WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
don't spose anyone has any tips on the replacement of the bezel in my Ocean One Green do they? Also there is a couple of marks on the bezel whats the best way to remove them .

·
Registered
269 Posts
Steinhart won't sell replacement bezel inserts any more - you have to return the watch for insert replacement (although I think I read recently that someone had bought an insert from Gnomen, so they might still be available.) The insert is held in with double-sided adhesive tape. I'm pretty sure you can remove it with carefully applied heat (hair drier or hot water) and some sideways pressure on the lume pip to start the insert rotating. I replaced mine semi-destructively with the sharp point of an X-acto blade, but I was replacing it anyway. I wasn't able to cut double-sided tape finely enough to install the new insert, so I ended up epoxying it in place - not without some hassle, an inevitable tendril of epoxy made its way down into the ratchet and locked the bezel up. I let it harden, then carefully used a slip lock wrench to turn the bezel and break the epoxy lock - once it started moving, it was easy to move by hand and free things up - bezel action is perfect now. Good thing about epoxy vs tape is that you have time to get the insert perfect aligned before the epoxy sets. Downside is that getting the insert out again is likely more difficult than simply defeating some tape.
Not sure what the marks are, but it looks like something has eaten into the anodizing on the Al insert - if so, there's nothing to be done.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steinhart won't sell replacement bezel inserts any more - you have to return the watch for insert replacement (although I think I read recently that someone had bought an insert from Gnomen, so they might still be available.) The insert is held in with double-sided adhesive tape. I'm pretty sure you can remove it with carefully applied heat (hair drier or hot water) and some sideways pressure on the lume pip to start the insert rotating. I replaced mine semi-destructively with the sharp point of an X-acto blade, but I was replacing it anyway. I wasn't able to cut double-sided tape finely enough to install the new insert, so I ended up epoxying it in place - not without some hassle, an inevitable tendril of epoxy made its way down into the ratchet and locked the bezel up. I let it harden, then carefully used a slip lock wrench to turn the bezel and break the epoxy lock - once it started moving, it was easy to move by hand and free things up - bezel action is perfect now. Good thing about epoxy vs tape is that you have time to get the insert perfect aligned before the epoxy sets. Downside is that getting the insert out again is likely more difficult than simply defeating some tape.
Not sure what the marks are, but it looks like something has eaten into the anodizing on the Al insert - if so, there's nothing to be done.
The marks are the ones on the bezel itself , the inlay marks are where it came in contact with the floor after too many stellas 🍺🍺 opps.
I have a bezel coming from Gnoman 👍

Reactions: Thunder1

·
Registered
269 Posts
Got it - maybe give the bezel a polish once the old insert is out of the way? The replacement bezel will likely have double-sided tape already installed, so you can avoid my epoxy-based misadventures :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Posted late on the 28/04/21 in Singapore, received in the Y-uk 11am 30th , amazing service i cant post a card to a family member here at the moment and it not get elsewhere in the Y-uk in 48hours 🤣😂
Next job after i finish painting the ceiling of the livingroom👍.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Posted late on the 28/04/21 in Singapore, received in the Y-uk 11am 30th , amazing service i cant post a card to a family member here at the moment and it not get elsewhere in the Y-uk in 48hours 🤣😂
Next job after i finish painting the ceiling of the livingroom👍.
View attachment 15856382
Congrats!!..could you us tell how expensive the bezel was?...
:unsure:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Including airpost £80.0. not cheap but as the watch only cost me £137.0 im still well happy.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stoked, this went really well, even fixed some of the damage on the bezel ring 👍 so happy with how my budjet steinhart came out 👍

·
Registered
2,908 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's nearly theft!!!..looks swell, btw!!..
:cool:
Thunder tbh it feels like it, im not flash i wanted a nice watch the steinhart ticked all the boxes and a cheeky offer on ebay got me it for £134.0 inc postage. So for £215 ish ive got a great looking watch.
With this and the Seiko that i got from a pawn shop for next to nothing ive got 2 great automatic watches, and used all my 2021 luck on 2 watches🤣😂🤣.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts