WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

That's not a book, that's a watch case!

You will all know that "Grand Cru" is a classification for good wines, and coffee. Nespresso has several Grand Cru coffee cups in its collection.

Willem Kamerman, CEO of Blancier watches (made by Lottermann & Soehne), is a watch and a coffee lover, and thought of this new concept: not to recycle, but to upcycle!

Upcycle you say? Yes, he uses the used coffee cups for the dial of his new "Grand Cru Watch Collection" (0.4mm height). That's upcycling (re-use of an existing product), instead of recycling (melting metal to produce a new product).

Willem, together with watchmaker Till Lottermann, exhibited his brand new collection in Noordwijk, The Netherlands today. My daughter and I decided to visit him to check the collection out. It was worth the total of 3.5 hours drive in heavy traffic and bad weather.

Below is Willem showing and explaining the unusual watch case to my daughter. Can you tell, from the picture, that he is a man with a passion? :-!

On the right you will see the upcycle logo designed by Blancier:

And you can't miss the Unitas movements! They come in many different decorations (which increases the price). Every Unitas movement is being worked on, because there is no seconds hand in the new collection.

Till shows a couple of the watches. He's wearing a Blancier on each wrist. The shirt is also an invention of Willem. Pretty cool, if you ask me:

Some models from the current collection, side by side:

Till, me, and Willem:

Willem proudly showing the Blancier Grand Cru "book" again:

Two models my daughter liked:

and the one I liked the most:

Good price tag!

and we were not the only ones, trying on Blancier watches:

This woman was considering either one of these two:

Till behind his workbench, Willem behind the watch window:

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Unique concept, I'll keep an open mind.. the materials used in the face are presumably plastic, will they not eventually decompose?

On a separate note, I'm sure this picture will raise a few eyebrows with the fashion-conscious:

Kindest Regards,
Portauto

·
Premium Member
20,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Not plastic, it is aluminum:

Nespresso is the brand name of Nestlé Nespresso S.A., an operating unit of the Nestlé Group based in Lausanne, Switzerland. Nespresso machines brew espresso from coffee capsules, a type of pre-apportioned single-use container of ground coffee and flavorings.
Till takes out the paper filter inside the capsule and removes the outer ring. Then he compresses the capsule to flatten it to 0.4 mm.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Interesting concept. I hope he used a stable plastic, not one of the new "environment friendly" ones. They decompose fairly rapidly ( UV, moisture etc).

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Not plastic, it is aluminum:

Till takes out the paper filter inside the capsule and removes the outer ring. Then he compresses the capsule to flatten it to 0.4 mm.
I'm not sure flattened aluminum is something I'd want on my wrist, but I can imagine no two are alike? Interesting for sure........

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Now that is art! Beautiful movements, artistic dials, I like what I see! Wow; these are actually reasonably affordable. From the looks of the pics, I was expecting them to be priced higher.

·
Registered
844 Posts
As a Nespresso user, I never thought of those little capsules as potential watch dials before. Interesting watches regardless.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Did not everyone get the memo about the scarves...??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts