WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, I've been seriously considering getting adding a black bay to the collection. I love the black bay black but am hesitant to get one, because I ended up getting that as an engagement gift for my brother in law.

I'm currently looking at a black bay bronze and checked out the dark as well. Regular black bay fits perfect on my wrist by i am wondering if the bronze looks to big.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Or do I just snag the last ETA black bay they have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
353 Posts
I think the bronze looks great on you.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
There's an old adage on these forums among the more conservative wearers that a strap can't fix a watch that's too big. As I'm sure you know, some people will buy a watch too large for them, take it off the bracelet, and put it on a strap, as it will wear smaller. I've never thought that's a good fix. I believe you should buy a watch that fits on both the bracelet and the strap. Otherwise, the watch is wearing you, not the other way around.

This situation is a little unique, insomuch as the BB bronze only comes on a strap, and yet it features case architecture originally designed for a bracelet.

On your wrist, it fits, but barely. In some shots, the lugs appear to overhang, making it fall into the category of too big. But overall... It's right on the line. If it were on a bracelet, it would be far too large. And because of that, it seems a little off to me. It's just a bit much.

This is just my opinion, which admittedly leans more to the classic/conservative side of things.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's an old adage on these forums among the more conservative wearers that a strap can't fix a watch that's too big. As I'm sure you know, some people will buy a watch too large for them, take it off the bracelet, and put it on a strap, as it will wear smaller. I've never thought that's a good fix. I believe you should buy a watch that fits on both the bracelet and the strap. Otherwise, the watch is wearing you, not the other way around.

This situation is a little unique, insomuch as the BB bronze only comes on a strap, and yet it features case architecture originally designed for a bracelet.

On your wrist, it fits, but barely. In some shots, the lugs appear to overhang, making it fall into the category of too big. But overall... It's right on the line. If it were on a bracelet, it would be far too large. And because of that, it seems a little off to me. It's just a bit much.

This is just my opinion, which admittedly leans more to the classic/conservative side of things.
Ha thanks l lean more towards the conservative side of things and may agree. I think it just barely fits, hence I am on fence. Typically 40 mm to 41 mm is the perfect size for me. Though I do own a 44 mm khaki x wind that just barely fits my wrist. Even if it's big I don't really care I really like it.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
It wears pretty big but I think you can pull it off . I have tried a friends and it seems to wear a little smaller on the fabric strap.

·
Banned
196 Posts
Maybe. The pictures are deceiving for a couple of reasons. First, wrist shots tend to make watches look bigger. Second, your hand seems tilted down a bit which affects how the watch looks on your wrist. Only you can honestly assess if the lugs hang over your wrists. If they do, even a little bit, then the watch is probably too big. Beyond that "rule" it is a matter of taste. Divers are supposed to be big, but not that big in my opinion. The Black Bay bronze is 43mm and that size is well suited for people with 7" wrists and beyond. One last thing, in my opinion age plays a factor in borderline cases. I have seen older gentlemen trying to pull of big watches and they just look silly while a younger man can get away with it because it is a style thing. Having said all that, going just from the pics I think a 40mm-42mm diver would be perfect for you. The watches in the pics are borderline at best. Do you really want to buy a watch like that and be in the category of "pulling it off?" I certainly wouldn't. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
How big is your wrist?

6.75 and it's a little flat which is good for big watches. I think 43 is my sweet spot but I still think the BBB wears large. My 43 Navi and 45 Oris look smaller.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the advice. My wrist is between 6.5 to 6.75 so I think I'm actually closer to 6.5 because it looks like it fits you perfectly. I could pull it off but I think after all this discussion it makes me think how do I really "feel" about the watch. On paper it sounds really cool. I'm really into the Tudor because it has quality of it's big brother and can be viewed as understated. I realize I have a preference towards divers (own a SMP GMT & a SKX007). But at the end of the day, maybe it just didn't feel right on me. Most of my watches give me the right feeling that it's suited to my style etc. Not sure if I'm getting that from the BBB. I keep leaning back towards the regular BB. The proportions and everything about it are so interesting to me.

·
Registered
303 Posts
If you have any questions about whether it is too big or not, don't do it. I've bought two Panerai 44mm because I thought I could pull them off, and ended up selling both. Also bought the Bell & Ross WW2, and later sold it because I concluded it was too big.

·
Premium Member
9,209 Posts
Looks good to me. Just because the lug ends appear to be at the edges of your wrist, does not mean it's too big. Perhaps if you need to ask, then it is too big? A lot of guys these days do not seem to be bothered by the larger watches, even those whose lug ends extend beyond the edges of the wrist.

Perhaps if you could get a shot with the watch held a few feet, at least 3 or 4, from your wrist, we could get a better perspective. Close up shots like this make any watch look like it fits bigger on the wrist than it really does. For example, I have a 7.5in wrist. If I do a close up wrist shot of my 37mm Grand Seiko, it looks - from the camera's perspective - as though the lug ends of the watch almost hit the edges of my wrist. In fact, they are almost half an inch from the edges.

That is a beautiful watch.

·
Premium Member
11,948 Posts
My rule of thumb is that, if you have to ask the question, you likely already know the answer. Even though you like larger watches, this one seems a bit overpowering.

Oftentimes it is the watch. I wore lots of 45mm dive watches, and a few 46mm, before getting a 44mm DSSD. That watch looked so huge on my wrist that it put me off large watches for good. That BB Bronze might be doing the same thing for you. The regular model definitely looks better.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts