WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys -

I was staring out my back deck and having a beer and just generally enjoying the sun, when I got to thinking about watches. Not that this is particularly unusual (especially these days) but it occurred to me that my current largest watch is my Apollon at 45mm (and a portly 17mm fat).

Now, this is great, but it's hardly a BIG watch. And I got to thinking that there might actually be a WIS-approved role for a BIG watch in one's collection. Roles like (but not limited to):
-making a statement (especially if the statement is "I am wearing a big watch.")
-backup zombie apocalypse weapon (it's coming, you know it is)
-drinks with your entourage at a swanky Jersey nightclub (is there such a thing? TV leads me to believe otherwise)

Unfortunately, for reasons of good taste, very few of the watches we consider truly BIG are WIS-worthy. They tend to suffer with maladies like:

-gold-plate dermatitis

-excessively complicated dial lymphoma

-"holy-hell-there-are-unidentified-things-growing-out-of-my-limbs" (HHTAUTGOOML) syndrome

So what I want to see are what you would consider WIS-worthy watches of the large variety. To play, it must be:
-over 46mm in size
-in some way distinguished as WIS-worthy (value, unique design, interesting complications or specs, etc)
-able to wear a variety of straps with panache and aplomb
-something you would actually rock, given the chance
-and, of course, under the usual F71 auspices (let's call it <$1,000 today)

Have fun, and remember, F71 likes pictures!

(And take it all with a grain of organic certified gluten-free sea salt, because frankly, if any of you happens to like a particular watch, that makes it WIS-worthy in my eyes, and I honestly don't care one way or another what people think of my watches.)

·
Vendor
30,594 Posts
Casio AMW 320.

46mm.

$50.

An f71 favorite.

Every WIS should own one at some point. I've owned two, and did a giveaway with another.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Citizen Skyhawk. WIS approved tech goodness.

Vostok Europe Ekranoplan. Russian automatic movement... It doesn't get more WIS than that!

I don't have the exact measurements, but I know both are in the 46 to 48mm range.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Bulova's Precisionist Wilton should be on the list. Forty-five millimeters, yet gorgeous. And it fits under the cuffs of any well-tailored dress shirt.

Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist Material property

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Material property

Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery Photography

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Bulova's Precisionist Wilton should be on the list. Forty-five millimeters, yet gorgeous. And it fits under the cuffs of any well-tailored dress shirt.

View attachment 4176090
View attachment 4176098
View attachment 4176106
Bulova Precisionist Men&apos;s Quartz Watch 96B183 | eBay

And here it is for $219 on fleabay. Good price, I've seen this watch in the flesh, the second hand sweep is smooth as butter. It is a real eye catcher, alot of watch for $219. Certainly a step above your average quartz.

Reactions: pantagruel

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Product Fashion accessory

And is the hamilton khaki pilot at 46mm big enough to be in this thread?

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Omega proplof.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
For under a grand? Your search-fu must be off the charts.
Oh yeah, whoops. I just saw big and somehow missed the other requirements.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I was fortunate enough to luck into this Android Antiforce chronograph when it was on clearance this past winter.

I haven't gotten a chance to try this out on different straps yet (and I think it might help it's wearability to get it on something that's not quite so black) but I would say that a VK64 mecha-quartz movement for well under $100 shipped counts as extreme value.

I also have a Casio AMW-320, but that's already been mentioned. I would recommend both to anyone looking for a big watch, with the Casio being the more versatile (and more easily found) of the two.

Reactions: pantagruel

·
Registered
21,112 Posts
Some watches look really terrible when they are bigger than neccesary.

Reactions: Bodyblue
1 - 20 of 121 Posts