WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm looking for advice and/or opinions to help me choose my first luxury watch.

I've found these two somewhat polar opposite watches for basically the same price from a pre-owned dealer. I understand the vast difference between a time-only watch like the BB41 and the complicated Breitling Avenger GMT. They both speak to me for opposite reasons, as I like the versatility that the BB41 offers. And being an ex-pat far from my home country, I of course appreciate the GMT. Both have an ETA or ETA based movement that I believe will be cheap to service. Also, the specs and size of the two are both great for me and my wrist.

I'm just hoping to hear from people who have owned and experienced one or both of these watches to hear any thoughts or reviews about them. I know these things can come down to subjective taste 馃槄
I've attached pictures of the models. Thank you very much in advance for any feedback. Cheers!
Watch Analog watch Product Clock Watch accessory
Watch Analog watch Clock Rectangle Watch accessory

Registered
I don鈥檛 know much about these two but I will say between those two, the Tudor is what I鈥檇 get 100%. Let us know what you decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
I like the BB36, it's a lovely design, but the Breitling is also classy, just in a different way, I imagine it's of comparable build quality, and I personally couldn't turn down the functionality of a date, a GMT hand, and a rotating bezel.

Premium Member
For me it would be an easy choice. But it is You, not me that will be wearing said Watch. Both are great Watches, so it really comes down to what you want the Watch to do for you. Both should put a nice smile on your face. What are really wanting in this purchase? Vance.

Reactions: scbkk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like both. The Tudor is low-key, vanilla, and ultimately versatile. But I'd wear the Avenger as it's a whole lot more fun.
Yea this is kinda what I'm stuck on 馃槄 go for the sure bet that is well done, no-nonsense, or go with over the top (in a good way) in design and uses. I appreciate both of these styles and it might just come down to hearing from some owners of the pieces. Looked at the available reviews online but would love to hear more.

Thanks for the reply btw (y)

Registered
The Breitling has an outdated look. Namely in the Bezel and dial markings.
From those I prefer the Tudor.

Registered
If you change your mind, you could probably resell the Tudor without too much trouble.

The Brietling on the other hand ...

Registered
I own the Breitling. I got it because I wanted a bold-ish (ie classy but not conservative) GMT, and I really couldn't find anything else regardless of price that matched what I wanted. It's a great watch for the right type of person :)

Pros:
  • Functional - tracks 3 time zones, 300m
  • Thin
  • Great lume
  • Very wearable for being a large watch - bracelet is very comfortable, female endlinks, and the bracelet links fold in on themselves
  • It's a "bold" look - large-ish watch with mostly polished surfaces
  • Looks good on a leather strap too

Cons:
  • Scratch magnet
  • No tool-less adjustable clasp
  • It's a bigger watch - fits my 7.25" wrist, but just barely
Pics below.

Watch Analog watch Clock Silver Watch accessory

Watch Hand Analog watch Arm Clock

Registered
Breitling and that is from experience. Both wear large but the Breitling offers so much more and is built like a tank. good luck on your decision.

Premium Member
I'd look for that Breitling,....... gently used.

Reactions: scbkk

Registered
To me it would all depend on what else I have in my collection. If it will be my only watch or the watch I plan to wear every day then I would pick the Tudor. If it was a watch that would be part of a larger rotation then I would go with the Breitling.

Registered
The slanted links on the Breitling are a deal-killer for me, so I would have to go with the Tudor. I'm probably biased, since I already own the BB36. :)

Premium Member
Hello, I'm looking for advice and/or opinions to help me choose my first luxury watch.

I've found these two somewhat polar opposite watches for basically the same price from a pre-owned dealer. I understand the vast difference between a time-only watch like the BB41 and the complicated Breitling Avenger GMT. They both speak to me for opposite reasons, as I like the versatility that the BB41 offers. And being an ex-pat far from my home country, I of course appreciate the GMT. Both have an ETA or ETA based movement that I believe will be cheap to service. Also, the specs and size of the two are both great for me and my wrist.

I'm just hoping to hear from people who have owned and experienced one or both of these watches to hear any thoughts or reviews about them. I know these things can come down to subjective taste 馃槄
I've attached pictures of the models. Thank you very much in advance for any feedback. Cheers!
View attachment 16177891 View attachment 16177892
The BB41 looks so "understated" that it's practically invisible. Not so with the functionality and appearance of the Brietling. That said, the light hands against the light background may make it harder to read.

Registered
Between these two, for me I would pick the Black Bay. I've learned that white or silver dial and polished hands is a combination that is very hard to read - just not enough contrast.

That said, if it was the black dialed Breitling that danx posted, I'd have a much harder time picking between the two. The Tudor is very straightforward but classy, plus the snowflake hands - I'm a fan of those. The Breiting has a unique look to itself - I love the contrast of the brushed outer bezel and the inner polished ring. Especially the second picture shows how that polished bezel ring and the polished hands glint at the same time. I had a quartz Breitling Colt for a while and that was my favorite aspect of that watch.

Either is a great watch, just a question of which you like better.

Registered
If it's black dial vs. black dial, I would say the Breitling. Something about the black dial makes the touches of red really pop. The Tudor is a pretty watch in person, but the Avenger II is on a short list for me (in the black dial). I'm not a bracelet guy so the bracelet/link style doesn't bother me and the watch looks great to me on a nice rubber strap. I've always liked the look of the rider tabs/bezel which gives off a tougher/durable vibe.

Both are good looking and I think both can be versatile.

Registered
Both should put a nice smile on your face.
And the Tudor already has a nice smile on its face鈥

Personally, I like the looks of the Breitling better, but it鈥檚 big - too big for me. I don鈥檛 have that model, but the Breitling that I own performs well. If it matters, the Breitling is also a COSC watch. Good luck with your choice!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts