WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at watches with big date complications, e.g. GO panoreserve 65, A. Lange. etc.

I am wondering even for good brands such as GO and ALS, do their big dates also have 10 extra days per month, so the user has to adjust the date function every month? (from 32nd to 00)

Any owners can explain? Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
7,404 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by 10 extra days...

But as far as having to adjust it each month big dates are no different than regular dates.

The only watches that don't need to be adjusted every month are annual calendars or perpetual calendars. Annual calendars need to be adjusted once per year between February and March. And perpetual calendars need to be adjusted at most once every four years for leap year. Some won't even need that.

These kinds of watches could have a regular sized date or big date. They also often have indicators for the month or year.

Reactions: yuhengdu

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure what you mean by 10 extra days...

But as far as having to adjust it each month big dates are no different than regular dates.

The only watches that don't need to be adjusted every month are annual calendars or perpetual calendars. Annual calendars need to be adjusted once per year between February and March. And perpetual calendars need to be adjusted at most once every four years for leap year. Some won't even need that.

These kinds of watches could have a regular sized date or big date. They also often have indicators for the month or year.
I see, got it! Thanks for the explanation.

·
Premium Member
21,706 Posts
No, the better brands do not have the silly implementation of big dates that one sees in budget movements where one has to cycle from 32 to 39 before getting to 01. In particular, it will switch from 31 to 01 directly.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, the better brands do not have the silly implementation of big dates that one seems in budget movements where one has to cycle from 32 to 39 before getting to 01.
Great! Are there any alternative models besides GO or ALS that does big date right? Thanks!!

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
GO puts the date wheels on the same plane, GO in that direction.

Yes, if you spend that much they put 10 extra days in the month for you.

·
Premium Member
21,706 Posts
Great! Are there any alternative models besides GO or ALS that does big date right? Thanks!!
Most brands, with the exception of the cheapest Chinese movements implement the big date complication correctly. For example, I had a Baume and Mercier Hampton Annual Calendar which used a Dubois-Depraz big date and annual calendar module which did this correctly, and automatically adjusted for months of different lengths, except for February.

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
GO and Lange <> Seagull Big Date. There is no 32nd or 33rd.
31st to 1st

See video at 4mins 30 seconds

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
31st to 1st

That is one great looking watch! I don't even care if the date wheels are not on the same plane. And look at that movement!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
31st to 1st

Thank you! That movement turning video is toxicating! I can't take my eyes off it. I still want to ask the same question as above. Are we aware of some other cheaper (compared to GO and ALS) models that provide good implementations of big date? thanks.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
I just sold a nice Ebel Big Date and it contained a modified ETA 2896. Any watch with this movement should work as described, going from 31 to 01 automatically.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts