WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of months ago I bought an Emergency Mission in the States for about $6,000, all-in. Today, I found a regular Emergency in Sydney. It was well over $7,500 USD. Anyone know why such a big price difference? Is it the weakness of the $$ or what, I couldn't believe it.

·
Breitling Forum Moderator
9,109 Posts
Hi GB,
Is that Sydney Australia? If so we have always paid a premium for imported delux items.
We simply don't have the market. Low volumes(relative to the States or Europe) tend to drive up the price. As for the $$ we are doing the best we have in years with the exchange rate at almost $0.90US to the OZ dollar. Not bad when you consider about a year ago it was like $0.70. However we buy Breitlings from the European market place. There the little ozzie battler buck has not been doing so well over the last year. So we are picking up some on the swing but loosing on the round about. Hence you would be in for a price shock if you expect to find parity pricing here. All of the above is off the top of my head and is in no way definitive or substantiated.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, I am in Sydney, Australia for a couple of weeks. EVERYTHING is so expensive. I can't believe it. I guess it is remote, but geeez. Oh well. It is stunning and the people are fantastic. Tons of great things to do and pubs everywhere.....Cheers!

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
A couple of months ago I bought an Emergency Mission in the States for about $6,000, all-in. Today, I found a regular Emergency in Sydney. It was well over $7,500 USD. Anyone know why such a big price difference? Is it the weakness of the $$ or what, I couldn't believe it.
(1) the weak USD. Prices in the US lag far behind the revailing FX rate, so for a while at least, you get the benefit. Bear in mind, of course, that relative earnings change with FX changes too, so the watch isn't any more or less expensive to a local buyer. Australian buyers, however, can arbitrage by buying in the cheaper market (assuming they can avoid distionary taxes on re-importing the watch into their home country).

(2) taxes. By "all-in", do you mean including state taxation? If so, what's the tax rate? Watches in Australia attract 10% goods and services tax and probably a luxury tax, too. Certainly, luxury items imported from Europe and the US tends to get really nailed over there (SUVs excepted).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts