WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I saw this Connie earlier on Ebay and it was on with a BIN of £595 (if memory serves) or "make an offer" and it has been bought for £390. That is roughly $600.

It looks like a pup to me because the crosshairs don't go through the lettering, but, I have to say it looks pretty genuine otherwise. My only other question marks against it would be the "A's" don't look right and the letters in "CHRONOMETER" are perhaps a little squashed, and it is in perhaps too good a condition. The lettering isn't gold but it does look like it "might" be more silver than white and I believe some black dials did have silver lettering. Do you guys also think the script has been well done if not original, or if it is even a genuine pie-pan as it doesn't seem to clear-cut that it is, although the hands seem right for a pie-pan?

Are there any other flaws (if there are any flaws at all) I'm missing?

The guy was also careful with his wording regarding the dial.

Is it possible though that this one is original but someone thought it would look better if they put a cross-hair on it?

NICE GENTS "CONSTELLATION"chronometer PAI PAN" BLACK" on eBay (end time 05-Jan-11 19:28:48 GMT)

I'm doing my best to try and learn these things so using this example can you point out what makes this a good watch or a bad watch.

Cheers,

Phil

·
Registered
790 Posts
The dial is a a redial. The seller strongly implied the dial is original and it is not. Whether this through ignorance or fraud can not be determined. The watch is worth what was paid, no more.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The dial is a a redial. The seller strongly implied the dial is original and it is not. Whether this through ignorance or fraud can not be determined. The watch is worth what was paid, no more.
Hmmm, you can't help but think the worst and think him a fraud given it wasn't an amateurish selling page.

Check out this old listing which I'm pretty sure the seller in this particular case could be called a fraud....or at least to a degree:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Omega-Constellation-Solid-Gold-Black-Pie-Pan-Face-/200537053773

He had to be lying about the jeweler making him an offer. It has a 565 movement and I'm as sure as I can be that is a fake gold case as it has all those 191919 numbers (in what ever order).

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
agree. a pretty decent redial job though it even looks like there is a bit of patina on the enamel near the edges.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Agree this is a redial. However, even though the seller implies its original (at least that is how I read into "It is still in good condition and detailed over fifty years after its manufacture."), I don't think there is any evidence to indicate the seller was doing this knowingly. The watch also sold in the correct ballpark range.

·
Registered
315 Posts
My 2c:

Redial: the crosshairs should be a solid line in vertically (through all text) and horizontally (through text and under star) with no gaps.

Looks like a franken of parts.... different colour of the rotor, bridge, and parts (confirmed by.... my comments on serial number).

Serial number: not too clear, looks like a 23 million which puts it about 1966. I believe that 14393 -60 case (looks like, but can't tell clearly from the inside caseback) should be from around 1960 which would have 18-19 million serial number which this watch definitely doesn't.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My 2c:

Redial: the crosshairs should be a solid line in vertically (through all text) and horizontally (through text and under star) with no gaps.

Looks like a franken of parts.... different colour of the rotor, bridge, and parts (confirmed by.... my comments on serial number).

Serial number: not too clear, looks like a 23 million which puts it about 1966. I believe that 14393 -60 case (looks like, but can't tell clearly from the inside caseback) should be from around 1960 which would have 18-19 million serial number which this watch definitely doesn't.
Thanks! That's some valued imput indeed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts