WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Aloha Everyone,

It's been hard keeping this a secret, but now the deal is done and I am proud to say that Bathys Hawaii has been invited to participate in BaselWorld 2007 as an exhibitor.

This is no small coup - in 2006 only a 7 US-based companies exhibited (out of 350+ watch companies) - brands like Timex, Seiko USA, and Fossil Group were there, but the Fair has very strict standards about who they admit - you can't just buy your way in, you must be invited in. Companies sometimes wait years to get in, so I'm not exactly sure how I managed to sneak past the bouncers, but I AM IN! Come by and check me April 12-19th in Hall 5, Booth A33 (The Hall of Emotions). I'll be in the same hall as Anonimo, Vianney Halter, Doxa, Ernst Benz, ETA, Citizen, Invicta, Ronda, Seiko, Sinn, and Zeno - to name a few.

What I would like most to do is to introduce the world's watch lovers to Bathys Hawaii and let them decide for themselves who we are and what we stand for.

Also exposure at the Basel Fair will allow me to obtain dealers around the world which will help us grow - because in person, my watches sell themselves. Here in Hawaii at my 5 retailers, they sell out within weeks.

And this would be good for everyone, since it's much easier to lust after a watch AFTER you have seen it on your own wrist! :-d

As some of you know, I started my company partly in response to bad customer service I received at a major watch chain store - now wouldn't it be ironic if I started seeing Bathys watches at this same retailer? At first this makes me cringe a little, but then upon reflection, I realize that it is often easier to change things from the inside than from the outside. Perhaps once I was "in", I could make suggestions that would be taken seriously. We'll just have to see about that I guess....

For now, I am faced with the enormous task of organizing and transporting a trade show display halfway around the planet (and believe me, the BaselWorld displays are fancy!), plus all the other things I have to do (like finish design work on the new diver and analog tide watches).

But that's when you have to be glad that you love your job - and I do!

As for silver PVD automatics, I should have a firm ETA (a little horological pun there) by Friday - I'll post something here and update the 'Ohana.

I hope everyone is having a great 2007 so far.

Mahalo,
John

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Congratulations John that is a huge feather in your cap!
|> b-) :gold
That is sweet!
Regards
Robt
Aloha Everyone,

It's been hard keeping this a secret, but now the deal is done and I am proud to say that Bathys Hawaii has been invited to participate in BaselWorld 2007 as an exhibitor.

This is no small coup - in 2006 only a 7 US-based companies exhibited ...................................................................
Mahalo,
John

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Congratulations! :-! :-! :-!

That is HUGE

All the Best
Al

·
Registered
389 Posts
John,

Congrats and Big UPS to you and BATHYS HAWAII!!!!
BATHYS HAWAII will be a big hit at Basel 2007! And you are right, they "sell themeselves" when seen in person.

With ya all the way on this my friend. As we spoke, I wish you could go to Basel "Island style" with flip flops, board shorts, and aloha shirts...but maybe not for your first Basel :)

I'm working on what we have been speaking about as we speak, so will keep ya in the loop.

Congrats again John !

Erik in San Diego

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Congrats John, Take the Puka dog people and make Puka Dogs for everyone. Just saw them on the Travel Channel and told my wife now I have two things to do on Kauai when we get there some day.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
wonderful news but not surprising...

the company has a definite buzz, and the fresh looking products do stand out from all the others.
Congrats, John, and we look forward to some cool stuff to come!
DW

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
John,

You should be damn proud of this HUGE accomplishment. Good luck. Also, don't forget to take many pics so we can all enjoy your trip.

·
6,880 Posts
BIG congrats! Thats awesome.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Congratulations, John, at this great news. But don't leave the beach

before shipping my watch to me! I can hardly wait, and I look forward to a report describing a most successful experience at the Show!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks everyone!

I want to thank you guys since it's as much about you as is it about me. :thanks

And then I want to show you a SCARY picture:

This is exactly where my booth will be...just on the right with one of the black awnings.
Note: No flip flops in sight!

I already have decided to look rather traditional...Roman, my mentor in Switzlerland, told me this when I asked about wearing an Aloha Shirt....he says, "Oh by all means wear one, but if you do, you'd better eat every breakfast, lunch and dinner in it, bathe in it, live in it, die in it. Otherwise just wear a suit like the rest of us".
So he's got a point.

One thing I learned when I used to give lectures frequently, my personality is casual ENOUGH, I actually need to be a bit formal to acheive a good mix. Plus I can pull off the more conservative thing in small episodes, but it's pretty amusing to watch.

Of course Nick Hayek Sr. wears his "puffy shirt" and goes barefoot at the Fair...bully for him! I really wish someone would translate his new book into English.

And Mort, I wish I was at the beach! Sadly I spend way too much time on this laptop...and I still have about 3 hours of photoshop to grind out tonight for the BaselWorld catalog photo. I should have some pretty photos to share in the next day or so though....

back to it....

Cheers,
John

·
Registered
62 Posts
Congratulations John, I'm very happy for you! It must be immensely gratifying to be recognized like this for all of your hard work and efforts.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Champagne & Caviar from now on John:-! Congratulations, I cannot think of a more deserving person, well done.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Congratulations John, this is quite an achievement and you should be very proud of it.

Two thoughts for you as you approach the fair...

First stay true to yourself - that's what got you there in the first place. A suit may be necessary, but be sure you can still communicate your and the Bathys message while wearing it (and the other chains of the corporatized world).

Second, as you are realizing, your business is growing and the demands along with it. This will require the greatest leap for most entrepreneurs - expanding and delegating beyond yourself. Be realistic in what you can achieve with your current resources in time for the fair. You have scant time to look for more help if you need it so do it now. This forum would seem an ideal starting place if you do determine you need assistance. The talents here are tremendous as I am sure you already understand.

I am certain you will face all the challenges ahead admirably. Again, congratulations on this honor.

Tom

·
Registered
619 Posts
John,

Congratulations. What an honour. Its about time someone went and showed some of the 'big boys' how this thing is done RIGHT!

I might squeeze past the wife and kids long wnough to get over and see you, who knows!

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
John -

Fantastic news. I'll plan on stopping by.

And DO wear the Hawaiian togs: Bog knows that you see virtually nothing but suits, suits, suits in Basel, and that is one way to make sure that EVERYONE knows where the watches are from and that you are not afraid to be unconventional.

And that is NOT a bad thing. :)

Congratulations!

JohnF

1 - 20 of 34 Posts