WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Last week I was cleaning my beautiful G Shock 5700 with a toothbrush and some mild detergent when the bezel just crumbled off! I have had this watch since 1987 - and thought that it would go on forever. Its still on, just without a bezel :(.

This is what it looked like before the debacle -

The watch is still in outstanding shape - though it looks terrible without a bezel. After much searching I thought that I would replace the bezel with a Brazilian bezel (Non OEM, available from the auction site) - though they do not make the bezel in the right color combination (My bezel was black with Gold and white text - to match the gold buttons and gold and white rim on the mineral crystal). The Brazilian bezels are actually Gold and Red or White and Red!

Is there any way I can paint this red text to white without ruining the bezel. Please share your thoughts.
I also felt that dropping almost $50 on a cheaper bezel (That probably costs a dollar!) was a bit ridiculous. I am torn between whether I should get a newer G Shock 5600 or revive my tuna can classic DW5700.

Have any of you replaced you DW5700C bezel with the Brazilian one (Not the Brazilian 5600C bezel)? If so, would you please care to show me the final photos of the end product.

Lastly, I saw an original DW5700 on the auction site, with a strange bezel that was identical to the DW5700 original bezel - though a non Casio branded one! It seem that the seller had got a cheaper DW5700 knockoff, and used its bezel to cover the original watch. Here is a photo of that bezel -

Do any of you know what that watch is or whether I could get it to transplant the bezel!? I would love to give it a try and probably stealth the bezel! Do let me know.

BTW, here is my original 1987 DW5700 (As of right now) with Gold buttons, screws and strap in fine condition -

Do respond to this post as I cant get this fix out of my mind...
Best regards,

GP (Dubai).

·
Banned
19 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but I think that you can put on a DW5600C bezel on your DW5700. I think that the DW5600C bezel fits on a DW5700 case. Look on Ebay and buy a DW5600C bezel.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I wouldn't go the 5600C route. I've seen some 5700's with a 5600 bezel and they look terrible in my opinion, due to the curved lines under the crystal. I haven't heard any bad things about the brazilian bezels apart from the fact that they are not genuine. They look like quite good quality. I'd give one of them a go.

You can get some products like 'goof-off' (I think that is what it's called) to take off the paint, then you could reapply the correct colour yourself. Have a look in the "Articles & Tutorials" section for further information, as I'm sure that there will be something in there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey everyone...

@drswiss - thanks for the reply. that is the brazilian bezel i was talking about in my original post... Wanted to see what it looks like on others members watches or if anyone painted the text on one...

@opc - thanks - though i would go with a 5700 (gold and white text as my first option) or a 5600 (gold text as my second option) - being that it looks too naked now!

@godizded - wow - that actually doesnt look half bad. I think that bezel would match my model perfectly - cause I have a gold / yellow curved marking on my crystal (And yours does a great job too, even with white). Where did you get that bezel (5600 with gold text)? I am hungry for one now!

@erik_alves - do you have any sample shots of a painted text bezel. I'm afraid you wont have too much precision when using nail polish - due to its viscosity!

Thanks folks and keep it coming!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
WorldTime643 said:
Here is my DW-5700C-9 with a Brazilian aftermarket bezel. My watch isn't in as good condition as yours but I think the bezel looks great even if the colour combination is not 100% authentic.
I have always been skeptical about those bezels from Brazil... until I saw your pictures. Could they be a real alternative and pick up where Casio left it? I think so

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@WorldTime643 - WOW! Thank you very much for posting this. Though it isn't the original, I love the look of the bezel! I am ordering one now as I type... Will probably use it like it is for a while and then may experiment with filling the red text with white paint.

Beautiful... I am in awe... I notice that you ordered 2 bezels... Did you get a deal on that (Such as combined shipping etc)? Do let me know - so I could probably order more than 1.

Again, thanks for the shots and do post up some wrist shots as well!

PS. Your watch is in great condition. All you need to do is clean up the crystal. Maybe this link can help - https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/mineral-crystal-scrath-removal-228323.html

All the best... GP

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm curious about your news of bezel replacement. I had an adventure with my DW-5700 today. It had sat in a junk box for ten years or so after the bezel cracked. Then my current G-Shock (which replaced the Atomic Solar that went to Iraq in 2004 and which I baked in the sun while recharging it, so that, back in the Maine woods in a snowy wet December it apparently got full of water and the power went all crazy) began blanking out like it had power-saving (which the instructions said it did not have) and finally went blank permanently. I tried pressing four buttons at once. Finally I came across Mr. Romers' You-Tube instructional video on how to change a G-Shock battery. I found the courage to "take a look inside" this latest watch (module 2548, ten year battery). I got an inspiration and reset it (by grounding the battery to the case, as in installing a new battery), and it returned to normal. Meanwhile I'd been looking at the DW-5700, which was still within an hour or two of being accurate. The bezel crumbled away completely as I tried to adjust it, then the display froze. I tried the "duct-tape ball" to unscrew the back without success. Today I got the inspiration to try the four-buttons-at-once trick, and it, too, has now recovered its normal functioning. So perhaps I will see about a new bezel now. I note the Brazilian source has raised the price of the DW-5700 bezel, and that shipping it costs $8.00 more than to ship a DW-5600 bezel. Now I wonder if I could have saved the Atomic Solar with a reset, or at least a new battery.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well I just wanted to thank everyone who was involved with this thread. I managed to get my bezel for the watch from Antonio - WorldTime643, who had ordered a few extra bezels from Brazil. I also paid for a bezel on eBay, which has just come in the mail todayafter 5 months!

chrisrushlau- PM me if you are interested in buying the extra bezel from me, after you read the review.

The bezel fits well on the watch, though there are manufacturing flashes in the bezel (More near the button holes) which are quite minor and easily removable. They didn't bother me too much and I left them as is. Also my original bezel was white and gold, but this red and gold bezel does look the part and actually adds some color to the bezel, giving it life and character! I may paint the red bits white, but as of now I'm happy with the look.

The material is more plastic than rubber, but in terms of base color and look, it looks almost 95% of the original. My biggest problem is the part of the bezel which goes over the area of the strap and screws (Behind the spring-bar). This area looks well finished and fits well, but it is slightly thick, which then leads to the case becoming wider and higher than the strap. It's almost like there is no gradual fade from the case to the strap (As in the original), but makes it look like a wrong or smaller strap was attached to the case (You will notice this in the first 'Front Angle' photo). Thanks to rutteger from http://www.g-shockzone.com for initially pointing this out.

Apart from this, I am very satisfied with the bezel and the watch looks and feels great.
Here are the photos of my DW5700C with the new bezel :) .

Front Angle:
DSC02644.jpg

Wrist Angle:
DSC02648.jpg

Side Angle:
DSC02641.jpg

Couple shot with my new "Men in Smoky Gray" Gulfman:

DSC02662.JPG

Again, thank you all for your inputs, especially Antonio for sending me the bezel and his inputs.
If you members have any questions, please feel free to post here or PM me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here is Gaurang's bezel, now mounted on my watch up here in Maine, USA. A tribute to the global postal system.
It's a lot smaller on my wrist than my current, late-model G Shock. Plus you have to love that built-like-a-bank-vault case.
Thanks, Gaurang.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just brought my old DW5700 back to life with a new battery, gasket, and a Brazilian Bezel. This was my favorite watch for many years, and was a gift from my folks right when they came out in the mid 80's. I wore it water skiiing, snow skiing, surfing, working, hiking,and the original battery was still operating it until about a year ago. There is a difference in the texture of the bezel, but I have a DW5600 bezel from a local, reputable watch store that has the same "less smooth" texture. In any case, I'm just happy that someone is still making the bezel. I think mine originally had the white lettering on the outside portion like this bezel, but it crumbled away years ago, and the paint had fallen out long before that. I don't have any pics of it new, but this is with the Brazilian bezel.

DW5700 Casio.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great work tap :-!

Can I ask you how long did it take for Brasil bezel to arrive to your place?
Took almost one month. Purchased from ebay seller watches.br on March 25, and it arrived April 22. I didn't even get a shipping notice for a week, but frankly, I expected it would take a while to get from Brazil to Southern California, and I always allow that sellers may be out of town or something when a purchase is made. Came with a new case gasket as well for $35 total, and he paid $12 to ship it. A bit pricey, but not out of line IMO. In fact, I think the DW5600 bezel was $15 locally, so for the DW5700 bezel and gasket, $23 is very fair.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My replacement bezel from Gaurang (see above) tore yesterday. I had it looped over my belt, under my coat, and something bumped up against it evidently. If the bezel is essentially a ring (circle), the tear almost opens the ring into a linear strip of plastic. Duct tape is holding it closed and on the watch. I've ordered a replacement (after 25 years of (non-continuous) use--on original battery!) from Amazon: Casio G-Shock DW5600E-1V Men's Watch.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Chris. Just saw your message! Sad to hear - but do post some photos of your watch here, once you fix it up. We love retro watches that have been revived a second time over.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts