WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The purpose of this question is not to start a war with women who seem to like wearing Panerai or other large watches. However, I recently was discussing with a couple of my friends the latest trend of woman wearing 40mm watches or larger. It seems that some people (myself included) feel that when some "celebrity" like Nicole Kidman dons a 44mm Panerai, it looks ridiculous. I would like to hear what some of you longtime Panerai wearers think about this. I understand that a person can wear whatever they want, but the question is: Do women look silly wearing a massive watch hanging on their wrist ?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Oh, please! What's so different between a woman wearing a large watch or a large bracelet! My wife has wrist jewelry that makes a 44mm Panerai look positively puny!

Watches are fashion and if you have any kind of an open mind you'll know there in fashion there are very few wrong answers! You can like something, you can hate something, but to say somebody is stupid because they choose to wear a large watch just shows a lack of security. Lighten up...it's just a watch!

BT

·
Registered
881 Posts
Honestly, I think a Panerai looks good on just about anybody - man or woman. It has a nice sense of substance & quality that gets noticed which is why a lot of people wear jewellery.
As Brad mentioned my wife also has bracelets/ bangles that are much bigger than any watch out there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, please! What's so different between a woman wearing a large watch or a large bracelet! My wife has wrist jewelry that makes a 44mm Panerai look positively puny!

Watches are fashion and if you have any kind of an open mind you'll know there in fashion there are very few wrong answers! You can like something, you can hate something, but to say somebody is stupid because they choose to wear a large watch just shows a lack of security. Lighten up...it's just a watch!

BT
Brad, I of course thought that my question might incite ranker from some members and I guess it did. Firstly, I never said that anybody was "stupid" for wearing a large watch, you used that word - I used the word ridiculous which although may be too strong, is not the same as stupid. I feel that over reacting to my question is showing more of a lack of security than my posing it. Your points are well taken and they speak for themselves without your becoming angry. I do think that the type of watch a person wears can convey a lifestyle, an attitude, reflect taste, or even serve a purpose in the case of a dive watch and this is especially true when the expenditure can be great. I also think that some fashion jewelry can make a person look "ridiculous" like maybe flavor flav wearing a clock around his neck. Now don't go off on me about equating flav with your wife because that is simply not what I have done. I am just making my point that there is a point where one person may think something looks "over the top" and another person may not feel that way. Fashion jewelry is also, if I am not mistaken, most often inexpensive for working class people whereas a Panerai is an investment in time - no? If a watch is only a watch...why would you spend so much time talking about it, or have a Forum such as this?

·
Registered
815 Posts
but the question is: Do women look silly wearing a massive watch hanging on their wrist ?
My answer to this question is no. :)

Women(and men) wear jewellery because they think it makes them look good, and therefore makes them feel good.

The jewellery is an expression of their personal tastes. And personal tastes vary - different horses for different courses, as they say. :)

Also, Panerai could be paying Nicole Kidman to wear their watches in public, which may be a good investment, if it marks the beginning of a trend.

Happy New Year to everybody! :-!

·
Registered
719 Posts
i personally think that women wearing large watches is sexy as hell!!!

The purpose of this question is not to start a war with women who seem to like wearing Panerai or other large watches. However, I recently was discussing with a couple of my friends the latest trend of woman wearing 40mm watches or larger. It seems that some people (myself included) feel that when some "celebrity" like Nicole Kidman dons a 44mm Panerai, it looks ridiculous. I would like to hear what some of you longtime Panerai wearers think about this. I understand that a person can wear whatever they want, but the question is: Do women look silly wearing a massive watch hanging on their wrist ?

·
Registered
44 Posts
It seems to me that it is truly a matter of personal preference. What may appeal to my senses may be distasteful to others. Or the otherway around.

The elegant simplicity of many Panerai's look good on wrists even as small as mine. Other, smaller watches with busy dials, overwhelm and look out of place. ... at least from my point of view :-d

One day I hope to put this theory to the test by owning a Panerai. Until then I'll just admire them from a distance.:-!

pastor_chuck

·
Registered
48 Posts
I agree with Hankr37!!! Big watches are sexy as hell on women. My wife is 5' and maybe 110lbs. I think my Panerai watches are sexy on her but she won't wear any of them. In fact she likes a simple Seiko the best over any other watch I've offerred her. I love her and respect her decision to wear what she wants. Just leaves more $$$ for my next Panerai!

·
Registered
455 Posts
I agree with Hankr37!!! Big watches are sexy as hell on women. My wife is 5' and maybe 110lbs. I think my Panerai watches are sexy on her but she won't wear any of them. In fact she likes a simple Seiko the best over any other watch I've offerred her. I love her and respect her decision to wear what she wants. Just leaves more $$$ for my next Panerai!

Hehe, my girl is like this too--5' 1 and 96 pounds, I personally think big watches are fine on women, but on my girl...I do not know man. But she is getting an AP Promesse as a present for her graduation in May....not a big one but this is what she likes.

·
Registered
719 Posts
smart woman, any ap is a wise choice. ap is another favorite brand of mine.

Hehe, my girl is like this too--5' 1 and 96 pounds, I personally think big watches are fine on women, but on my girl...I do not know man. But she is getting an AP Promesse as a present for her graduation in May....not a big one but this is what she likes.

·
Registered
455 Posts
smart woman, any ap is a wise choice. ap is another favorite brand of mine.
You have to give it to her, she has got a taste for it. Every time I am browsing watches on the net, or going through watch mags and ask her what does she like, she always points the lights of Pateks and Vacherons!!! lately she has been pushing me for something more dressy.....well, we will see:think:

·
Registered
719 Posts
big props to her once again. i'm also a huge fan of vc. i was just at a luncheon with vc at sotheby's in ny, not long ago. vc is a awesome watch as well. i have an overseas and it's one of my favorite watches. your a lucky guy, especially since she seems to really appreciate fine watches. hat's off to her.

You have to give it to her, she has got a taste for it. Every time I am browsing watches on the net, or going through watch mags and ask her what does she like, she always points the lights of Pateks and Vacherons!!! lately she has been pushing me for something more dressy.....well, we will see:think:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Do I look ridiculous and silly...? Do I? Do I??? Please be gentle, don't shatter my self-confidence... I have a fragile ego. ;-) :-d LOL, kidding!

This is quite subjective... All a matter of personal taste and perception.

BTW, I would hardly call statuesque Nicole little... I wouldn't ever want to be standing next to her, even with 3-inch heels on! :-d

·
Registered
867 Posts
Do I look ridiculous and silly...? Do I? Do I??? Please be gentle, don't shatter my self-confidence... I have a fragile ego. ;-) :-d LOL, kidding!
A beautiful woman in red. Sweet! ;-)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nope. In fact, you look stunning! Simply awesome in red.

This is quite subjective... All a matter of personal taste and perception.
Agree. It's just a matter of having the confidence to do it!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts