WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased a Big Date Special with the leather strap and I love it.
I use it mainly for casual and business casual wear.

I really like the Zenith strap, but I am interested to know what straps people are using on theirs.
I love the vintage look of the watch, and am interested in getting a distressed gunny strap, but wanted to see any pics people have of theirs.

I am also interested in seeing anyone's metal straps too.
I don't really like the stock metal one, but I saw another forum member who had this one, which looked good

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,442 Posts
Welcome to the Zenith forum. I'm sorry but your link doesn't work - could you repair it please?

As for straps, if I had the watch (unfortunately, I don't), I'd have it on a brown leather strap like the one it is actually sold on. Failing that, I'd be tempted to go for some NATO strap that suits the watch. Maybe unicoloured khaki, maybe something with gaudy stripes - the watch will take either IMO. Being predominantly black with some white, it is very versatile that way. But I do agree - the standard milanaise (fine mesh) bracelet doesn't really suit it much.....

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

Looks like their website is down, but the link is ok, i double checked my history.

I do really like the original strap, I'm just looking at options.
The Gunny Dark Oil Series looks amazing, but not sure it is different enough from stock to bother, especially once the Zenith strap has worn in.

I do like the idea of a Nato strap to give it a fresh look and feel.
Will take a look at some colours

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I love my Pilot Big Date. I have mine on the Super Engineer from Strap Code. It works very well, however, I always wonder what it would feel and look like on the milanese mesh.
I change my straps quite a bit, wearing it on a strap made by Jose from C&B straps (not crown and buckle). He is out of Spain, puts out a great product. I also wear it on a Red12 strap, made by Zack. Both work very well in my opinion.

Attachments

·
Read Only
7,342 Posts
Agree to disagree :)

What I like about the stock milanese (besides the look) is the comfort, versatility and that, as a keeper, I can wear it on the same strap/bracelet for the entirety of my ownership. Plus suitable aftermarket leather and nato straps are easier to find than bracelets (along with the oem leather being much cheaper to purchase post sale than the bracelet).

In my opinion though, it would take a lot to find a strap that wouldn't work well on this watch! Interested to see what other owners come up with. Any out there try the 21mm bracelet from other El Primero lines?

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
I love this watch. I went to look at it last year and ended up getting the speedmaster instead because I felt the zenith was a bit too thick. I also couldn't get over the uneven levels of the 2 digits in the big date. This is really nit picking though, and your pictures are making me massively jealous.....

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk

·
Read Only
7,342 Posts
I love this watch. I went to look at it last year and ended up getting the speedmaster instead because I felt the zenith was a bit too thick. I also couldn't get over the uneven levels of the 2 digits in the big date. This is really nit picking though, and your pictures are making me massively jealous..... Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk
I can see both points. With the date, I figure if ALS can do it, I won't hold it against Zenith :)

As for the thickness, I think both watches are 13.5mm thick iirc, but certainly there's more case to the Zenith as the Speedmaster has the domed crystal. I'm now trying to remember how my Speedy felt...

Edit for pic of Speedy Broad Arrow (same case dimensions) because, well why not?

·
Premium Member
Omega AT Day Date SS, Omega De Ville Trésor YG
4,046 Posts
Let me revive this zombie.

My Big Date Special should arrive next month and I already think which strap to order in addition to mesh.

I did not like OEM leather because of its yellowish color. The colors of the watch are mostly black and white but there is some blue tint from AR coating.

So the question is: which leather to get and in which color? I suppose alligator will be inappropriate here, so I think of some thick calf. Black or brown? Blue maybe? Which stitching, white or blue?

Pics are warmly welcomed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just purchased this wash in mesh. Although I love the mesh, would love to see additional pics and suggestions for aftermarket straps on this watch! Thanks!

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
Nice-looking watch!

·
Premium Member
Omega AT Day Date SS, Omega De Ville Trésor YG
4,046 Posts
I ordered the strap from Camille Fournet. Great quality but there's a catch: the holes are placed very low, though I needed to make additional hole by myself.
Anyway after only one day I've changed it back to mesh. Nothing beats Zenith's mesh bracelet.
Pic of the watch on leather:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts