WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Which Tudor: Black Bay 58 vs Pelagos vs Black Bay Chrono?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For Father's day this year my wife wants to get me a watch. I am trying to decide between the Black Bay 58, Pelagos, or the Black Bay Chrono. Which would you choose?

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
What's your use case?
  • If all you're looking for is another watch to add to collection, pick what speaks to you.
  • If you're looking for an everyday watch: BB58
  • If you're looking for something tough to wear diving, hiking, skiing, etc.: Pelagos
  • The chrono... I'm not sold despite the recent rabid popularity. I think the design is a bit of a dog's breakfast.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Of those three the Pelagos Is my personal favourite, but it really depends on what else is in your watch box and what gap you're trying to fill. I had a BB58 and it was a little small for my tastes, although I did really like how thin it was. The chrono just seems like a me-too effort from Tudor, there are more interesting/innovative/significant chronographs out there.

The Pelagos is truly class leading in its own way. It keeps the DNA of the original Tudor submariners, with the snowflake hands and dial but it updates it with thoroughly modern tech. The bracelet is incredibly well executed, the ti-case and matt ceramic bezel are unique in the Tudor line up. It's a pure tool watch, probably the best example of a mass produced mechanical tool watch produced this century.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
What's your use case?
  • If all you're looking for is another watch to add to collection, pick what speaks to you.
  • If you're looking for an everyday watch: BB58
  • If you're looking for something tough to wear diving, hiking, skiing, etc.: Pelagos
  • The chrono... I'm not sold despite the recent rabid popularity. I think the design is a bit of a dog's breakfast.
Great question. Mostly work, church, gym and I coach my kids baseball teams.

As for your first bullet point I like all three, I think I'll ask for all 3 😊.

I've been leaning towards the blue Pelagos and wear it with the rubber strap because I coach my son's baseball team and I feel like it's a watch I could where for that.

I do like the Panda Chrono and it is a piece I'd like to add to my collection.

I also like the BB58 925. I'm not sure if that's just because all the hype and it's new...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The one you want?

Me personally would pick the BB58 either in black or blue.

Nothing wrong with the other options mind you. The Pelagos overhangs my wrist and I already have a Tudor chronograph.

Both look sharp!

I'm really torn on all three. I like the blackface 58 because I feel like it's the quintessential Tudor.

Especially like the Pelagos with the blue rubber strap and I could see myself wearing that coaching baseball and biking etc...

And I love the Panda Chrono.

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Great question. Mostly work, church, gym and I coach my kids baseball teams.

As for your first bullet point I like all three, I think I'll ask for all 3 😊.

I've been leaning towards the blue Palagos and wear it with the rubber strap because I coach my son's baseball team and I feel like it's a watch I could where for that.

I do like the Panda Chrono and it is a piece I'd like to add to my collection.

I also like the BB58 925. I'm not sure if that's just because all the hype and it's new...
We all have different tolerances re: watch size. My wrist is nearly 8 inches but I find the Pelagos a bit bulky for casual, everyday wear. That being said, I absolutely love it as an outdoor beater. On rubber or nylon, it's one of my gotos for hikes, climbs, fishing and that sort of thing.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Of those three the Pelagos Is my personal favourite, but it really depends on what else is in your watch box and what gap you're trying to fill. I had a BB58 and it was a little small for my tastes, although I did really like how thin it was. The chrono just seems like a me-too effort from Tudor, there are more interesting/innovative/significant chronographs out there.

The Pelagos is truly class leading in its own way. It keeps the DNA of the original Tudor submariners, with the snowflake hands and dial but it updates it with thoroughly modern tech. The bracelet is incredibly well executed, the ti-case and matt ceramic bezel are unique in the Tudor line up. It's a pure tool watch, probably the best example of a mass produced mechanical tool watch produced this century.
Great insights thank you for your comments. Right now I have a Nomos Tangente 38, two Seiko Turtles, A Hamilton Pilot Khaki Automatic, a Hamilton Navy Khaki Pioneer, and lastly I recently purchased a Reverso Tribute Small Seconds which I have not received yet.

I feel like the Seiko's I bought because I was going on a trip and I wanted to dive watch and that's what I could afford at the time. They are not my favorite although I love them when I wear them. I wouldn't have a problem replacing them with the Pelagos.

PXL_20210511_140718370.jpg PXL_20210518_160352186.jpg PXL_20210516_170612134.jpg PXL_20210515_145243104.jpg PXL_20210514_053253644.jpg

·
Registered
650 Posts
Great insights thank you for your comments. Right now I have a Nomos Tangente 38, two Seiko Turtles, A Hamilton Pilot Khaki Automatic, a Hamilton Navy Khaki Pioneer, and lastly I recently purchased a Reverso Tribute Small Seconds which I have not received yet.

I feel like the Seiko's I bought because I was going on a trip and I wanted to dive watch and that's what I could afford at the time. They are not my favorite although I love them when I wear them. I wouldn't have a problem replacing them with the Pelagos.

View attachment 15890299 View attachment 15890300 View attachment 15890302 View attachment 15890303 View attachment 15890305
That's a great collection. Congratulations on the new JLC, it's a fantastic watch!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Id get the new BB chrono. The case is now slimmer and it also has a 20 Bar water resistance, so has can keep up with the other two. But you can't go wrong with any one of them, all fantastic choices

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's a great collection. Congratulations on the new JLC, it's a fantastic watch!
Thank you! I feel it's a little green, meaning mostly entry level pieces. The Reverso is my first truly high-end watch purchase (at least for my budget). Although I have not received it from jlc yet. I can't wait to receive it!

·
Premium Member
Rolex 116618LN, Rolex MG, Rolex DSSD, Rolex SD43, PAM176, PAM1305, Omega PloProf, SeaMaster300,
751 Posts
I like the Pelagos...

·
Registered
650 Posts
Thank you! I feel it's a little green, meaning mostly entry level pieces. The Reverso is my first truly high-end watch purchase (at least for my budget). Although I have not received it from jlc yet. I can't wait to receive it!
I have a TT1931 reverso, one of the original black ones from about ten years ago. It was like a gateway drug for me, totally changed my watch box.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a TT1931 reverso, one of the original black ones from about ten years ago. It was like a gateway drug for me, totally changed my watch box.
That's a stunning piece sir! You'll have to share a picture. They're not very many Tributes to 1931 available online right now.

·
Premium Member
Rolex 116618LN, Rolex MG, Rolex DSSD, Rolex SD43, PAM176, PAM1305, Omega PloProf, SeaMaster300,
751 Posts
I had the chrono in SS but traded it for the TT...

Reactions: Silvek
1 - 20 of 75 Posts