WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the black IP ("ion plating") coating on some of the G-Shock watches resistant to scratches? I noticed models that have it tend to be more expensive. Would like to think it's more than just asthetic.

thnx |>

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I've found the IP coating to be fairly scratch resistant, but I haven't owned my Black IPs long enough to provide long term test data.

I like these watches for their appearance and the feel of the black IP in hand and on the wrist, also very stealthy, nice matte finish.

I have to admit that when I'm wearing a black IP watch I think twice about movements that might bang it. It's almost second nature now, like Spider Sense = Black IP Sense.

My GL-7000RF is black IP, great watch, I've got the black IP giez coming in soon, that one is only IP on the case with rubber strap.

I never think twice about banging Gs with rubber straps or traditional stainless steel bracelets.

cheers

·
G-Shock Mod
14,195 Posts
my short experience with the black IP coating has been positive.

i think the key word here is [scratch] "resistant" (not [scratch] proof)

if you treat it bad enough, it will get scratches (pretty much true for anything everything)

my $0.02 on it is that it looks cool, wear it and treat it with respect (doesn't mean you need to baby it, but you probably shouldn't throw it off the 25th floor if you don't want scratches on it, it will keep ticking though ;-) ).

if it got scratches, that's more character on the watch (and show that you put it to good use |> )

·
Registered
904 Posts
I can't comment on IP coat because I don't own any IP coated watches but I can say that DLC (diamond like carbon) coat on my Mr-G 7100 is 99.999% scratch-proof. Check out my post if you are skeptical. Good luck and Happy New Year:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts