WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one who wishes Stowa would produce more watches with larger cases? I know they have a few models where they use the standard dial and put it into the 43 mm case like the flieger classic sport that I own as well as having several modern pilot and diver watches that are 42 mm and larger (that I also own) but I wish their chronographs and standard pilot watches were available in 42 mm sizes...or larger. And I mean larger dials not just a smaller dial in a larger case. I wouldn't mind seeing a slightly larger marine watch as well and I have no idea why the partitio is limited to 37 mm (other than historical accuracy, I guess).

Has anyone else wondered this or am I in the minority here? Laco and others offer several larger pilot watches but I would prefer to stay with Stowa.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
There are plenty of large watches to choose from. Stowa, to me, makes beautiful watches in the perfect sizes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
38,936 Posts
I agree. I am very happy with their size range as well.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Pssssssst! Haven't you heard the news? We are all wearing small watches now! 🙃

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well...so much for my opinion and hopes of support, lol.

I still think chronographs below 42mm are too small...at least for me. And I would love a larger dial flieger in the 43-44mm range. I seem to be in the minority though, lol.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I agree, and this held me back from getting a flieger from them. The 40mm would be too small, but the 43mm the proportions just look off to me. Due to the small dial, the cone-like shape that they used for the bezel just looks weird to me from certain angles. I guess it doesn't help that I can't see it in person before buying.
Also the 24mm strap width seems like a poor decision to me.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So just as a general response to some of the more recent comments, I already have the TO1, and Flieger Klassik Sport. Mike mentioned the GMT and DIN... I'm not really into GMT watches but I have looked at the DIN and thought of getting that several times but since I already have the TO1, they are too similar. And those are BIG watches. The standard TO2 is still an option as I love that watch but that's about it for me with Stowa.

Yes, I've looked at Lacos (and Steinhart) several times and I like their watches but I was hoping for another Stowa.

Look, I already own four Stowa watches so it's not like I'm coming up short in their offering. I was just saying that in general, and especially with their chronos, I wish they were available in just slightly bigger sizes. I love the original Stowa flieger Chrono and I probably should have picked one up when they had it in the 43 mm size.

I'm also not stuck on Stowa watches as I was looking at Damasko pretty hard but their watches are all on the small side for me.

And totally off my original topic but I guess I'll also wish that Stowa would come up with some new models more often (as opposed to variations on existing models) sort of like Sinn but I guess that's probably not going to happen as they're much a much smaller company.

I agree, and this held me back from getting a flieger from them. The 40mm would be too small, but the 43mm the proportions just look off to me. Due to the small dial, the cone-like shape that they used for the bezel just looks weird to me from certain angles. I guess it doesn't help that I can't see it in person before buying.
Also the 24mm strap width seems like a poor decision to me.
I bought the flieger classic sport before I knew much about flieger watches but I've never regretted buying that one. In person it looks really very nice which is why I also like the TO2. I don't think the bezel looks funny in person at all and the 24 millimeter lug width has never been an issue for me.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Am I the only one who wishes Stowa would produce more watches with larger cases? I know they have a few models where they use the standard dial and put it into the 43 mm case like the flieger classic sport that I own as well as having several modern pilot and diver watches that are 42 mm and larger (that I also own) but I wish their chronographs and standard pilot watches were available in 42 mm sizes...or larger. And I mean larger dials not just a smaller dial in a larger case. I wouldn't mind seeing a slightly larger marine watch as well and I have no idea why the partitio is limited to 37 mm (other than historical accuracy, I guess).

Has anyone else wondered this or am I in the minority here? Laco and others offer several larger pilot watches but I would prefer to stay with Stowa.
I agree in part. I would love to see a 44mm Prodiver.

I feel the same way about Christopher Ward. If their Sapphire was 43mm, or even 42mm, instead of 40mm I’d own at least one.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Well...so much for my opinion and hopes of support, lol.

I still think chronographs below 42mm are too small...at least for me. And I would love a larger dial flieger in the 43-44mm range. I seem to be in the minority though, lol.
Check out Tourbey watches. They have pilots in 43-45mm. Pretty cool watches but too big for me. I like 40-41mm but, I have 7" wrists

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
336 Posts
Small watches are making a comeback. But I’m a larger wrist, 8-8.25” and flat, so most 43 and 44mm watches proportionally are the same as 40-41mm on smaller wrists. I definitely feel the pain as everything shrinks back down.
I am just tired of all the whining about how every cool new watch over 40mm in diameter is too big. Let your money do the talking.

I'm not lining up to buy 47mm behemoths, either, but I don't want to see a return to 36-38mm being the upper limit of what most manufacturers produce for gents watches. I'm 20cm taller and 23kg heavier than my grandfathers; I can carry off a 41 or 42mm watch quite well, and I have a couple of larger pieces with short lugs that I like for their legibility and wrist presence : ) I just hope there continues to be a variety of sizes available, fashion be damned.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've noticed most of the recent discussions on this forum have been about 36mm watches. There is definitely a trend toward the smaller end. When I first bought my flieger I was disappointed and really regretted the 40mm size as being too small for me. I got it because there was no attainable larger option with a central seconds hand. Since that time, however, my tastes have changed enough where it is the largest watch that I currently own other than a G-Shock. The size is absolutely perfect for my 7" wrist.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've noticed most of the recent discussions on this forum have been about 36mm watches. There is definitely a trend toward the smaller end. When I first bought my flieger I was disappointed and really regretted the 40mm size as being too small for me. I got it because there was no attainable larger option with a central seconds hand. Since that time, however, my tastes have changed enough where it is the largest watch that I currently own other than a G-Shock. The size is absolutely perfect for my 7" wrist.

Like Paddy said, I'm not looking for 45mm watches to be the norm but I'm not thrilled either with the downsizing trend...especially in chronographs. Some "smaller" watches like my 41mm Antea wear much bigger than some of my 42mm and 43mm watches but pilot watches were historically very large so I'm not a fan of small ones. Other than the Antea, the absolute bottom size limit for me is about 42mm and I prefer chronos and pilot watches in the 43-44mm range and even 45mm, like my TO1...that's about the max size I could pull off though. I don't need another flieger but if I did, the Stowa 40mm would be just too small for me. But I'm 6'-3", weigh 250 lbs. and have a 7.25" wrist. I don't want a boulder on my wrist but 40mm doesn't have enough presence for me.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Most coworkers, for example, do not even recognize a quartz versus a mechanical. I highly doubt they care about the size of watches around the table either. It should always be what the watch owner prefers when they wake up in the morning. I adored the simplistic Damasko DS30 but it was just too unisex for me (I think 39mm) and some reviews of the watch even referred to it as being unisex. If it had been a 42mm, it'd had me for life. When I hear of the idea of a 36mm men's watch gaining traction I cringe. But it's always a personal feel/choice/opinion.

Also, I see a lot of people wearing digital smart watches that are not exactly following the supposed trend of smaller watches being in "style".

1 - 20 of 33 Posts