WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I'm no watch collector, and my current daily watch is an Orient WV2271EM (more about it here: https://www.watchuseek.com/f410/new-jdm-orient-wv2271em-[-running-fast-]-850278.html ). But as an engineer (M.Sc. Mechanical engineering) I'm drawn to all mechanical things that are well thought of, well built and have history behind them. The Spring Drive to me tics all the right boxes and now after seeing an SD Ananta live, I know my next watch will be a SD. There's also a novelty aspect of owning a SD Seiko in Finland where I live - those are super rare here and they don't get as much attention as some well known Swiss-brands in the same price category. It takes another enthusiast to appreciate these watches, which I like.

Also, it just so happens I'll be travelling to Japan next April so it might be a good idea to get one as a souvenir from there..

A few things make me still a bit iffy on pulling the trigger, and here's where I'll need some support/opinions from more experienced watch enthusiasts here. First off a few things about me and what sort of attributes I look for in a watch:
  • The watch will be a daily wearer, so it needs to be durable and look the part in a variety of situations
  • I work as a project engineer and mainly wear "smart casual"-clothes to work, a bit more "workwearish" outfits off work and very rarely suit up.
  • My hobbies are motorcycling, travelling, fishing and boating on summers and all sorts of mechanical tinkering (obviously I'll take the watch off when doing some serious car or motorcycle maintenance)
  • I do swim and snorkel on my trips (3-4 trips a year), but don't have diving experience. However the appearance of a diver does appeal to me.
  • My wrist size is about 18 cm (7")
As this is my first over 250USD watch, you can imagine I'm a bit scared of diving straight into the 2000+USD price range. My budget limits most of the Grand Seikos out of my reach and here are the models I'm interested in and what are the main things I like and dislike about them. I'll leave these attributes off the list since they apply to all of them: Pros: Spring drive, lightweight titanium construction, very legible, awesome lume and sapphire crystal.

Seiko Prospex 600 SBDB001:
sbdb001-b.jpg
Pros:
  • A tool watch that is still wearable with more dressier environments
  • Working Bezel
  • GMT-hand
  • Actually waterproof (600m - dude!)
Cons:
  • Case is a whopping 17mm thick!
  • Still heavy at 174g
  • Don't like the hex-bolt things at the centre of the lugs - might limit strap selection.

Seiko Marinemaster 600m "Tuna" SBDB009:
sbdb009-b.jpg
Pros:
  • A full blood tool watch and looking menacing as ever!
  • Working bezel
  • Actually waterproof (600m)
  • Lug-to-lug distance minimised and probably sits lower on the wrist as a result
  • Can work with a variety of straps
  • Lightweight despite large case (125g) - thanks to the rubber strap?
Cons:
  • Case is still high @ 16,2mm
  • Overall case diameter is huge at almost 50mm
  • Might not go well under a cuff of a dress shirt
  • Might look too "technical" with more dressier outfits

Seiko Prospex Landmaster SDBD005:
sbdb005-b.jpg
Pros:
  • Largest and most legible display of the three
  • GMT-hand
  • Case manageable low at 14,2mm
  • Most at home with dressier outfits of the three
  • Probably works with a variety of straps
  • Moderately lightweight at 140g
  • The bullhead crown
Cons:
  • The bullhead crown (can't make up my mind about this one)
  • "Only" 10bar water resistant
  • No working bezel to play with :-(

So there you go. Which one would YOU suggest to be the best fit for me - or do you think none of the above will work as a daily wearer?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Very well posed question, and awesome selections.

All of these SDs are very appealing to me too. I'm living in Japan and recently tried both the MM600 and SD Landmaster (could have tried the 600M tuna on too, but I'm just not into all black watches).

If it were me in your shoes, I'd be going for the Landmaster. The MM600 is, IMO, just too big and refuses to hug the wrist. There are many who love the MM600, but I could never get along with it. I had never really looked at the Landmaster before, but it caught my eye at the store. Took a chance and tried it on and was very pleasantly surprised. Light, not too thick (or too thin) and not too big either. Felt great on my 7.5 inch wrists. The sapphire crystal and clear coat is great and the dial is amazingly legible. It is, indeed, a bit of an odd design that, as you noted, is difficult to decide on. All I can say is that it looks great in person and is really growing on me, to the extent that I'm now torn between the MM300 and the SD Landmaster.

Definitely give it a try when you're here!

Looking forward to what others have to say on this thread!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Actually a Grand Seiko is not too far off from the SBDB001 (MM600). I was quoted close to $4k for the MM600 and slightly below $5k for the SBGE001 and SBGA029. Both GS have lower height than the MM600 and SD Tuna, and you get rotating bezel on both GS as well.

However do note that GS are more of the dress-watch category, they are highly polished on the watch case and the bracelet so they tend to get scratches pretty easily when you are not careful. The MM600 and SD Tuna are more rugged in that sense.

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
Don't worry about the thickness, you'll soon forget about it.
I have a DSSD and that's 18mm thick, it's pretty much my daily wearer.
Well, when I'm not wearing my PO or GS, that is!

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
:-! That's a SUPERB Spring Drive collection you got there!
Love the simplicity and minimalism, too bad Seiko doesn't make them anymore.

·
Premium Member
71,508 Posts
As a diver fan it stands to reason that I would recommend either the MM600 or the Tuna 600 and even though the Tuna is lighter etc. I'd still go with the MM600.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
If it were me in your shoes, I'd be going for the Landmaster. The MM600 is, IMO, just too big and refuses to hug the wrist. There are many who love the MM600, but I could never get along with it. I had never really looked at the Landmaster before, but it caught my eye at the store. Took a chance and tried it on and was very pleasantly surprised. Light, not too thick (or too thin) and not too big either. Felt great on my 7.5 inch wrists. The sapphire crystal and clear coat is great and the dial is amazingly legible. It is, indeed, a bit of an odd design that, as you noted, is difficult to decide on. All I can say is that it looks great in person and is really growing on me, to the extent that I'm now torn between the MM300 and the SD Landmaster.
Thank you all for the replys. I'm also leaning towards either the SBDB001 or the SBDB005. The Tuna is a bit too much out of my comfort zone, a great diver for sure but not for me.

Based on looks alone, I'd go for the SBDB001 since it's more like a "Classic dressy diver", the Landmaster is more modern and remains to be seen how long it'll look classy. I will try on both watches in Japan before I make up my mind since this is my first leap into higher price range. And the size and wristfeel are very personal and subjective things.

As for the Grand Seikos, they really are out of the question - for now. The SBGA031 is my current grail (maybe one day), but for now, I may haveto sell a kidney to afford even the entry level SD's (and still sneak it through customs)..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for the replys. I'm also leaning towards either the SBDB001 or the SBDB005. Based on looks alone, I'd go for the SBDB001 since it's more like a "Classic dressy diver", the Landmaster is more modern and remains to be seen how long it'll look classy.
Here's a really good real-life comparison photo of the two, posted earlier here on WUS by another member:
20121130_125848.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
see what you like
Duuuuuuude! That's one amazing bunch of watches! The GS is the best looking, hands down, but as I've said before, it's beyond my price range.

Looking at your wristpics, I'm kinda leaning towards the Landmaster.. It's definately growing on me.

·
Registered
14,456 Posts
Duuuuuuude! That's one amazing bunch of watches! The GS is the best looking, hands down, but as I've said before, it's beyond my price range.

Looking at your wristpics, I'm kinda leaning towards the Landmaster.. It's definately growing on me.
The Landmaster is a killer watch. The only reason that it doesn't work for me is that I rotate so many watches and you have to flip the hour hand through 24 hours to increment the date. It gets old if you're, say, 20 days behind every time you pic it up.

Other than that, the pros outweigh the cons. Fantastic watch.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If this is your only watch, get the Landmaster. It's an elegant and unique design. I sold mine off to help finance an SBGE001, however.

Otherwise get the Tuna. Best casual/ops watch, ever. Very comfortable on the wrist.

600:1.jpg

1 - 20 of 31 Posts