WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
8,419 Posts
Why not buy one then? It’s a buyers market.

Products I own:
  • +6 
Show off what you own too!

·
Premium Member
Tudor, Omega and...
2,097 Posts
Catch and release maybe, often common on anything new and exciting until the honeymoon wears off is my guess.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Part of it must be their popularity. If more people buy them you will see more second hand ones for sale.

But part of it has to be people like me. Who spend so much time on the internet that they become interested in the watches they see being praised all the time. And buy them on recommendation more than anything.

But ultimately, when wearing them in real life. No one notices or cares, and the online community is a distant thing. So ultimately it is all about what someone likes themselves rather than some convincing blog post by some celebrated connoisseur. And those kind of watches typically lose their appeal.

I have sold a Speedmaster, a sub, a black bay, and a Seamaster that way. What I kept? An Ulysse Nardin, a JLC and a Grand Seiko. All models people are generally not familiar with. The difference? I chose them myself based on hands on experience.

·
Premium Member
2,752 Posts
I’ve owned the BB58 (both versions), the BB GMT (2x), the BBR (ETA), BBN (2x, both ETA), both generations of the Pelagos, the last gen Ranger, etc, and they’re all gone.

I picked up the BB pro on a whim because it was sitting in the case at the AD. I ended up listing it right away but haven’t sold it, so I may give it a serious shot. It wears similarly to my Sea-Dwellers, which are my favorite watches, so why not.

Not a thing wrong with any of the Tudors I’ve owned, and given that I own many Rolex (and other brands), they weren’t bought as aspirational substitutes in lieu of anything else. I enjoy watches across many price ranges, levels of alleged prestige or whatever.

They all functioned perfectly well. I just felt like giving them each a try to scratch a particular itch at the time I picked them up and moved each along because I wanted to try other stuff.

Bottom line I don’t think my fickle nature or that of those of my ilk says anything negative about Tudor or the BB line at all. They’re excellent watches. My blue 79090 sub is still my favorite Tudor tho.

·
Premium Member
52,174 Posts
I really like the Black Bay 58, however I don’t own one, yet. Just curious as to why there always seem to be so many for sale. Is it size, smaller than folks thought, 39mm?

Thoughts?
All boils down to your wrist size and how it looks to you.

I have tried it in the store twice (the original and the blue) and I have no attraction to it so I passed on buying it.

People who are selling it can be either;
(a) bought during the hype OR
(b) bought it online sight unseen,
and discovered they didn’t bond with it.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
People bought in to the hype and then realized it's a good yet underwhelming watch. That's what happened to me at least. For me it just lacked something but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I bought a PO 39.5mm instead and I've had it for 2 1/2 years, which is a record for me.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The watch is an excellent piece and entirely rewarding if you buy it on its own merits. However quite a few people will have bought one for flipping, the hype, the likes - or the lookalikes.

I would imagine a number of those are now looking to get a P39, for the exact same reasons. All results in more BB58s in the market. Doesn't change the watch being amazing.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As I stated in my original post, I really like it but have not bought yet. Part of it for me is that even though I have a large wrist, 8 inch, I am ok with anything down to 38mm. However, I do hate that most bracelets do not accommodate a large wrist and extra links are always needed. I Know this and usually pony up the money for extra links.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
I really like the Black Bay 58, however I don’t own one, yet. Just curious as to why there always seem to be so many for sale. Is it size, smaller than folks thought, 39mm?

Thoughts?
They were "the watch" to have for several years. So, many were made and many were sold.

But fashion is a fickle thing.

These days, the "pro" or 39mm Pelagos are the hot things on IG or YouTube. BB58 has just fallen out of fashion.

Still a great watch, just not new any more.

·
Registered
150 Posts
First of all, I think they it's a great watch.
Secondly (and more importantly) every youtuber and review there is, was singing the same song... Buy a BB58 because is cheaper than a Rolex you can't buy from an AD anyway.

I think they all fell for Rolex's game. Get this because you can, and because it's readily available everywhere... So they did!!
Then the honeymoon period finishes... Et voilá, you can now see a ton of them for sale on the grey market

1 - 20 of 111 Posts