• Vacheron Constantin Overseas

Votes: 9 39.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready to add another watch to my collection, and I'm having trouble deciding between these two. I will own them both eventually, just trying to figure out where to go first. What would you do?

Thinking about availability and pricing, as well as how each one fits with what I have now. The Bathyscaphe seems to be here to stay, but I am not sure how the availability and pricing of the Gen 2 Overseas will fare over the next few years. I am considering the Dual Time as well. I would lean toward the white dial on the Overseas (even though that makes it more similar to the IWC I have), since the Bathyscaphe only comes in one color.

blancpain-fifty-fathoms-bathyscaphe-automatic-black-bezel-grey-dial-bracelet-watch-p2317-4517_im.jpg
47040B01A-9093-Vacheron-Constantin-Overseas-Date-Stainless-Steeljpg.jpg va54a.jpg 666.jpg

My current collection for reference:
DWIP7ixRATXX-toKMrKYw5OHAHYzkPbxi4u-_8bLl_4OwszUeFW41vwuU39wB5MxIqmAyICrKtQOqnjwIoYf1qgZ02WJaRZB.jpg

·
Registered
496 Posts
Such a tough call! I have a bathy and a VCO3. The bathy is indestructible. The VCO is much more of an all arounder. Honestly - I can't decide which way to counsel you if I had to pick!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe the bathy comes in a sunburst blue as well, but I personally have a soft spot for the Overseas Dual Time.
It does, and the ceramic cases are very nice, but the bracelet is a must-have for me, so that limits me to the gray dial in a steel case.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
My current collection for reference:
View attachment 14493687
Personally, I’d ditch a few of those to realise the funds to get both pieces you’re talking about.
Habring is a brand that I’d love to support, but they make absolutely nothing that I find remotely interesting.
Oris, Longines, Zenith (both of them) – meh.
Nomos – their world timer, in a better looking case/lug design, is the only one which I could get excited about.
Breitling and the ubiquitous orange bezel OP – as appealing as sitting on a red hot poker!

Sometimes, less is more, and this would be one of those times.
Get yourself an IWC Aquatimer 2000 on bracelet, as with the quick strap change mechanism, you can add a rubber strap to give you options on how it looks, leaving you free to opt for any Bathyscaphe, even if it means sticking to just the sailcoth strap on most versions of it, unless you’re a bracelet person.

That said however, I don’t see what the Bathyscaphe offers over the VCO and Pioneer. Don’t get me wrong, I do like the watch, but the FF and Aquatimer, with their full lume bezels have more appeal.
Even the Blancpain FF Trilogy (early 2000s) and Chopard L.U.C Pro would be further up the pecking order.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Personally, I’d ditch a few of those to realise the funds to get both pieces you’re talking about.
Habring is a brand that I’d love to support, but they make absolutely nothing that I find remotely interesting.
Oris, Longines, Zenith (both of them) – meh.
Nomos – their world timer, in a better looking case/lug design, is the only one which I could get excited about.
Breitling and the ubiquitous orange bezel OP – as appealing as sitting on a red hot poker!

Sometimes, less is more, and this would be one of those times.
Get yourself an IWC Aquatimer 2000 on bracelet, as with the quick strap change mechanism, you can add a rubber strap to give you options on how it looks, leaving you free to opt for any Bathyscaphe, even if it means sticking to just the sailcoth strap on most versions of it, unless you’re a bracelet person.

That said however, I don’t see what the Bathyscaphe offers over the VCO and Pioneer. Don’t get me wrong, I do like the watch, but the FF and Aquatimer, with their full lume bezels have more appeal.
Even the Blancpain FF Trilogy (early 2000s) and Chopard L.U.C Pro would be further up the pecking order.
I appreciate the time and thoughtfulness put into your reply. Now I'm going to disagree with you a bit, hehe.

• I actually am getting rid of a few things already, to consolidate: Most notably a Speedy, Bremont Supermarine, and JLC Reverso, plus some smaller stuff.
  • The Zenith tri-color isn't going anywhere, we'll have to disagree on that. I could see a case for giving up the Captain Winsor, I just think the coolness of an annual calendar at that price point is too hard to pass up for now. It does break my "rule" of one watch per brand, though.
  • The Oris and Longines are my all-rounders for work stuff. They go with anything, I can bang them around in airports, and they have dual-time/GMT functionality. I catch your point though, they do seem a bit out of place, especially the Oris. I may upgrade the Oris to a UN Dual Time at some point.
  • The Nomos is a sentimental piece, bought as a pair with my wife.
  • I actually owned an Aquatimer 2000, but it was too chunky for me. I never wore it.
  • Sorry, I love the PO and Navitimer. And the Habring2, how can you beat the uniqueness of a Foudroyante?!

I usually will opt for VC, but looking at your collection, I would go with Bathy
Agreed. Had your collection been more varied I would have said VC but Blancpain will stick out more and be more unique.
I agree with you two, and I had fully intended to go Bathyscaphe, but I got spooked by the rising prices on steel integrated-bracelet sports watches from top brands, and wondering if the time to strike on the VC is now. Plus, the allure of owning a "trinity" brand, whatever that's worth.

I'd go dual time, lovely h Moser btw!
Thank you!

·
Registered
496 Posts
I agree with you two, and I had fully intended to go Bathyscaphe, but I got spooked by the rising prices on steel integrated-bracelet sports watches from top brands, and wondering if the time to strike on the VC is now. Plus, the allure of owning a "trinity" brand, whatever that's worth.

Thank you!
This is why I went with the VCO - in addition to already having a bathy. It doesn't look like you intend to sell your IWC ingenuer? It's not the same level but it is similar in style to the VCO. I will tell you that the place I bought my VCO3 from offered to buy it back at a premium.... I took it to the boutique in NYC and they commented on the demand and how these watches are drying up. There is that AND the fact that it is a member of the trinity AND as far as having variety in a collection it comes with 3 options for strap/bracelet. IMO these attributes make it a very compelling consideration.

The Blancpain is finished VERY nicely but not as nice at the Vacheron. That being said - it's a tank and indestructible. I don't dive so I wear mine on leather and for me its more of a tool watch because of how I use it. The rotating bezel is great for timing things - the best Chronograph that people don't think about.

Also - I do have a contact that you should talk to if you decide on the Blancpain. PM me and I'll share his contact info. I also know someone considering selling their personal one.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is why I went with the VCO - in addition to already having a bathy. It doesn't look like you intend to sell your IWC ingenuer? It's not the same level but it is similar in style to the VCO. I will tell you that the place I bought my VCO3 from offered to buy it back at a premium.... I took it to the boutique in NYC and they commented on the demand and how these watches are drying up. There is that AND the fact that it is a member of the trinity AND as far as having variety in a collection it comes with 3 options for strap/bracelet. IMO these attributes make it a very compelling consideration.

The Blancpain is finished VERY nicely but not as nice at the Vacheron. That being said - it's a tank and indestructible. I don't dive so I wear mine on leather and for me its more of a tool watch because of how I use it. The rotating bezel is great for timing things - the best Chronograph that people don't think about.

Also - I do have a contact that you should talk to if you decide on the Blancpain. PM me and I'll share his contact info. I also know someone considering selling their personal one.
Thanks for the comments. The VCO3 doesn't do anything for me, but my guess would be that increased demand would boost prices on the VCO2 as well, seems like it sort of already has. It is unfortunate that it is so similar to the Ingenieur, but the Ingenieur has quickly become one of my favorites and taught me that I really love white dialed sport watches. I suppose I could convince myself to change it out for a Portuguese at some point if I feel it's too redundant with the VCO2.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Thanks for the comments. The VCO3 doesn't do anything for me, but my guess would be that increased demand would boost prices on the VCO2 as well, seems like it sort of already has. It is unfortunate that it is so similar to the Ingenieur, but the Ingenieur has quickly become one of my favorites and taught me that I really love white dialed sport watches. I suppose I could convince myself to change it out for a Portuguese at some point if I feel it's too redundant with the VCO2.
I know this is a "High End" forum but even though I have a VCO, I am still considering a Zenith Defy Classic with the blue dial. Similar to your IWC, just a simple, beater kind of watch that's indestructible and comfortable for everyday while it can go with anything. There's definitely a place in any collection for these but yours is so close to the VCO in style that I'd lean towards Blancpain if that was my collection that I was supplementing. In isolation - Vacheron would be my pick.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Sounds like you need a silver dial APRO :)
I got one recently and it is for me the best integrated bracelet sport watch out there, and I had tried most...

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds like you need a silver dial APRO :)
I got one recently and it is for me the best integrated bracelet sport watch out there, and I had tried most...
That is on the list for sure, although I preferred the black dial when I tried them on. Just waiting for prices to come down, and to be ready to step up to that price bracket.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Blancpain bathyscaphe for me. As you said you have similar watch as the Vacheron.

Στάλθηκε από το LM-G810 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
I had intended to purchase the VCO Dual Time this past spring, but when I saw it in the flesh at the NYC boutique I was disappointed. Went with the Bathyscaphe instead and have never looked back.

80FBF1DC-70CA-4C48-8CB7-7B0205F6D8BB.jpeg

1 - 20 of 32 Posts