WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both are within my price range. Do any of you have either watch or have an opinion of why you prefer one over another? blancpainleather.png Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 9.53.37 PM.png

·
Registered
138 Posts
The JLC for me.
Agree. Everyone seems to say that JLC takes complicated dials and lays them out well. This is a perfect example. The blancpain moon phase seems in your face compared to the subtle JLC. I really like the full year FS the leap your indicator and overall I like hashed much better for indices.

The tone of the dial on the JLC is striking and the case angles and lugs seem to flow.

It’s a great looking watch.

Of course the blancpain is nothing Tom it special. I don’t have ands in experience with that model but with a bathyscaphe I can tell you.. holy crap it does not even loose a second.

Good choices to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Another vote for the JLC, which I think has the more legible and aesthetically pleasing design. Although I personally prefer the black dial version. More versatile, plus the year window more closely matches the black of the dial. Depending upon what year you get, the JLC white dial version's calendar year doesn't quite match. I think they fixed that more recently, but don't hold me to it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So far my wife loves all you guys since the JLC is the less expensive of the 2 watches! :D

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Agreed with everyone else so far... The JLC looks better to my eyes. Cleaner and more modern looking.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
872 Posts
JLC all day

Blancpain is a dead brand that was bought to cash in on someone else's history. Biver paid only $20K to buy the Blancpain name...how can you justify paying $20K for a single watch from a brand like that?

·
Registered
138 Posts
JLC all day

Blancpain is a dead brand that was bought to cash in on someone else's history. Biver paid only $20K to buy the Blancpain name...how can you justify paying $20K for a single watch from a brand like that?
If brand and value is only related to history, then there are many suckers who buy watches for high prices. Quality of workmanship, ascetics, blending of lines... there is a lot that goes into making an amazing watch. History is part of it and I love the golden watches of the 60s but surely there is more than lore. If there is not than just go buy a bunch of speedMasters and seamasters and drink the history and movies. I agree Blancpain was revived but that should have no bearing on the value a watch made by them is worth.

One writer said it well. If James Bond wore a fifty fathoms the whole watch world would look different and likely the better for it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for your insight. I agree with you. Arnold & Son is a perfect example. It was a name revived but the quality of the workmanship is outstanding IHMO. The Blancpain watches I've seen (and the one I have) is outstanding!

If brand and value is only related to history, then there are many suckers who buy watches for high prices. Quality of workmanship, ascetics, blending of lines... there is a lot that goes into making an amazing watch. History is part of it and I love the golden watches of the 60s but surely there is more than lore. If there is not than just go buy a bunch of speedMasters and seamasters and drink the history and movies. I agree Blancpain was revived but that should have no bearing on the value a watch made by them is worth.

One writer said it well. If James Bond wore a fifty fathoms the whole watch world would look different and likely the better for it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I found this Blancpain reference much nicer looking

From those two it’s the JLC for the same reason as everyone above.

·
Registered
220 Posts
JLC all day

Wait... What?! :-s:-s:-s

Differences in opinion = |>

But What history you ask? How about this:

After Biver took over, Blancpain created a movement for day date month and moonphase which was the world's smallest at the time.

They then made various complications like perpetual calendar, an ultrathin, a minute repeater, a split-seconds chronograph and a tourbillon. (You could buy 6 variations of the watch above like a collection).

Then they created a watch with 100 hour power reserve.

And lastly they created the worlds Most complicated watch at the time which combined all of the above features into one single watch.

Not too bad for a $20,000 watch company with no modern history eh?

·
Registered
496 Posts
JLC all day

The quality of any Blancpain is incredible. My Bathyscaphe is a tank. I perceive BP to be a higher end brand that JLC and made my vote purely on the aesthetics of the watches in front of us. If History of a brand mattered that much then GP Laureato would cost more than a Nautilus second hand;)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts