WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started collecting four years ago when my dad mainlined the sickness into my life by giving me his Coke GMT Master. Since then, I’ve been on the hunt for that ideal 3-4 watch collection. I instantly gravitated to divers, but flipped so many of them that nothing really stuck. My wife got me a Speedy as a new job present, so that’ll be a piece that I wear until I’m in the ground.

Out of nowhere, though, came a piece that I never really considered: the Black Bay 36. It came today and I’m in love. Yes, the size isn’t for everyone, but the watch is just pure sex. The ultimate go anywhere, do anything watch. It scratches the Explorer itch for under 2k (lightly used). Cannot recommend it enough.

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Didn’t think I’d like the size at first; I was also looking at the 41 and Ranger. But, I tried on the 36 in the store, and despite the large watch trend, everything about the 36?just works. It also doesn’t wear like it’s 36mm; it has a good wrist presence.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Nice watch... Enjoy!

I also checked out the BB36 at the store recently and must say... Impressed. I had an itch for a Rolex OP36 however I'm second guessing that now. The Tudor is half the price new.

Only thing I'd like to see in the future is them updating the movements to the in-house MT movements. Don't know what that would do to the price though.

·
Registered
20,935 Posts
Looks great and the size works for you. I've got a Ranger myself, which is my "Hey, this is actually more Explorer than the Explorer, hmm" watch. But the BB36 is a wonderful piece.

And if you need to get rid of patient zero for your sickness, I will gladly take your Coke bezel GMT off your hands and quarantine it for you.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
While I would normally expect an in-house movement for this kind of a purchase, I’m fine with having one watch that has a movement that could be serviced by any good watchmaker.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Really love these watches, but the lack of AR coating is dumbfounding. Price is also pushing the limits for a non-COSC 2824. Wish it had a 2892 at this price. At least Tudor does some modification to the movement rather than just dropping in an off-the-rack 2824. Hopefully it will get the smaller manufacture movement from the BB58 soon.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Was out today in very bright conditions and the lack of AR didn’t produce any weird perspectives.

When it comes to AR, the bluish glare associated with some coatings annoys me more than anything else.

·
Banned
7,741 Posts
While I would normally expect an in-house movement for this kind of a purchase, I’m fine with having one watch that has a movement that could be serviced by any good watchmaker.
You expect an in house movement in a watch that’s $2000? So your choices are Nomos, and well Nomos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
956 Posts
Congrats on your BB36! My wife and I saw one in person recently and low and behold she liked it. This will make her future present easier to pick out.

·
Banned
7,741 Posts
Closer to 2.5-3K. And you've also got Christopher Ward, Damasko, Eterna, Zodiac, and Weiss with in-house at that price point or lower.

Might want to do some fact checking on that. The Weiss isn’t in house, it’s a caliber 39 base. Damasko doesn’t offer their in house under 3k if I recall. Eterna and Zodiac I’m not sure as I’m not to familiar with what they offer.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts