WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great thread and pics by the current owners, and I was hoping to see any caseback shots of the Black Ops chronograph. I think I've seen about every angle except the caseback and wanted to see if it was a solid, or display and what printing is there as well.

Thanks guys!
Kev

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Really not much to see. Its a solid blank caseback with no notches for a removal tool. Looks like its a press on back. Not saying thats what it is but thats what it looks like. Some writing on the outside edge saying Phantom Chronograph-Pittsburgh, Pa 30 ATM Antimagnetic.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Good to hear it doesn't use a display back, I can't stand them, though I know others who prefer them. :) It's odd that there are no tool notches!! I can't imagine a press on back being WR to 300m, perhaps a monocoque case?

Kev

·
Registered
160 Posts
I kinda dig em. Wish I had one. Why don't u like em?
A display back on a so called "tactical watch" flies in the face of function. A tactical watch in the truest sense is a masterpiece of function and durability, while a display caseback is the hallmark of a show watch. Years ago, Michael Kobold sent me an Endurance to test and evaluate under extreme conditions including diving, rappelling, air insertions, etc, and before I even agreed to accept it for testing, I requested he replace the display back with a solid back, or I could never take it seriously as a tactical watch. By the way, the current Black Ops has a screw on case back with no detents for opening. To open it, you need a special opener that grips the surface and turns.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Cool info on the back , glad it's not a press on. I agree on the display back. It should be an option only. Those of us doing black ops raids and hostage rescue can go without the glass back. Those of us who just get in the occasional fire fight can have it.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Question about the case back, how you the case back be screwed on tight without the notches? My Endeavour has notches, but my old Soarway diver did not. It just seems you can get the back tighter with notches. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I think a rubber ball type opener is used to open a case back like this. It does seem a case back with notches would be capable of tightening the back on more effectively. Just what is "tight enough" for water resistance, I'm not sure this is quantified. certainly, I've never heard of using a torque wrench to put on a watch case back.:-d

1 - 8 of 8 Posts