WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As title, what is the main difference between the 2 models (preferably if there is <41mm option) and the price point?

Thanks guys

·
Banned
5,821 Posts
Rather than ask us what the difference is, tell us what you like in a watch. You'll get better answers.

That said, to answer your question, there's two different kinds of Pelagos. The pre in house model and the more recent one that uses Tudor's in house movement. The In house model comes in two colors, black or blue, both containing Tudor's new COSC certified chronometer grade movement. The earlier model only came in black and contained a top grade 2824 instead. On all models, the case is made of titanium except for a stainless steel threaded case back. The bracelet is titanium except for the clasp, which I believe is Stainless (someone who owns one will tell me if I'm wrong). Speaking of the clasp, it's a state of the art adjustable clasp that is reported to be outstanding. The character of the watch is very utilitarian, as one would expect for a tool watch.

The Black Bay is stainless steel except for the anodized crown tube and bezel. There are 3 versions, which very in color scheme (Red, blue and black). All the versions use a top grade 2824. It is available on a very attractive leather strap or stainless steel bracelet that is appropriate quality for the price. The watch is a "heritage" watch in that it has a decidedly vintage vibe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
203 Posts
Pelagos. I just picked up the pre-in house one for a good price. The Black Bay is nice as well, but I just wasn't as impressed with the quality of it relative to the Pelagos. That said, you have to go to a dealer and see them both. They're very different watches.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the advice guys! A trip down to AD is must I know, but is good to gather some opinions from all you owners of Tudor watches here. To me the main factors to consider are 1) size (got small wrist), and 2) movement (if its the ubiquitous 2824 movement, would be better to just get a cheaper diver watch and save for something more worthwhile?)

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
thanks for the advice guys! A trip down to AD is must I know, but is good to gather some opinions from all you owners of Tudor watches here. To me the main factors to consider are 1) size (got small wrist), and 2) movement (if its the ubiquitous 2824 movement, would be better to just get a cheaper diver watch and save for something more worthwhile?)
In that case, the BB would better suit your needs. Both superb time pieces hands down but as you pointed out small wrist and looking for a 2824 movt, the BB would work for you. Good luck ! Post photos once you've scored one.

·
Banned
5,821 Posts
Might want to look at the North Flag too then. Smaller than the Pelagos and has an in house movement.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
To be honest the Pelagos and Black Bay both wear large and both have diameters at 41mm and above, so if size is an issue you may be disappointed when you try these on.

If you're set on a dive watch then again size may be an issue. There are many dive pieces, but the majority are 40mm and larger. Omega made a mid-size SMP at 36.25 and they can be had for reasonable value on the second-hand market. Their large SMP is 41mm, but it wears well and is very thin.

You can always buy an older Submariner. They're 40mm and wear extremely well (best in the world I'd say), but that may be price prohibitive based on your budget.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I had the Pelagos at first and sold it after a few months as I started to feel that the bezel made the watch look 'toyish'. Just my 2 cents worth. I would go for the new black bay...saw it last week at an AD and you can't beat it at that price point! :)

·
Registered
13,804 Posts
It depends what you're looking for. The BB is a modern vintage watch while the Pelagos is cutting edge tech. The Ti case and bracelet weighs less than the sub so it wears very nicely even though it's thick.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To be honest the Pelagos and Black Bay both wear large and both have diameters at 41mm and above, so if size is an issue you may be disappointed when you try these on.

If you're set on a dive watch then again size may be an issue. There are many dive pieces, but the majority are 40mm and larger. Omega made a mid-size SMP at 36.25 and they can be had for reasonable value on the second-hand market. Their large SMP is 41mm, but it wears well and is very thin.

You can always buy an older Submariner. They're 40mm and wear extremely well (best in the world I'd say), but that may be price prohibitive based on your budget.
I see. Yea budget is definitely an issue, and give my age (late 20s) I dont want to look too mature with my watch of choice, which is why pelagos hold certain appeal to me.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I see. Yea budget is definitely an issue, and give my age (late 20s) I dont want to look too mature with my watch of choice, which is why pelagos hold certain appeal to me.
I don't think a Sub can honestly be seen as a "mature" choice (or an "immature" choice); I think you can argue for some dress watches having an older vibe, but a classic sporty dive watch I just can't see it. I personally wouldn't want my watch to scream "young" or "immature", particularly if I expect to be wearing it in work settings. Obviously work settings vary greatly, so you need to make the right decision for yours. And also budget is budget though -- make the best choice for you there.

·
Registered
12,055 Posts

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Might want to look at the North Flag too then. Smaller than the Pelagos and has an in house movement.

Look what you did there. You ruined a great sunset with that left arm in the way .

Great picture, very nice watch too!

·
Registered
578 Posts
I bought the new "Blue" Pelagos. Love it and couldn't be happier. I then purchased a Red black bay which I like very much, but if I had to get rid of one it would be the black bay.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts