WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New to he forum and doing my first real investigation into buying a new watch. I am looking for a large watch, not so much to be fashionable but at 6' 7" tall 280 lbs, and with 9" wrists, a 43mm gets a bit lost.

I was already to buy one of 3 different Breitlings when I found this forum. I am quite fond of the Bentley sport models but not the pricing. I am not into brands, but would like something unique and statement making. (without being too in your face). Pricing would be sub $10k usd.

It seems to be hard to find info on anything but the biggest brands, any help would be appreciated.

Dave

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Pretty close to an IWC Big Pilot, you could pick up a mint example under budget:
http://www.chrono24.com/en/iwc/big-pilot--mod79.htm

There are a few companies making large pilot watches for significantly less money- Laco, Steinhart, Azimuth, Ball.

If you want a diver take a look at the Breiyling Avenger Seawolf (45mm but pretty massive in person and wears much larger than a 45mm Omega PO) or Kobold Large Soarway Diver. Another very cool option is UTS. Some of their deep divers are huge. I'm not sure how JLC Master Compressors wear in person, but my experience with 44mm internal bezel divers (Ball, Prometheus) is that they wear larger than their specs suggest. I know at least some of the JLCs are 46mm with internal bezels.

http://www.chrono24.com/en/jaegerlecoultre/master-compressor--mod144.htm

I really like Panerai styling but I'm not quite as sold on whether or not they should command their asking prices as I am with IWC and JLC. Just my opinion, of course.

·
Premium Member
66,518 Posts
The Oris ProDiver Chronograph is 51mm but wears a good deal smaller than that - It's still a lot of watch though.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I think the larger ball hydrocarbons would by a great fit. Definitely unique plus statement piece in both case design and tritium lume. Also the sheer width and height of the watch would fit your size

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
I'm 6'5" and have some pounds on you... I also have a 9" wrist... I'm happy to take wrist shots of any of the watches in my collection if that would help.

I can tell you I'm finding myself more and more comfortable wearing "smaller" watches in the 41-42mm range depending on how the watch itself is built. But there are plenty of 44mm+ watches to look through..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all, it took me a while to get back on here. Have been to Torneau a few times but haven't had much success with the one in San Francisco having much in the sizing that I am looking for.

It seems to easy to find the Breitling, Rolex, Omega type brands in stores, it is the other options that I have no idea they exist that might be the ticket.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i would go with the Navitimer. the new Navitimer 01 GMT seems very big on the wrist. i never thought id buy a Breitling till i strapped a Navitimer World(46mm) on my wrist and fell in love. The Navitimer 01 GMT seems alot larger that the Navitimer World if you want it bigger.

·
Registered
249 Posts
County Comm (.com) has the GMT and large pilot watches, both at 46mm. Rather large on me, and I'm about a 7.5". Several pics in the Military and Pilot sub-forums. Around $300, though on is on the sellers forum currently for $200 (not mine)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts