WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I picked up a cheap beater Black BFK last year that had a number of scratches in the finish and was without a bracelet. After wearing for awhile as a beater I decided to use it as a Project watch and crudely attempted to remove the plating via sanding with mixed results as documented in a thread last year. Ended up with an aged patina look. Looks better in the photo than real life........

Fast forward to today. I just ordered a LNIB Seiko ska371 as I liked this watch so much and wanted a nicer version to wear. Now the above experiment watch is expendable so I thought perhaps a series of durability tests would be in order to test the ruggedness of the Kinetic movement/rotor as some have cited this as a weakness versus a traditional battery powered quartz watch. Of course these tests would be scientifically documented here. A couple of ideas I had mirror the standard G-shock torture tests, such as freezing in ice, running through the dishwasher, throwing out a second floor window, boiling etc..... Curious if anyone else has ideas for testing the movement. Have to keep in mind that I opened the watch numerous times during the refinish process, so the WR could be compromised................ I will report back over the weekend..............

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Re: BFK Durability Testing

HAHA this could become the most anticipated thread for everyone!!

You should schedule your posts so we can "TUNE IN" as soon as they are posted!!

You know, someone asks you, "So, what are you up to friday night?"

and you go: "Oh, just gonna tune in to see whether the BFK survived a TTW (Torture Test of the Week)!"

And the other person is gonna go: "WTF is BFK, or TTW, and i dont think we should be friends anymore?"

:)

·
Registered
2,621 Posts

I love the idea go for it!!!
-O

·
Registered
540 Posts

for additional ideas, search for some user "yamahaki" torture test posts on WUS and other forums. He did a series of funny videos abusing watches to and beyond their limits. Not sure if his videos are still online, but they were very amusing and creative. He dropped off WUS a few years back, but was one of the big personalities during the first few years after I found WUS.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

Just tightened the crown , synced to my atomic casio and submerged in .001 ATM of tap water in polyethylene test container. Placed in my deep freeze. Subject is resting comfortably next to Frozen sausage. Will report back tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

for additional ideas, search for some user "yamahaki" torture test posts on WUS and other forums. He did a series of funny videos abusing watches to and beyond their limits. Not sure if his videos are still online, but they were very amusing and creative. He dropped off WUS a few years back, but was one of the big personalities during the first few years after I found WUS.
Thanks for the tip, I found a little info on his test. I like his idea of using the washing machine spin cycle. That would be a good test of durability of the rotor. Also the power reserve was measuring 10 seconds today. Can't recall what that translates to but I will see how this changes through the tests.

·
Premium Member
7,747 Posts

Thanks for the tip, I found a little info on his test. I like his idea of using the washing machine spin cycle. That would be a good test of durability of the rotor. Also the power reserve was measuring 10 seconds today. Can't recall what that translates to but I will see how this changes through the tests.
That's a pretty low power reserve.

5 sec = 1 Day
10 sec = 1 Week
20 sec = 1 Month
30 sec = 6 months

Unless the tests simulate energetic wrist movement, the only change to the 10 sec reserve you observed will be a diminishment.

In all fairness to the watch, it would be a good idea to charge the watch more before testing. Especially the freezer test you have just started. Cold will reduce the level of charge.

HTH

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

That's a pretty low power reserve.

5 sec = 1 Day
10 sec = 1 Week
20 sec = 1 Month
30 sec = 6 months

Unless the tests simulate energetic wrist movement, the only change to the 10 sec reserve you observed will be a diminishment.

In all fairness to the watch, it would be a good idea to charge the watch more before testing. Especially the freezer test you have just started. Cold will reduce the level of charge.

HTH
It was actually at 20 sec last weekend so it is likely somewhere between 1 week and 1 month. Some say that they have trouble keeping these charged but mine gets worn a few afternoons per month and keeps going. Washer spin cycle was the test I thought might charge it. If the rotor holds.

·
Premium Member
7,747 Posts

It was actually at 20 sec last weekend so it is likely somewhere between 1 week and 1 month. Some say that they have trouble keeping these charged but mine gets worn a few afternoons per month and keeps going. Washer spin cycle was the test I thought might charge it. If the rotor holds.
My only concern was starting a freezer test with only 3.8% - 16.7% power reserve might be disappointing if the watch stops just because the battery capacity was reduced by the cold.

Just my USD0.02 ;-)

·
Registered
661 Posts

I think you'll find that at 1000rpm the inertia of the mechanism holds everything pretty still.

It would be more interesting to know if a tumble dryer will perform as a substitute for a watch winder, and I hereby propose this as the next test after the freezer.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts

I think you'll find that at 1000rpm the inertia of the mechanism holds everything pretty still.

It would be more interesting to know if a tumble dryer will perform as a substitute for a watch winder, and I hereby propose this as the next test after the freezer.
You sir are a pioneer! Albeit a slightly nutty one! ;-):-d

As a BFK owner I will be watching with great interest, I just hope it lives up to the Timex slogan... and keeps on ticking!

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

You sir are a pioneer! Albeit a slightly nutty one! ;-):-d

As a BFK owner I will be watching with great interest, I just hope it lives up to the Timex slogan... and keeps on ticking!
My suspicion is that the self winding mechanism is probably the weak point in the watch and would be the first to go in a washer/dryer test. I will likely save these for last. It would probably continue running after that point until the battery/capacitor runs down. I plan to also do a boiling water test, but not for too long, as I have seen Monster chapter ring melt when sitting next to a light bulb. I cannot recall if the movement retainer is also plastic.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts

This should be fun. I miss my BFKs and often think about grabbing another one.
There might be a spares/repairs on the board soon... with a free bag of frozen sausages!

·
G-Shock Mod
14,335 Posts

i think putting the watch in the washer / drying cycle will charge the watch right up (with all the turing motion) :)

Can't wait to see the result of your test

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)

Day two:

Removed watch from deep freeze and ran under hot water for a second to release it from the container. This caused the ice to crack.

I then dropped the block of ice from approximately 1 meter in an impromptu IPA fueled field shock test.

Then I submerged under hot running tap water to finish the defrost

Watch looks no worse for wear except it is 4 seconds behind the atomic clock in the 28 hours since I synced it. I assume this is due to the 22 hour deep freeze.

I have to do laundry tonight so perhaps another update later.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)

There might be a spares/repairs on the board soon... with a free bag of frozen sausages!
I never give away my sausage. The watch, maybe. Perhaps it should go to the person with the most creative test suggestion.

Edit: watch is now tumbling on permanent press medium-high in my Kenmore jumbo kinetic super charger with my kids tighty whities. I put it in a sock to spare my dryer, but I am still cringing at the sounds of it banging around. Power reserve was still at one week pryor to entering charging cylinder.

Update. After 25-30 minutes of banging I couldn't take it any longer and released the Seiko. Power reserve is now at 20 seconds/ 1 month. Rotor sounds the same when I spin the watch.

I think it is safe to say when my second newer BFK arrives this week I won't worry about damaging it. Also I have not mentioned that I wore the above watch finishing my basement, including use of hammer drills, sledge hammers, etc...

1 - 20 of 126 Posts