WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the bezel plastic, metal? What is it?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Black/Orange bezel is plastic.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I have a Black/Orange

...and I can't tell. I think it could be metal but if it's plastic it doesn't look like it.

I can't say, and if someone knows for sure, then, I'll take their word for it.

nice watch beside the crappy bright orange band - which I'm taking care of right away!. ;-)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Well my Black/Orange bezel is plastic.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I was disappointed when I received my Core Stealth, because the bezel isn't anything like the mock-up image on Suunto's website (and that of their dealers).

Look at the one at the top of this page, for example. It's matt/low-sheen with prominent contrasting finger grips in gloss/high-sheen. In "real life" the bezel is much cheaper-looking, being gloss/high-sheen with indentations rather than grips.

Misleading advertising.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I was disappointed when I received my Core Stealth, because the bezel isn't anything like the mock-up image on Suunto's website (and that of their dealers).

Look at the one at the top of this page, for example. It's matt/low-sheen with prominent contrasting finger grips in gloss/high-sheen. In "real life" the bezel is much cheaper-looking, being gloss/high-sheen with indentations rather than grips.

Misleading advertising.
I totally agree about the bezel. The first thing that struck me on opening my Core was the bezel finish and action. Mine is so sloppy that it rattles. For the price point that it sells at, the Core needs to at least match, if not beat the X-Lander for perceived build quality. As part of my dialogue with Suunto over my early problems I sent them a feedback report and other than issues about missed features, my main problem was over the bezel. If they could put the bezel from the X-Lander onto the Core, it would be awesome!
I appreciate that the Core is not built in Suunto's normal facility in Finland and so QC issues may take a while to get sorted, but Suunto need to ensure that these niggles don't disillusion and loose their new customers the Core has attracted or alienate their existing customers who are used to something better built.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I totally agree about the bezel. The first thing that struck me on opening my Core was the bezel finish and action. Mine is so sloppy that it rattles. For the price point that it sells at, the Core needs to at least match, if not beat the X-Lander for perceived build quality. As part of my dialogue with Suunto over my early problems I sent them a feedback report and other than issues about missed features, my main problem was over the bezel. If they could put the bezel from the X-Lander onto the Core, it would be awesome!
I appreciate that the Core is not built in Suunto's normal facility in Finland and so QC issues may take a while to get sorted, but Suunto need to ensure that these niggles don't disillusion and loose their new customers the Core has attracted or alienate their existing customers who are used to something better built.
My yellow and black core bezel is very tight, and you have to use the extreme end of your fingertips to move it at all.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I actually took two Core's back (both black/orange) over a two week period. First one the compass froze, bezel became very loose, and for little outdoor use the orange band became unbearably dirty. I exchanged for a second watch because I really liked the CORE, but after two days noticed that there was grey discoloration in the black screen making it a little lighter/foggier in the same area near the lower left button. I got my money back from the dealer who also could see the flaw. They did say something as well about quality control issues with this new CORE line and that they were made at a new factory.

I went to another local outdoor store and went with the tried and true positive face X lander. I miss the baro graph/sunset-sunrise and snooze alarm function the most from the CORE, but Ill take long-term reliability, and very clean and strong body and bezel, over the bells and whistles of the CORE anyday.

Maybe version 2 of the CORE will have the bugs worked out??

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hesitate to ask,,,, But are you sure it's plastic? Surely they couldn't have made ones with Aluminum and ones with plastic.. Could they:-s

Shep
Now that I think of it, the yellow / black one may just be "shiny paint?" It sure does look like a metal alloy though...

·
Registered
493 Posts
Yep, I was wrong :oops:.
Now that I've got mine back, I've just been doing a little mod that involved removong the bezel and I can now tell that the outer shell on the Black/Orange is alloy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts