WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Which Tudor: Black Bay 58 vs Pelagos vs Black Bay Chrono?

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
That's awesome! I think that makes me ~10 years older than you. I had a similar trajectory, having to wait until it wasn't financially irresponsible to buy the kinds of watches I really like and admire.

One of my hard-earned lessons has been to be really selective about what I want and what I don't. It was a lot of fun going through different watches and arriving at what I think are mature tastes (not mature as in grown-up, but mature as in I've had time for my personal tastes and priorities to become clearer to me). Now that I've done that, I'm over flipping and I'm really selective about new additions.
I hear you. I feel like I have "settled" for some of the watches in my collection either because I was impatient and naive about watches or I did not have the money I needed for a mature decision, which is stupid because if I had been patient and saved the money I could have purchased higher caliber watches. I guess it's "live and learn". I am now planning on upgrading the watches I have by flipping them and replacing them with a higher tier.

Question (and maybe this is another thread): Do you keep a list of watches and add to it as you see something you like or purchase a watch as you see fit? (Here's mine, I have not updated it for a couple of months, there are a few I would change/update)

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Skyler Malley,
No such thing as a dumb honest question. That is a question though only you can answer. both companies make nice Chronographs! Vance.

Reactions: Skyler Malley

·
Registered
650 Posts
I hear you. I feel like I have "settled" for some of the watches in my collection either because I was impatient and naive about watches or I did not have the money I needed for a mature decision, which is stupid because if I had been patient and saved the money I could have purchased higher caliber watches. I guess it's "live and learn". I am now planning on upgrading the watches I have by flipping them and replacing them with a higher tier.

Question (and maybe this is another thread): Do you keep a list of watches and add to it as you see something you like or purchase a watch as you see fit? (Here's mine, I have not updated it for a couple of months, there are a few I would change/update)
View attachment 15891659
That's a really good list. We have pretty similar tastes. So, this post may reveal the depth of my undiagnosed (but recognized by my wife) OCD. I stick to criteria because it leaves some flexibility for new releases. I have a couple of Dunhill boxes that give me space for 7 watches, and I'm really trying to keep to that number. It forces a little more discipline and helps me to make sure that each watch will get a fair bit of wrist time. All of the watches need to be a different category by my fluid definition. So I have a couple of dress watches, one on brown leather and one on black leather. Those slots are filled by the Reverso, and a Santos Dumont Xl that's on its way.

The other box has space for five watches, and it's for sportier/every day watches. Right now three of those slots are filled with a Speedmaster Pro, a Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe, and an El Primero with a white lacquer dial. They're all different (manual chrono, auto chrono, diver) and they all look distinctly different. The last two slots are a little up in the air. I had an Explorer, but got rid of it for a few reasons, the 904l had a little too much nickel for me, it would make my wrist itchy.

I'd really like to get something to replace the explorer as a simple field or pilots watch. I'd also really like to get something with IWC's peloton winding system. I've got lots of time to think about that though. Ideally Tudor would release a Ranger in the 40mm range with an in-house movement and fitted end links, and IWC would put their 82000 movement in a white Genta styled Ingenieur. Neither of those watches are currently available, but I live in hope.

My criteria are:
1. Interesting history to the brand or model, preferably both
2. Something mechanically innovative or unique about the watch or movement, preferably both
3. Low key/under the radar
4. No precious metals
5. With the exception of the two dress watches, they need to have a bracelet and an OEM deployant option
6. I have to like it for a year before I buy it

The list has helped me to focus on having watches that I really, really like, and not so many watches that are still nice, but not special to me. The list has also forced some pretty hard choices, but creating a little bit of scarcity helps me to enjoy the hobby a little more.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
I like watches sans date.
BB 58 gets my vote; my reason being as the dial is balanced and less busy than the others.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My wrist is about 7.75", I think wiall the feedback and I am leaning towards the Pelagos for my Fathers day watch. Is that the Pelagos in the background of the picture? Thanks for sharing!
At 7.75 the Pelagos will fit perfectly. In the background is my blue TAG Carrera day date. It’s 41mm. Can one have 3 nice blue watches? Asking for myself… serious about the green comment above though, I’d be all in.
It’s just amazing how light the Pelagos feels when you see the size. I think it’s lighter than both of these. You’ll love it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
A lot of the people here who have posted that they own the Pelagos have mentioned that they have larger wrists. Does anyone who has a smaller wrist size own the Pelagos or have tried it on? I think it is an incredible watch, but fear my 6.25-6.5ish wrist may just be too small for it. Anyone have any insight?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
That's a really good list. We have pretty similar tastes. So, this post may reveal the depth of my undiagnosed (but recognized by my wife) OCD. I stick to criteria because it leaves some flexibility for new releases. I have a couple of Dunhill boxes that give me space for 7 watches, and I'm really trying to keep to that number. It forces a little more discipline and helps me to make sure that each watch will get a fair bit of wrist time. All of the watches need to be a different category by my fluid definition. So I have a couple of dress watches, one on brown leather and one on black leather. Those slots are filled by the Reverso, and a Santos Dumont Xl that's on its way.

The other box has space for five watches, and it's for sportier/every day watches. Right now three of those slots are filled with a Speedmaster Pro, a Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe, and an El Primero with a white lacquer dial. They're all different (manual chrono, auto chrono, diver) and they all look distinctly different. The last two slots are a little up in the air. I had an Explorer, but got rid of it for a few reasons, the 904l had a little too much nickel for me, it would make my wrist itchy.

I'd really like to get something to replace the explorer as a simple field or pilots watch. I'd also really like to get something with IWC's peloton winding system. I've got lots of time to think about that though. Ideally Tudor would release a Ranger in the 40mm range with an in-house movement and fitted end links, and IWC would put their 82000 movement in a white Genta styled Ingenieur. Neither of those watches are currently available, but I live in hope.

My criteria are:
1. Interesting history to the brand or model, preferably both
2. Something mechanically innovative or unique about the watch or movement, preferably both
3. Low key/under the radar
4. No precious metals
5. With the exception of the two dress watches, they need to have a bracelet and an OEM deployant option
6. I have to like it for a year before I buy it

The list has helped me to focus on having watches that I really, really like, and not so many watches that are still nice, but not special to me. The list has also forced some pretty hard choices, but creating a little bit of scarcity helps me to enjoy the hobby a little more.
I hate to admit this but I think your watch boxes are cooler than some of my watches.

I love the criteria you use! I think I will adopt this list as my own. I will say in regards to #5 I think almost every watch needs a nice leather strap. I feel the leather adds something to the watch that makes it unique.

I have a confession I do love IWC watches. I have wanted this watch for a long time: Portofino Hand-Wound Eight Days IW510106 | IWC I have shied away from IWC because in some of the categories IWC occupies there is a more significant brand or relevant watch that overshadows it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Given your existing collection, I think they Chrono would fill a niche, whereas you have divers and casual covered.
I think you are right I need to add a Chrono. However, to complicate this, I think I want to flip my Seikos and get the Pelagoes to replace them and then get the Speedy '57 Broad Arrow for my first Chrono.

I might get slain for this I am not in love with Seikos, I bought these because I wanted, rather NEEDED a dive watch for a vacation my wife and I took. I spent all my money on the vacation, not the watch :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
At 7.75 the Pelagos will fit perfectly. In the background is my blue TAG Carrera day date. It’s 41mm. Can one have 3 nice blue watches? Asking for myself… serious about the green comment above though, I’d be all in.
It’s just amazing how light the Pelagos feels when you see the size. I think it’s lighter than both of these. You’ll love it.

View attachment 15892037
I think you are allowed to have more than 3 :)

I have tried on the Pelagos and loved how light it felt. I love that it is titanium.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 · (Edited)
Gentlemen, thank you so much for your thoughtful comments. I sincerely appreciate your feedback and insights.

I think I am going to move forward with the Blue Pelagos. A few of your comments and pictures sold me on it big time.

I promise to post a picture once I have the Blue Precious on my 7.75' inch wrist.

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
I think you are right I need to add a Chrono. However, to complicate this, I think I want to flip my Seikos and get the Pelagoes to replace them and then get the Speedy '57 Broad Arrow for my first Chrono.

I might get slain for this I am not in love with Seikos, I bought these because I wanted, rather NEEDED a dive watch for a vacation my wife and I took. I spent all my money on the vacation, not the watch :)
My advice for collection “advice”: ignore it.

A watch collection is like a fingerprint. Nobody knows what your collection “needs”, only you know that.

There is no collection in the world that “needs” a GMT or a Chrono or a Speedy, etc. to be “well balanced” - by whose standards? There is none, except your own pleasure at looking at your watches.

If you don’t like chronos, don’t add them. If you only like blue dial, steel watches, just collect these.

You collection has the audience of 1 = you. It needs to please only you, that’s it.

Looking for inspiration is great, but stay true to your own desire and which watches speak to you and you want to wear on your wrist/own.

Be confident in your choices and if you grow out of love with a “cornerstone of every collection” sell it.

Cheers!

61 - 75 of 75 Posts