WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a Big Crown Small Second Pointer Day that I bought used. It has the Oris 645, which i believe is base ETA 2836-2. I measured it against time.gov on the winder over the past day and it gained a little bit over a minute. Is that enough to determine that it needs to be serviced?

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

mark

·
1,264 Posts
Yes, I would say a minute a day is in need of regulation and/or service. I would bet that watch is out of warranty due to the age of that model. So I would suggest you find a good local watchmaker and have him or her do a clean, lubricate, adjustment on the watch. Cost will probably be $150 or so, but depending on where you are located it may be more.

Chris

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I would say a minute a day is in need of regulation and/or service. I would bet that watch is out of warranty due to the age of that model. So I would suggest you find a good local watchmaker and have him or her do a clean, lubricate, adjustment on the watch. Cost will probably be $150 or so, but depending on where you are located it may be more.

Chris
thanks, Chris ... I'm in NJ and I know of a couple good local watchmakers ... I've read about Oris not providing parts to anyone not an authorized service center. Should that be of concern to me when dropping off to a local watchmaker?

·
Premium Member
72,509 Posts
Hi Mark, I agree with Chris - it sounds like your watch is in need of a service. Because it is an ETA movement any good watchmaker should be able to service it for you. The only time you would have to send it to an authorised repair centre is if it needed a new bezel, crown or some other part that only Oris can supply. Air any concerns you may have with the watch guy you select.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Mark, I agree with Chris - it sounds like your watch is in need of a service. Because it is an ETA movement any good watchmaker should be able to service it for you. The only time you would have to send it to an authorised repair centre is if it needed a new bezel, crown or some other part that only Oris can supply. Air any concerns you may have with the watch guy you select.
Great! Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Full service would probably be a good idea, but it might be as simple as the movement being magnetized, which is a 20 second fix. How old is the watch?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Full service would probably be a good idea, but it might be as simple as the movement being magnetized, which is a 20 second fix. How old is the watch?
It's definitely not in warranty anymore. I have read about electronics magnetizing watches. I keep my watch winders on my dresser next to a home theater receiver. Can that magnetize them?

·
Registered
820 Posts
It's definitely not in warranty anymore. I have read about electronics magnetizing watches. I keep my watch winders on my dresser next to a home theater receiver. Can that magnetize them?
Yes - it's possible. I'd move the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
854 Posts
Def move the case. What kind if winder do you have? There's the potential for a watch to be magnetized by the winder as well.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Def move the case. What kind if winder do you have? There's the potential for a watch to be magnetized by the winder as well.
I have both a Wolf Meridian and Brookstone 4-watch winder. I'm planning on moving them pretty soon. Thanks, guys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts