed success with it since there isn’t the leverage of the pictured tool above.
Thanks that's great to know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Post pics if you do it as I'd be real interested.
I decided to go for the Bell & Ross BR V2-93 GMT instead. It might not have the retain value of Omega, but they are thinner and look better too. And I got a very good price, so retain value is not really an issue.

One day I'll get an Omega, but not quite yet. If only they could do thinner and smaller divers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts